Which relationship will be better: Lang and Pym's or Batman and Superman's?

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
I find it interesting that these two superhero movies, coming out within 3 weeks of each other, will be using a similar crutch for the relationship of the two main characters in the film. Pym will be an old, weary, retired veteran who "mentors" Lang. Batman will be an old (not as old as Pym obviously), weary, retired hero who will "mentor" Superman. Which film do you think will pull of this dynamic the best come July 2015?

Certainly one will be more iconic than the other. So even if the execution is better in Ant-Man, the other pair are already well established. Plus Ant-Man may come off too similar to other formulaic mentor/protege relationships in Hollywood. Like Hopkins/Banderas in Zorro. Things of that nature. Marvel likes to play it to a formula and I don't see them deviating too much from that norm.

Bats/Supes will be dealt with on a much grander scale. I just hope they don't make it some trite encounter, even though this will be the first time they will share time on the silver screen together. I don't want to see them working together in the same shots until the last 15 minutes of the film or so.

So my predicition is Marvel will go for the more formulaic route and play off the Pym/Lang dynamic throughout, while BvS will try to maintain the iconic status of those characters by giving them their own space to breathe for much of the film. Marvel runs the risk of making a run of the mill genre movie with superheroes. WB runs the risk of watering down what Batman and Superman are about. In other words, we need to see the stark contrast in BvS and what makes each hero great in his own right. With Ant-Man, we need dynamic characters with great chemistry. That's how the projects will differ and be great in their own right.

Last edited:
Certainly one will be more iconic than the other. So even if the execution is better in Ant-Man, the other pair are already well established. Plus Ant-Man may come off too similar to other formulaic mentor/protege relationships in Hollywood. Like Hopkins/Banderas in Zorro. Things of that nature. Marvel likes to play it to a formula and I don't see them deviating too much from that norm.

Bats/Supes will be dealt with on a much grander scale. I just hope they don't make it some trite encounter, even though this will be the first time they will share time on the silver screen together. I don't want to see them working together in the same shots until the last 15 minutes of the film or so.

So my predicition will be Marvel will go for the more formulaic route and play off the Pym/Lang dynamic throughout, while BvS will try to maintain the iconic status of those characters by giving them their own space to breathe for much of the film. Marvel runs the risk of making a run of the mill genre movie with superheroes. WB runs the risk of watering down what Batman and Superman are about. In other words, we need to see the stark contrast in BvS and what makes each hero great in his own right. With Ant-Man, we need dynamic characters and with great chemistry. That's how the projects will differ and be great in their own right.

Good post.
But one major point to take into consideration besides the story and the characters themselves is who's directing. Wright's main claim to fame is working the buddy dynamic in his Cornetto Trilogy; it'll be interesting to see how he translates that British wit to a couple of American superheroes from very different generations. And I personally think Snyder is a good director and don't agree with a lot of the hate aimed at him; but his history is primarily with ensemble casts, not a dynamic duo. It'll be a challenge for him, sure; but I think he'll wind up finally getting the kudos he deserves for this film.

I don't want to turn this into another Snyder bashing. I think Watchmen was a major dissappointment and merely served as a commercial for a very obscure comic title that the majority of the people knew little about. It didn't really hold the source material to a higher light in the general public's eyes, and that's why I consider it a failure on all levels. Sucker Punch? Not even gonna comment on that one. Now I'll lay off Snyder, for now...

But how does Snyder handle an ego like Affleck though? This only works negatively for Affleck, which is why I am shocked he took this role. If BvS is average like MoS, Affleck looks like he sold out. If there are problems with the script and the story overall, he can't blame Snyder, because people realize that Synder is what he is at this point. A director with more gravitas would have been held to a higher standard and been more accountable. Affleck must be that big a fan, so kudos to him. He is probably the only guy in Hollywood that could make people forget about Bale, but this is a monumental task to pull off. If he didn't think he could be the best Batman to date, he should not have taken the role. Batman is Snyder's favorite character so if he can't get this right, he's done in my eyes as far as major blockbuster films.

A bit on Wright, I enjoyed the trilogy, but honestly, British humor leaves a lot to be desired. He gets great performances from his actors no doubt. He's original. But how does he handle this caliber of actors? This is not Brandon Routh and Michael Cera we are talking about here. I feel he is at a cross road here. If he ever wants to move into mainstream American cinema, he needs to deliver here. He'll get other opportunities in the future, but this is huge for him. The last thing we need is a great actor like Douglas becoming another punchline as DeNiro and Pacino before him. I have more confidence in Wright than Snyder, that's for sure.

Definitely Pym and Lang. After all, the only thing in their way is a little theft. Superman and Batman have a whole destroyed city to cause hostility and distrust.

:D

Batman and Superman only working together the last 15 minutes? Hell no.

but I think he'll wind up finally getting the kudos he deserves for this film.
now that's mean. I'm pretty sure he won't get shot, hung, run over by a stampede of bloodthirsty elephants or burnt alive. how can you imply such thing?

Batman and Superman only working together the last 15 minutes? Hell no.

Fighting together the last 15 minutes, communicating only at the end of Act II or beginning of the Act III. I don't think Batman should appear until well over half way into the film. This should be a Superman film first. That's just my preference. Less is more in this case.

, but honestly, British humor leaves a lot to be desired. .
whoa! there are arguably not that many people that would agree with you on that one and I'm certainly not one of them.

Wright is good at dialogue and fast pacing. The movie will be concise and entertaining. I know I will enjoy the antman chemistry. Whether I like it better is still to be decided.

The amount of people who know superman and batman is probably equivalent to those who don't know antman. So just that in itself will give superman and batman an easier acceptance by the general audience. People know what superman and batman have to offer and what drives them. It is almost inherit. Not to mention they have new movies to fall back on. Antman comes out from knowhere and will be introduced for the first time on screen.

As far as chemistry. I know I will like wright's take. As far as Superman and batman, I have issue with a few things I know will ruin the chemistry for me. It depends on their interactions. I just can't see batman besting superman in his own movie or I might call BS.

I find it interesting that these two superhero movies, coming out within 3 weeks of each other, will be using a similar crutch for the relationship of the two main characters in the film. Pym will be an old, weary, retired veteran who "mentors" Lang. Batman will be an old (not as old as Pym obviously), weary, retired hero who will "mentor" Superman. Which film do you think will pull of this dynamic the best come July 2015?

crying_running.gif

Judging by directors? In the past I say Wright has done relationships better than Snyder.

Judging by actors? A toss-up. I love Cavill and Rudd. Douglas is a pro. Affleck is often better than he gets credit for.

Judging by the characters? Being unknown will most likely work in Ant-Man's advantage. Batman and Superman have to live up to so many expectations. However their dynamic is so much more impactful to so many more people than Pym/Lang.

Batman/Superman has been delayed until 2016 so this thread is kind of a moot point now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"