Who Could Replace Thanos as the Next Big Bad Villain of the Universe

The Leader likely would have been used as well if not for Disney's purchase of Marvel. I assume he could be used, I think a Gamma World film would be brilliant going off the EMH example. They just don't want any headaches with Universal.

Plus with Doom as the next big bad of the universe you could build towards another future Infinity War like scenario

Plus with Doom as the next big bad of the universe you could build towards another future Infinity War like scenario

I posted that a Thanos like build-up with another villain probably wouldn't happen, but then it hit me that Doom in a Secret Wars scenario seems inevitable. :up:

Doom in Secret Wars would be epic

Something different.

Dark_Avengers_(Earth-6091).jpg

Or since Thanos is going to be defeated in Infinity War and since X-Men's rights have now reverted back to Marvel I could see either Mr. Sinister or even Magneto himself as the new big bad for the MCU.

Something different.

Dark_Avengers_(Earth-6091).jpg

Personally, I'd love to see the Dark Avengers, because if there's one thing lacking in MCU is a villain super team. WB seems like they will introduce the Injustice League with that after credit scene from JL, but I want to see MCU makes it first.

I wouldnt mind seeing a longer arc of them beginning to deal with mutant issues in the wake of Infinity War.

Juggernaut is on the rampage, Hulk and Spider-Man have to team up to take him down.

A phase dedicated to Apocalypse and then to Dark Phoenix and finally AvX done well?

sounds like a mighty fine introduction of mutants to the MCU.

I wouldnt mind seeing a longer arc of them beginning to deal with mutant issues in the wake of Infinity War.

Juggernaut is on the rampage, Hulk and Spider-Man have to team up to take him down.

A phase dedicated to Apocalypse and then to Dark Phoenix and finally AvX done well?

Yeah, I think the influence of the infinity stones would be a good excuse for Mutantism in the MCU-- Although there is a lot of work to be done to explain Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine. But I'm sure Feige has an army of writers working on that as I'm writing this.

Time and reality stones go haywire and lotsa crazy **** can happen. Throw the mind gem in there that gave the twins their powers?

Gotta be something there.

Last edited:
Time and reality stones go haywire and lotsa crazy **** can happen. Throw the mind gem in there that gave the twins their powers?

Gotta be something there.

I have often thought about that too. Using the stones somehow to usher in the Mutants. Whatever happened with Scarlett Witch/Quicksilver seems like it was a blatant set up in case they ever got the mutants back.

It's interesting to hear people talk about mutantcy caused by the infinity stones. That seems pretty counter to the evolution origin that they're supposed to have. That might be hard to reconcile for some fans.

As I'm thinking about this... Apocalypse and Phoenix work better as X-Men-specific villains because of their themes and weaknesses. But there is one X-Men villain who menaces the entire Marvel Universe well, that could be added to the very short list of peers of Thanos.

XzKBaWw.jpg

Onslaught is the line that separates the two phases of the X-Men comics, the original phase where the X-Men are built up and the current phase where the X-Men are largely static and the X-students are built up. He works as an endpoint for the stories of both Xavier and Magneto and I would argue he works much better as grounds for AvX than splitting up the Phoenix Force and having half the X-Men be on the Avengers to fight the X-Men.

I just don't see why people think mutants need an explanation. They're the next step in human evolution, so instead of them having been around, all you need to do to explain it is show that mutants being widely known is new. Before that, if they were around, few if any were aware. It's not hard.

^Agreed. You really need to explain *not mutants* so you can keep the normal one word explanation intact.

Kang The Conqueror would make sense too

1. Norman Osborn- We already have the Spider-Verse setup within the MCU why not build upon it? Osborn can be quite formidable.
2. Doctor Doom- Mentally I can't think of a single villain with the charisma or cunning of Doom. Only thing holding this back is that Fox deal.
3. Kang- We've heard of time travel in Avengers 4, or so rumors suggest. Why not use this as an opportunity to introduce the Conqueror into the MCU. Perhaps the alterations of time Strange did and likely Thanos will do, attract him to the timeline?
4. A Team Of Villains- Would be a great thing to see if Marvel didn't kill 90% of their villains.
5. The X-Men- I just wanna see that AvX, and perhaps in the end they team up to beat something greater.

Honorary Mention: Galactus, but I feel as if that's too easy, for lack of a better term. The others would be a challenge to pull off right.

Last edited:
AvX only works if all the X-Men are adults, which is unlikely for several years. Assuming the X-Men are mainly young adults/teenagers, is it really a good idea to have a movie where the Avengers are beating up kids?

AvX only works if all the X-Men are adults, which is unlikely for several years. Assuming the X-Men are mainly young adults/teenagers, is it really a good idea to have a movie where the Avengers are beating up kids?

All of the X-Men are never adults though, right? Like... there's always a group of kids at the school that are at least technically able to fight. Not disagreeing, just thinking there might need to be some mechanism to fight only the adult X-Men no matter when the story is.

All of the X-Men are never adults though, right? Like... there's always a group of kids at the school that are at least technically able to fight. Not disagreeing, just thinking there might need to be some mechanism to fight only the adult X-Men no matter when the story is.

True, but you could always in the movies just have adult X-Men if you wanted AvX. As it stands right now, I think watching the Avengers fight a bunch of kids would be a bad look, LOL! It's bad enough Tony dragged one into a fight with Captain America.

True, but you could always in the movies just have adult X-Men if you wanted AvX. As it stands right now, I think watching the Avengers fight a bunch of kids would be a bad look, LOL! It's bad enough Tony dragged one into a fight with Captain America.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the school is kind of the cornerstone of the X-Men mythos. You can't have only adult X-Men if you have the school, can you?

And it's so interesting to me that Tony's putting Peter in danger wasn't framed in a very negative light, in fact, it was framed as an overall good thing in line with Tony's typical adorable irresponsibility and bolstered by our desire to see this particular kid fight.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the school is kind of the cornerstone of the X-Men mythos. You can't have only adult X-Men if you have the school, can you?

And it's so interesting to me that Tony's putting Peter in danger wasn't framed in a very negative light, in fact, it was framed as an overall good thing in line with Tony's typical adorable irresponsibility and bolstered by our desire to see this particular kid fight.

I'm saying it's an issue if you're adapting Avengers vs X-Men. Not an issue with an X-Men film in general. I agree, it should be that way. But, if you adapt AvX, then it becomes a little uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"