Who did the Best and Worst Job in Concealing Their Secret Identity? (Pre-Civil War)

The Ski Mask

Civilian
Reaction score
Of all the Marvel Super Heros, who do you think did the best and worst job in concealing their secret identity from the public before the Civil War.

Spider Man:The first thing that he did with his power is to enter an wrestling contest as "Spiderman." Honestly, I am surprised that the wrestling promoter did not realize that Spiderman is "Spiderman."

Bad Job.

Iron Man:Sure, the corporate mascot thing is nice. But you reveal your own identity to get a job as Secretary of Defense? For god sake, you are the richest Marvel Hero! Is monitoring the use of your inventions really that important?

Decent Job.

Hank Pym: A new strategy, have multitudes of alias to confuse the public and readers (ex: Myself). Auction off his identities and assciate powers once bored with it.

Great Job

Daredevil: Honestly, you make $121, 000 a year as an lawyer. Is it really that expensive to buy two types of blindman's cane? One for daytime job as Lawyer, other as Daredevil? Oh, I am blind and I can't see the colour of my cane. Oh, and did I mention that his identity got busted by a tabloid magazine?

Poor Job.

Hulk: Turning into a raging monster and return home in ripped shirt and pants, and no one realize your true identity and execute you? You are one lucky guy.

Decent Job.

Fantastic Four: Do I even need to talk about them. They are one of the first mask-free superheros. And hey, they don't need a secret identity, they are the Fantastic Four.

N/A

Punisher: Do he can shot a guy on in front of the press, blast him way through Mobster HQs, have his face posted on the net and news, and he can still walk around with no one realizing he is the Punisher. He is just lucky.

N/A

Captain America: Do this guy even have a secret identity? Afterall, he is govenment employed until recently?

N/A

Superman: I know he is DC, but what the hell... Putting on a pair of nerd glasses and acting like a wimp as Clark Kent, and being strong and magnificent as Superman. I guess acting does have its use...

Great Job.

Batman: Again, a DC. He may very well have done the greatest job ever to protect his secret identity. There is practically no link between Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Amazing Job.

Thor: He is a god, he don't need a secret identity. Oh wait, he is weak little Donald Blake if Beta Ray Bill stole his hammer again.

Didn't do squat.

Sentry: Having everyone forgot about you and got married? Gee, Superman rip-off really, really...

I don't know, I don't like rip-offs.

The X-Men: Do they even have a secret identity? Oh wait, they registered as mutants...

???

The Ski Mask said:
Captain America: Do this guy even have a secret identity? Afterall, he is govenment employed until recently?
He had a secret identity until the early 21st century, around the time volume 4 was launched.

It was a supremely pointless secret, really, as evidenced by the fact that the reveal didn't change anything. The guy's got no supporting cast apart from other heroes and, intermittently, SHIELD types like Sharon Carter and Nick Fury; and his family is dead.
The X-Men: Do they even have a secret identity? Oh wait, they registered as mutants...
???
They did until the start of Grant Morrison's run, again in the 21st century.

Spider-Man and Daredevil have each let the cat out of the bag a couple of times, only to wrestle it back in; in Daredevil's case, it's particularly silly, given the number of times he's been exposed and/or faked his death.

X-Men never really needed the secret identities anyways. They were never used that often.

And when you're trying to conduct research on how well secret identities have been kept, why bother mentioning the Sentry if you're just going to call him a Superman rip off and not rate him in any function? Every super hero comes from Superman, and some from pulp detectives like the Shadow.

Sentry is more of an homage to Superman than anything else. Adding in the Void, was what made him more than just another guy who can do just about anything. Really Marvelized him by giving him such a huge flaw. And having to make everyone forget he exists to save the world? You'd never see that happen to Superman. If you denounced everyone derived from Superman, you'd have a small list of characters left.

I just don't think Mr.Reynolds deserves the bad rap he repeatedly gets.

Also, I don't think Bruce Banner ever tried to have a secret identity, it's not like turning into the Hulk has ever been a concious decision on his part. Plus, I don't think anyone ever called the Hulk Bruce Banner and someone went "No way! Really?"

Marvel doesn't have the best track record of their heroes protecting their secret identities.

Daredevil didn't do too bad until Karen Page made a muck of things.

That Bruce Banner is the Hulk is publically known and always has been.

spidey always did a good job,regardless of some folk finding out,he always managed before to keep it concealed.

Silicon Surfer said:
That Bruce Banner is the Hulk is publically known and always has been.
not at first it wasn't:ninja:

Spidey did a good job.

Iron Man, not so much

The X-men didnt have a secret identity. They talked freely to the public and didnt hide who they were. Look at Archangel, Dazzler and Beast for example. The secret that Morrison let out was that Xavier was a mutant and up until that point he was just some figure who spoke for mutant rights but the public didnt know he was a mutant himself. They also didnt know that his school was a school for mutant children to learn to use their powers. But as far as the individual members go, nope theres no secret identity there

Why are people who don't have secret identities on the poll?

yenaled said:
Why are people who don't have secret identities on the poll?

I couldn't think of any other heros.

And about my Sentry comment...

Oh come on, that guy IS a Rip Off. Look at the Sentry's S on his stomach, look at the guy's costume, and look at the guy's power. I am just surprised that DC didn't filed a lawsuit against Marvel.

However, I will admit the "forgotten deeds" angle of Sentry is really, really touching. Just work on the costume and attribute, ok?

i voted Sentry because he did the best job of making absolutely no one care about him or his identity.

I would say Sentry as well, but mainly because he made everybody forget who he really was. Including himself. Now that's how you keep an ID a secret.

Worst is definaltly DD. Damn near every girlfried he ever had knew his secret. One even sold it for a hit of smack for christ's sake.

Reed Richards, everyone knew who he was.......

I chose hank be mistake,i think its thor.Hes a god who happens to use a mans body somtimes,everyone knows him as a god.I think he does the best.

The Ski Mask said:
Of all the Marvel Super Heros, who do you think did the best and worst job in concealing their secret identity from the public before the Civil War.

Spider Man:The first thing that he did with his power is to enter an wrestling contest as "Spiderman." Honestly, I am surprised that the wrestling promoter did not realize that Spiderman is "Spiderman."

Bad Job.

Eh, he probably doesn't remember what he looks like all that much. I know I wouldn't go around claiming I knew who he was, when I didn't.

That, and Spider-Man wasn't looking to be a hero at the time. That came AFTER his wrestling.

The Ski Mask said:
Iron Man:Sure, the corporate mascot thing is nice. But you reveal your own identity to get a job as Secretary of Defense? For god sake, you are the richest Marvel Hero! Is monitoring the use of your inventions really that important?

Decent Job.
I know if I could control atomic and nuclear weapons, if they were my design, I would.

That, and he convinced the world he wasn't Iron Man again, and then revealed his identity. So letting his identity go, and then concealing it again, making everybody believe it? He has the best identity keeping of them all.
The Ski Mask said:
Hank Pym: A new strategy, have multitudes of alias to confuse the public and readers (ex: Myself). Auction off his identities and assciate powers once bored with it.

Great Job

He did okay.

The Ski Mask said:
Daredevil: Honestly, you make $121, 000 a year as an lawyer. Is it really that expensive to buy two types of blindman's cane? One for daytime job as Lawyer, other as Daredevil? Oh, I am blind and I can't see the colour of my cane. Oh, and did I mention that his identity got busted by a tabloid magazine?

Poor Job.

Eh.

The Ski Mask said:
Hulk: Turning into a raging monster and return home in ripped shirt and pants, and no one realize your true identity and execute you? You are one lucky guy.

Decent Job.
Not so much that people don't know it's Bruce Banner, as much as they don't know what he looks like. Tons of people know who the Hulk is.

The Ski Mask said:
Punisher: Do he can shot a guy on in front of the press, blast him way through Mobster HQs, have his face posted on the net and news, and he can still walk around with no one realizing he is the Punisher. He is just lucky.

N/A

Once again, he's not like some big time super hero or villan, he's just...there...normal. Nobody has any serious interest in him other than the police.

The Ski Mask said:

N/A

He did originally, in WW2, I believe.

The Ski Mask said:
Thor: He is a god, he don't need a secret identity. Oh wait, he is weak little Donald Blake if Beta Ray Bill stole his hammer again.

Didn't do squat.

Actually, it was a damn good disguise. And Thor later on became unrestricted to his hammer.

The Ski Mask said:
Sentry: Having everyone forgot about you and got married? Gee, Superman rip-off really, really...

I don't know, I don't like rip-offs.
Eh, your loss really. The Sentry is a great character.

Though he was married before he made the world forget about him.

The Ski Mask said:

???
Is that the orange head of bias I see poking through?

Mistress Gluon said:
Eh, he probably doesn't remember what he looks like all that much. I know I wouldn't go around claiming I knew who he was, when I didn't.

That, and Spider-Man wasn't looking to be a hero at the time. That came AFTER his wrestling.

Wouldn't he at least have some record of Parker, and didn't Parker himself display his power in the wrestling match.

He did okay.

I was confused about Ant-Man, Giantman, Goliath, Yellow Jacket...

Once again, he's not like some big time super hero or villan, he's just...there...normal. Nobody has any serious interest in him other than the police.

Did you read Punisher War Journal #1 v.2?

Is that the orange head of bias I see poking through?

What orange head?

I doubt he'd have a record of Parker, since it was kind of just show up and get paid in cash from what I understood.

And I didn't read that issue of Punisher, I guess I done should. Was that the one he killed Stilt Man in?

Mistress Gluon said:
And I didn't read that issue of Punisher, I guess I done should. Was that the one he killed Stilt Man in?

Yes, he killed Stilt-Man, Jack-O-Lantern, Jester, and Tinker in that issue. S.H.I.E.L.D hired a free-lance G.W Bridge to apprehend Frank. Frank also got a new Micro-Chip in that issue.

Sentry. Nothing says annonymous like a f'ing global mind wipe.

Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"