Comics Who is greater Spider-man or Superman?

S

spidey333

It seems as if Spiderman has the mantle of being the world's greatest and most popular hero. Is this because people identify with Spider-man more than Superman? I would like to hear some answers to this question.

It seems as if Spiderman has the mantle of being the world's greatest and most popular hero. Is this because people identify with Spider-man more than Superman? I would like to hear some answers to this question.

Well Superman is still the greater of the two, if SR was in league with Raimi's Spiderman films a boost and introduction to the Man of steel for this generation would have been succesful.

it is because of mass media, and the movings being "better" for the general public, but i also believe that the average person relates to spidermans problems better, his problems seem everyday and grounded in the real world in the midst of being super, while supermans problems are often "out of this world" which makes them harder to relate to

Spider-Man is doing better right now because his films create the same experience Superman: The Movie did 30 years ago. If a Superman film could recreate that feel it would probably bring Superman to the top again.

it is because of mass media, and the movings being "better" for the general public, but i also believe that the average person relates to spidermans problems better, his problems seem everyday and grounded in the real world in the midst of being super, while supermans problems are often "out of this world" which makes them harder to relate to

Different people find different things to relate to. One of the many things that I always liked about Superman is the fact that, aside from the alien background & superpowers, his upbringing was so normal, rustic, and low key. I always liked the fact that he came from nowhere and became one of the world's greatest heroes. That was something I've related to coming from the middle of nowhere myself. My town wasn't too different from Smallville, actually...and I'm quite glad to be rid of it.

Since when?
Superman has been contuinually published for twice as long as Soiderman has existed, has had like 12 movies made, seveal tv shows, a radio show, massive merchanidsing over a 60 year period, and even defeated the KKK in our world.
As much as I love spidey, he has another 30-40 years before he can even be counted in the same league.

I think you mean Spider-Man's taken the mantle of being the world's highest grossing hero. You might say that's more Sam Raimi's doing than Spider-Man's.

It was already said before,but Superman is the greatest.Spider-Man is indeed a great character also,but he`s been hyped up lately.Try speaking of Spider-Man in the 1990`s and you would only hear refrences to the cartoon.

Really to compare like this is very one sided. What one man does with the superhero doesn't make that who the superhero is. Spiderman certainly doesnt own that mantle. The movies may have high grossing but then again thats more because it delievered what people want(what singer doesn't understand). I can go outside right now and ask people questions about superman and spider-man. More will know about supes then spidey. Hell superman goes beyond knowledge of the character, where talking about many metaphors and allusions.

For me, Superman IS the greatest superhero ever. Spiderman is cool, but in a world where all the crap he deals with is rather similar to what a good deal of people deal with in real life, I just think that it doesn't hold that imagination factor. Don't get me wrong, the whole 'radioactive spider' thing & all the rest are definately imaginative, but sometimes the storylines are too gritty.
With Superman, the 'idea' of this 'Super Hero' is something that, for as cliqued as it sounds, people can look up to. Let's face it, even some of the most hardened bad@$$es will still get the 'S-shield' tattooed on their bicep. Superman goes so far beyond mere 'comic book' or 'movie' or 'merchandising'. He IS all those things that he has stood for over the past 60+ years......And he shows even the most weak outcast that there is something to try to aspire to be. And he does it in a rather non-assuming way. He plays to the inner hero in each and every one of us. He lets us find our own 'Super Hero' that is always just under the surface & needs a nudge to emerge.......

:super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super:

Comic book movies are reinventing these heroes and Superman has not been able to do that. They refused to change the formula from the older days and his movie reflected that. And unlike Spidrman they refuse to stick with the source material. We cant identify with him anymore.

Spider-Man is more popular these days, because Superman is selfless, which people can no longer relate to. Spider-Man (in the movies) deals in revenge and grudges, everything is personal to him, which is what today's audience likes; a man who uses his powers to take care of his own problems.

Superman locked up the official "world's greatest superhero" title some 30-40 years ago. I mean c'mon, even the little starving half-naked child in Khatmandu knows who Superman is. Eeeeverybody knows big blue. Not to say Spidey isn't up there in global popularity, but I'd say he's better matched against Batman.

Superman locked up the official "world's greatest superhero" title some 30-40 years ago. I mean c'mon, even the little starving half-naked child in Khatmandu knows who Superman is. Eeeeverybody knows big blue. Not to say Spidey isn't up there in global popularity, but I'd say he's better matched against Batman.

Popularity and greatness are in no way the same thing.

Superman started it all. They're both GREAT!
Spidey has become the GREATEST @ the Box Office though!
Tom Welling as SUPERMAN would fix that right up.

Why is this even a question? Are you some kid with no knowledge about comics?

this is like asking who's greater Batman or Spidey.

If there was no Superman, there'd be no Spiderman. Think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"