Who saw the original movie in theaters?

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I did when i was 8 years old as i recalled the year prior to it's release i heard on Starlog and Comicscene earlier in january of 89 at 7 that a movie was in the works, i was excited then later in december of that year i was shocked by seeing a photo of Leonardo in live-action. I remembered seeing Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in theaters i saw the teaser to this movie and i was like "Wow, that looks awesome".

I saw it opening day when i lived in San Diego and WOW, what a movie. I saw it 4 times and loved it as i had and still own the CD soundtrack and had the cards, t-shirts, Burger King stuff and archie adaptation. I thought it was a great adaptation of the comics which i had read since i was 6 but fused it with the cartoon at the time.

I was also eight years old when the original "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES" hit theaters in 1990. By then I was naturally a big fan of the cartoon series and quite honestly it was hard knowing a boy in elementary school (and even some girls) at the time who weren't. The sure popularity of that franchise in the late 80's to early 90's was really something to have experienced, and can't be easily duplicated or explained. Even POKEMON in it's prime was nowhere near that insane.

At any rate, I don't honestly know how long the film had been in theaters when I saw it. What I do know was that on one weekend I was attending a birthday party for a friend from school, who was roughly 3 years older than me. It was a big shindig at his parents' house and the highlight was his parents and various relatives marching everyone about a half mile to the movie theater to see the flick; I think in total there were 20 of us. The theater was so packed that we all had to split up and sit pretty much wherever there were seats. When I'd usually gone to films with my mother I'd usually sit in the front with her, and the theater was so packed I was reduced to the back; it was the first time I'd seen a film from the back of a theater. Naturally the theater experience was insane. The audience would respond to seemingly every major line or beat in the film. It was naturally something unreal to see live action Turtles for a kid, and considering the film was PG compared to the cartoon it was like the "big kid" version of the Turtles. The tone of the film was dark, there were PG level "cuss" words like "hell" and "damn" in it. There were naturally a lot of differences from the cartoon - as it was closer to the original comics, which as a kid I knew little about - but it wasn't to such a vast degree that nobody could follow it. I distinctly remember one older girl sitting in front of me who was seemed genuinely concerned at the climax of the film when the Turtles were seemingly no match for the Shredder. This was not the often hammy, cheesy version from the cartoon who could be undone with a pizza to the face and a trip; this was basically the Darth Vader version. I also recall being surprised when Leo actually cut him with his sword; I sort of considered it "against the rules" to actually cut someone with a weapon in a cartoon, since naturally violence was mostly suppressed by censors on TV 'toons. At the end of the film, the reaction seemed deafening.

It was also a surprise to see Casey Jones play so big a role in the film, since he'd really only been in a few episodes of the TV show at that point. They were memorable to me and I've always thought Elias Koteas' performance in the role has often been forgotten by fandom a bit. Yeah, I imagine his bit in "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3" was basically for the paycheck along with everyone else involved in that farce, but that first time in was the balls. Plus, that mask prop was awesome.

I saw the sequel in theaters a year later, but the theater experience is probably something which has yet to be duplicated to me. The 2002 theater experience for "SPIDER-MAN" came very close, but still wasn't quite there. I'd actually seen "MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE" and "SUPERMAN IV" in theaters when they were new, too, but this experience was naturally far superior. I went to quite a few films with my mother once I was old enough to sit still for them, but "TMNT" in the 90's is among my fondest experiences there as a kid; can't think of much which compares in my memory besides "THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE".

Last edited:
I was in 6th grade when I saw the first movie in theatres. I remember I kept telling mymother that Splinter use to be a man, who got turned into a rat ( because I didn't know about the original Mirage comics at the time ).

Was 5 or 6 when I saw it in theaters. I don't remember the details of the night, but I do remember feeling like I was in heaven, and was SO sad when the movie ended. Also saw the sequel in theaters, and even went to the concert they had. Fun times.

Wasn't it also awesome to see the turtles kick some ass and cuss?

i was 5 years old when the movie came out and my parents took me to go see it. the theater i went to see it is now a 24 Hr Fitness.

i was yet to be conceived. but i watched it all the time growing up.

I did when i was 8 years old as i recalled the year prior to it's release i heard on Starlog and Comicscene earlier in january of 89 at 7 that a movie was in the works, i was excited then later in december of that year i was shocked by seeing a photo of Leonardo in live-action. I remembered seeing Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in theaters i saw the teaser to this movie and i was like "Wow, that looks awesome".

I saw it opening day when i lived in San Diego and WOW, what a movie. I saw it 4 times and loved it as i had and still own the CD soundtrack and had the cards, t-shirts, Burger King stuff and archie adaptation. I thought it was a great adaptation of the comics which i had read since i was 6 but fused it with the cartoon at the time.

HA !! I still own the soundtrack for both movies too. My favorite songs are

This is what we do : MC Hammer

Spin that Wheel : Ya Kid K

9.95 :Spunkadelic

Family : Riff

Turtle Power : Partners N Kryme

Ninja Rap:Vanila Ice

Creatures of Habit : Dan Hartman/Spunkadelic

Back to School: 5th Platoon

Find the Key to your life : Cathy Dennis

I can't remember. It was so long ago. I know I saw the original trilogy as a kid in some format. I owned the second one on VHS, saw the third one on pay-per-view, and probably rented the first one, I just don't know if I ever saw any of them in theaters.

I wasn't big on the Turtles cartoon in the 80s, (I loved the theme song, though the show itself bored me) but I loved the Konami games, collected the action figures, (Sadly now they're pretty much all broken or missing) toys and loved the first two movies. I remember the TMNT Fruit Snacks and Fruit Pies with green filling..

sigh.. memoriesssssss..

Last edited:
HA !! I still own the soundtrack for both movies too. My favorite songs are

This is what we do : MC Hammer

Spin that Wheel : Ya Kid K

9.95 :Spunkadelic

Family : Riff

Turtle Power : Partners N Kryme

Ninja Rap:Vanila Ice

Creatures of Habit : Dan Hartman/Spunkadelic

Back to School: 5th Platoon

Find the Key to your life : Cathy Dennis

Same here, i own the soundtracks to both on CD.

Did you find this movie faithful to the comics?

Yep. The first one was, and the second was a combo of the mirage comic and the fred wolf toon, kinda like the archie comic.

I saw all four in the theater and enjoy all four of them.

Didn't see the first movie, but saw the second movie in the theaters. My sister wanted to see something else, so my aunt flipped a coin and I won :)

I didn't get to see it in the theaters, but i just rented it and watched it at a friends house, i really enjoyed . but it was to short it should of been longer

I saw the original in theaters and loved it and it is still one of my favorite movies as a 27 year old adult. Still think it will never be topped in live action. Loved the 2nd one and saw it in theaters. Hated the 3rd but did not see it in theaters. Liked the 4th in CGI a lot and watched it in theaters.

Regrettably I never did. I still love and adore this film with a passion. Damn shame what happened with the sequels.

Kind of like how Batman TAS was a combo of Burton and comics

Exactly. The 1st movie was a religiously faithful adaptation of the Mirage books. The 2nd film built on the continuity of the 1st, but was a lot more influenced by the toon.

I saw all three original films in the theater each on opening night.

Yes. I still remember waiting in line at the United Artist theater that used to be in seedy pre-Giuliani times square. I even remember that we went to Pizza Hut afterwards :woot:

I was 7 years old. At that point in my life, i'd never been as hyped for a movie. I remember the friday it was released I woke up way earlier than normal(which was weird for a school day) and got out the local newspaper and just stared at the ad for the showtimes at the local theatre. I wanted to go so badly that day but my parents wouldn't let me. Back then, we never went on Fridays, only on Saturdays. I thought the wait till the next day would kill me. After school that day, I came home and the local news was covering the crazy lines around the block at the movie theatre for the turtle movie. The Saturday I actually went is kind of a blur but I remember loving the ***** out of it. When it came on video tape I watched it so much that the tape literally broke from overuse. Like Dread said, the turtle mania sweeping the nation at the time was unlike anything we've seen since(with the exception of maybe Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers). I had so much turtle "stuff"(toys, blankets, coloring books, candy, etc.) that my friends at school called me Ninja turtle boy lol. It was a wonderful time to be a child. I even have fond memories of getting certain turtle figures but this topic is just about the first movie so...another day :)

Yes. I still remember waiting in line at the United Artist theater that used to be in seedy pre-Giuliani times square. I even remember that we went to Pizza Hut afterwards :woot:

Heh. That's back when Pizza Hut was still more of a sitdown restaurant. Back then, i felt special when we went to pizza hut lol. Seemed like around 1992 or 1993 it became more delivery based and less like an actual place to eat dinner at.

I didn't get to see it in the theaters, but i just rented it and watched it at a friends house, i really enjoyed . but it was to short it should of been longer

Didn't the VHS version cut a scene from the theatrical version where two Foot fought the Shredder for the bandana instead of Shredder just putting it on one of the Foot as it was shown on the VHS realease?

I know it was written in the movie novelization

Didn't the VHS version cut a scene from the theatrical version where two Foot fought the Shredder for the bandana instead of Shredder just putting it on one of the Foot as it was shown on the VHS realease?

I know it was written in the movie novelization

Think that was just in the novel. I don't remember seeing that in theatres or on Vhs. I know a couple of scenes were cut or altered from the original released version. There is a scene in the comic book adaptation from Archie that showd Tatsu breaking a foot soldier's neck and killing him for making him look bad in front of the Shredder, while in the movie, he just beats him up. And the end of the Comic adaptation shows the cut scene where April and Danny go to a major comic book company and try to sell her sketches of the turtles she did at the farm, in hopes of it becoming a comic book, and the publisher turning her down saying that the concept was " too far-fetched", with the turtles looking on from outside the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"