Who should direct the Avengers?

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
And what kind of movie should it be?

Now, this will be the first time anyone will have seen a big budget superhero crossover movie. It's one of the oldest superhero teams, with some of the most iconic superheroes ever. Superhero movies usually do very well at the box office, with the Spider-Man movies having broke box office records.

I thinkthey ought to throw as high a budget as possible at an Avengers movie, and get the very best and most prestigious director they can for the job.

I'd say do it with either Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi.

Peter Jackson directed the LOTR trilogy. He knows how to handle a large cast of characters, as well as making a movie very epic in scope as well as entertaining. He'd be a good choice too because I believe either Avengers should be 3 hours, or a couple of them should be filmed back to back.

Sam Raimi is another good choice because he made Spider-Man an extremely succesful box office hit. He can direct a very entertaining and very action filled Avengers movie.

Who do we know is going to be in the Avengers movie?

The following are all safe bets...

Hulk
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America

Does the movie even need more heroes in it than that?

What storyline should the movie follow?

Obviously, the temptation to have Hulk go berzerk for some reason and have the rest of the heroes have to take him down is too much. That's definately going in, you can count on it.

My personal wish, and it's a bit of a pipe dream, is that different movie studios 'let' out whatever Marvel characters they have the rights to so they can appear in an Avengers movie.

There is going to be a Magneto movie - if that movie can introduce Wanda and Quicksilver, bang! Two Avengers members.

IF my pipe dream idea of different heroes from different movie studios being in one movie is realized, then we can have an Avengers movie that follows the Civil War storyline.

If the movie can't have characters from other studios, that's fine. A couple of B listers like Hawkeye and Vision can still be introduced. The Disassembled storyline could be done at some point.

There is going to be a Magneto movie - if that movie can introduce Wanda and Quicksilver, bang! Two Avengers members.

That's Fox, though. The Magneto film isn't being done by Marvel Studios.

It hurts me to say this as a big Evil Dead fan, but I don't want Raimi doing this. I want a humorous action movie, not an overly serious (where was spiderman's witty banter?) love story.

If Favreau has already expressed interest in it I wouldn't have any problem with him helming it. As long as it ain't Ratner or Story then we're off to a good start. Mark Steven Johnson though well he's a hit an' miss really. I'd prefer he not be involved either. And I do hope the rights to Ghost Rider end up at Marvel where he belongs some time soon.

I don't think any director should be crowned yet. I think they need to evaluate LL's movie, Favs movie, see what they have from Cap's director, and assuming the Vaughn not being on Thor anymore report is right, look at what they have in Thor's director.

We can't just crown Favs director by default. He did a great job, but let's wait and see on the others before a decision is made.

BTW, this also could of been made in the Avengers thread...no new thread was warranted. I see a merge in the future.

You know. People might think I'm crazy, but I'd like to see Johnathan Frakes get a shot at a superhero movie.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

It hurts me to say this as a big Evil Dead fan, but I don't want Raimi doing this. I want a humorous action movie, not an overly serious (where was spiderman's witty banter?) love story.

The Spidey movies had much humor :huh:

I did not know Hulk was going to be in this, I know it's all just speculation at this point but Hulk appearing in the film, wrecking havoc fighting the Avengers would be great.

As for a director.. I dunno, Jackson might be good. I think getting a good script / budget together is the most important stuff right now. That and making the Thor and Cap movies as authentic as Iron Man was.

I dunno if you know this Dangerous...

Slight spoilers for Incredible Hulk...

Robert Downey Jr. has a role in Incredible Hulk as Tony Stark.

So I'd say there's a good chance Hulk will be in the Avengers movie.

Quentin Tarantino directing!!! Lots of talking and long panning shots. Here's a scene...

Captain America: So, Tony... You know about who presidential election thing. Seems theres a woman in the race...

Tony Stark: Yeah, world moves fast when you've been frozen for 60 years or so huh?

Captain America: Well, yeah. And there's this other who happens to be...

Tony Stark: Black? Yeah we don't talk about that. Don't mention that again. Not exactly PC. He's a good guy though.

Captain America: So, umm... who you gonna vote for?

Tony Stark: Whoa! I don't talk about political preferences. Nope, especially not with the guy who has a star on his forehead. Did you do much travel?

Captain America: Yeah! Sure. Well, I was in France and then shipped out to Vietnam. That wasn't a good thing there.

(Nick Fury walks by...)

Captain America: Hey Nick, I was just telling Tony how I was in France. You know what they call...?

Nick Fury: (pauses) Why the F*&% would I know about any god*&^%$# thing in France? ! And don't ask me about politics because one of them is so old he's ready to kick the bucket before he can get into office.

Captain America: Do you really think he deserves to die?

Nick Fury: Yes he deserves to die and I hope he burns in HELL!!!!

(Of course I'm being absolutely silly.)

Alex Proyas.

Sam Riami.

Paul Verhoeven.

Joss Whedon.

Alex Proyas is a good pick.

So is Danny Boyle (28 days later, Trainspotting) and maybe David Twohy (Pitch Black)

Wonderful film! I would be very happy if Alex Garland wrote the Avengers script as well as Sunshines

Give Favreau it. Come to think of it, give Favreau any goddamn movie he wants.

It should be a team effort of

Jon Favreau
Louis Letterier
Matthew Vaughn
Edgar Wright (If Ant-Man ever gets made)
And whoever does Captain America

Not all of them would want to direct the same film, but have some of them produce it or something.

Favreau! He gets it! He gives the fans what they want and what he wants as well. I know some people say Raimi but the Spidey movies are corny as hell as far as re-watchability. He doesn't always get it as far as what he wants and what the fans want. So I say Favreau.

Whenever people try to think of directors of this project they pick the most unrealistic, least possible of happening pipe dream choices. It's always Jackson, Spielberg, Cameron, etc. Let go of these silly notions guys, not going to happen.

Also there are other directors in the world that are also competent and arguably more competent than the ones listed above.

Favreau expressed interest in Avengers already. And if anything he really started it with Iron Man. Iron Man was the first real Marvel Studios movie where everything begins. I see no reason Favreau can't be a likely candidate. He's proven that he can work with multiple genres. He's proven he can work with low, middle, and high budget pictures. He's directed 4 features. And he enjoys doing them and wants to do more. If it's not broke don't fix it. Make Favreau the Sam Raimi architect of this storyline.

Why are people talking about Matthew Vaughn? I like Vaughn but he's not on Thor anymore. Kick Ass if Vaughn does it likely won't work into this.

David Twohy? Umm no. Bad suggestion.

Someone to note is Paul Greengrass. Greengrass came very close to almost doing Watchmen before it fell apart. Also Gore Verbinski. And maybe even Brad Bird depending on how his transition to live action turns out.

Alfonso Cuarón or Ethan Coen
Joel Coen <--- i'd like to see what they could do out of pure interest

I dunno if you know this Dangerous...

Slight spoilers for Incredible Hulk...

Robert Downey Jr. has a role in Incredible Hulk as Tony Stark.

So I'd say there's a good chance Hulk will be in the Avengers movie.

Yeah I knew that, fingers crossed huh?

Long way off tho- The Avengers.

I'm just pumped about watching Iron Man again, plus Hulk, Bats and Punisher!

:im: :bh: :brucebat: :unishr:

...might as well get Favreau to direct, Downey would probably prefer him to be a part of this..

favereau is my choice by far. i imagine he will do in battle dialog really well, and if he has the right people around him, like he did with iron man, he could get the job done visually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"