Who should direct the DOCTOR STRANGE movie?

Jordacar

The Endless One
Reaction score
Doctor Strange needs a director who is comfortable with elaborate special effects and a grand dimension-spanning scope, but also has a keen eye for telling Strange's emotional journey from arrogant, broken genius doctor to Sorcerer Supreme.

The first one that comes to mind is Alex Proyas (The Crow, Knowing, Dark City), but based on what I've seen, I suspect he would want to take control of the script and put his own spin on it that might stray from the source material. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, who else could do it?

me.

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind seeing Terry Gilliam direct it. It's never going to happen but I would like that.

Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted, Nightwatch, Daywatch)
Juan Antonio ("The Orphanage" spanish film )
Vincenzo Natali (Splice)
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later)
David Slade (30 Day of Night)
Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In)
Andrew Leman (The Call of Cthulhu) if they wanna take a chance

apart from the obvious choice of Del Toro

Del Toro - he has expressed interest but the fact that he said he would not have the costume is a deal killer to me. GOTTA have the costume, or at the very LEAST, the cloak (and it must be massive with a life all its own) and the amulet.

Cuaron - would be good especially if he used the film format he used in HP3. That washed out look would be great for Strange especially in the Himalaya footage.

Tim Burton - a teamup between he and Depp could be good if he took it seriously with none of the silliness of Batman Returns.

Regardless whoever does it, the closer to the source material (Ditko) they stick, the better it will be. And if they could somehow capture that patented Ditko otherworldly scenery, that would make me very happy!

It's Guillermo Del Toro?!?!?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Kaboom/news/?a=19854

"Now comes word from the direct source that said Edward Norton and Jeremy Renner would be confirmed for The Avengers at Comic-Con 2010, that the director of Doctor Strange will be Guillermo Del Toro and should be announced later this month at Comic-Con 2010 as well."

I want Del Toro! (and Hellboy 3 as well)

Check this out....Ron Howard. Ron still has that manner of whimsy from his Splash/Willow/Cocoon days. And I did like Angels and Demons.

Last edited:
I was watching Sorcerer's Apprentice the other day, which was helmed by Jon Turteltaub (who also directed the National Treasure movies). Anyway, Turteltaub wouldn't be at the top of my list, but the film had tons of energy and plenty of slick visuals; I would love a Strange movie that has that kind of scope to it.

Even though Apprentice wasn't a hit, I could definitely see Disney pushing for Turteltaub; he seems like the safe, audience-friendly choice. He strikes me as kind of a button-pusher. So with him, it would come down to having a killer script.

I see I suggested del toro back in 2010 (nice thread necromancy by the way), probably the ideal choice but also very, very unlikely. he would need more time to do it than edgar wright. alfonso cuaron is a solid choice too, but probably way too expensive for MS. my usual suggestion for MS movies is duncan jones but I doubt he fits the world of sorcery, he is more into smart sci-fi.
so I'll throw vadim jeans name into the mix. cheap, a history with fantasy adaptations and did wonders with a very small budget.

Yay! Someone else saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I LOVE that movie. It was my favorite film of 2010.

I agree that with the right script, Turteltaub could work. I like del Toro but he's doesn't seem too dependable...I'm still waiting on that Haunted Mansion movie...

Curaon could also be good and I would be curious what Benh Zeitlin would do with it. He's proven himself able to mix the fantastic with reality.

Guillermo DelToro. Or at least get him involved as a producer; he could provide plenty of creepy backdrops and strange creatures interacting in the foreground and background..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"