Who will bring the humor in the MOS sequel?

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
One of the major complaints was the seriousness of MOS, how it lacked lightheartedness and humor. I'm not saying we need to roll in the aisles; no one's looking for Jim Carrey and Steve Carell tyoe shenanigans, but a little more humor would be nice.

The question I have is....do we want humor, and if so, what character will we get it from?

In the TDK trilogy, some characters played off Bruce Wayne for some added light-hearted humor (Alfred, Lucius Fox, Jim Gordon), and of course Catwoman, Scarecrow and the Joker had their moments.

So far I've heard most folks want Lex Luthor in the sequel. And not the Gene Hackman Lex, or the snide Kevin Spacey Lex. Most are looking for the cold, calculating, corporate businessman/techno-genius Lex. I'm okay with that, but that guy isn't funny. And I doubt that version of Lex will have a menagerie of bumbling stooges to provide comic relief.

The secondary villain maybe? Bizzaro - I can definitely see some possibilities there. Not so much Metallo. I still see Lobo as a wildcard option, but I don't think others see any chance of that happening.

I can see Lois being that to a certain extent, maybe Perry White. Jimmy Olsen has always been a go-to guy for comedic moments in Superman. Within the Planet there are definitely possibilities.

As you said in your last paragraph, the Daily Planet is the perfect place for humor/lightheartedness that some critics were looking for. Barely anyone wants a return to Reeve/Donner lightness and also no one (aside from general critics) want Iron Man style humor either.

I like the way Man of Steel is right now, but to get some clever lines/laughs the Daily Planet is the place for that to happen.

We don't want humor. Leave humor to Marvel.

Jimmy, Otis as the comedy reliefs. :D
should lex luthor be surrounded by some fools and bimbos again? :D

have Lex be a straight up sarcastic a**hole. could bring the lulz.

Bring in Jimmy Olsen and that should be enough.

Honestly, I call BS on MOS not having humor. It did have humor; just not the amount of humor critics want. Critics were expecting the same cheesy humor from previous film incarnations. It seems to me as if a lot of them are under the impression that you cannot tell a mature and serious story with Superman and that Superman should be stuck in the Silver Age forever.

No more humor then what was in Man of Steel please... I didnt walk out of the theater thinking "Oh boy, I sure wish I had laughed more!"

Man of Steel humor was perfectly fine. Whether it was Faora smiling or the preacher gulping it was enough. Please do not go to the level of Marvel where a character spouts off a quip 15 seconds after someone dies.

Humor can be done without punchlines. Marvel does punchlines. And I quite enjoy the punchlines Marvel has.

It can be funny just by conversation, or just by action.

Maybe when Clark feels bad about the destruction he cause in Metropolis, Martha Kent can tease him a little be and say that he was always destructive even as a baby. Then you can show the wreckage and craziness it was to have a Supertoddler running around wrecking havoc and have a fun physical comedy bit where Jonathan is chasing him around but busting his ass in doing so.

Go back to present and have Marth laughing so hard about those tough days in rasing an kryptonian baby.

Clark needs a buddy like Jimmy Olsen (I think a toned down Shia Labeouf would be great but people may not like that idea). Go to the bar, dance with chicks and have Clark dance like a complete idiot. Jimmy tellling Clark to stop embarassing himself.

Those things are fine. And fit very nicely in the Synderverse of Superman. DP Clark is here, its time to be a little funny. NO PUNCHLINES.

No more humor then what was in Man of Steel please... I didnt walk out of the theater thinking "Oh boy, I sure wish I had laughed more!"

Man of Steel humor was perfectly fine. Whether it was Faora smiling or the preacher gulping it was enough. Please do not go to the level of Marvel where a character spouts off a quip 15 seconds after someone dies.

Yep :woot: The worst thing Goyer and Snyder could do is try to force in humor in response to some critics. In fact some of the worst dialogue in the film were the ones that were clearly trying to get a laugh ("I think he's kinda hot," "stop measuring *****" etc...). Those were groan-worthy lines because they were so forced/unnatural.

Humor can be done without punchlines. Marvel does punchlines. And I quite enjoy the punchlines Marvel has.

It can be funny just by conversation, or just by action.

Maybe when Clark feels bad about the destruction he cause in Metropolis, Martha Kent can tease him a little be and say that he was always destructive even as a baby. Then you can show the wreckage and craziness it was to have a Supertoddler running around wrecking havoc and have a fun physical comedy bit where Jonathan is chasing him around but busting his ass in doing so.

Go back to present and have Marth laughing so hard about those tough days in rasing an kryptonian baby.

Clark needs a buddy like Jimmy Olsen (I think a toned down Shia Labeouf would be great but people may not like that idea). Go to the bar, dance with chicks and have Clark dance like a complete idiot. Jimmy tellling Clark to stop embarassing himself.

Those things are fine. And fit very nicely in the Synderverse of Superman. DP Clark is here, its time to be a little funny. NO PUNCHLINES.

Are you guys the same people? Both names begin with "Blu," both joined in June 2013, like me...hmmm

Bring in Jimmy Olsen and that should be enough.

Honestly, I call BS on MOS not having humor. It did have humor; just not the amount of humor critics want. Critics were expecting the same cheesy humor from previous film incarnations. It seems to me as if a lot of them are under the impression that you cannot tell a mature and serious story with Superman and that Superman should be stuck in the Silver Age forever.

man-of-steel-pic.jpg

This movie really lacked humor. Though, I will say that at least it wasn't full of jokes that fell flat. It just barely had any jokes at all.

Yep :woot: The worst thing Goyer and Snyder could do is try to force in humor in response to some critics. In fact some of the worst dialogue in the film were the ones that were clearly trying to get a laugh ("I think he's kinda hot," "stop measuring *****" etc...). Those were groan-worthy lines because they were so forced/unnatural.

Yes those lines made me cringe. I hope they don't respond to the critics and make it a laugh fest, but add a little more dry humor and tongue in cheek humor to make a more enjoyable film. The serious moments will come across better and more meaningful.

having clark kent allows for humor, if they want it.

Yes those lines made me cringe. I hope they don't respond to the critics and make it a laugh fest, but add a little more dry humor and tongue in cheek humor to make a more enjoyable film. The serious moments will come across better and more meaningful.

I think about 7 "gags" feels appropriate to the movie. More and it might change the tone, less and it might bring about the same accusations.

I think the DP is the best place for humor, but I don't necessarily want to see the bumbling buffoon Reeve Clark. I loved him for the context of his film, but it might feel out of place here. Show me Clark struggling with an alter ego in a lighthearted way that doesn't disrupt the overall tone introduced in MOS. Give us some levity, but I don't need to many laugh out loud moments. Chuckles are good.

^ Yeah. The humor should come from how people react to each other. IE. "normal" character interactions ;)

Yes Jango I quite agree.

No Ms. Teschmachers please and whoever it was Parker Posey played.

No stooges and idiots. I actually prefer Lex to work alone for the most part. But I do think the villain needs to bring some comedy to the proceedings. Zod was just so serious and evil and harsh. Need some balance to the villain next go round.

Yes Jango I quite agree.

No Ms. Teschmachers please and whoever it was Parker Posey played.

No stooges and idiots. I actually prefer Lex to work alone for the most part. But I do think the villain needs to bring some comedy to the proceedings. Zod was just so serious and evil and harsh. Need some balance to the villain next go round.

It would be great to see them replaced with a Mercy Graves character.

having clark kent allows for humor, if they want it.

But do you want the bumbling, nerdy "Awww shucks....Hey that's swell..." Clark Kent? If you are getting humor, how does Clark bring it? What's his characteristics? That's what we never really got to see in MOS. What will Clark be like at DP, with Lois, with Jimmy? Funny doesn't seem to work for this character, at least not as far as I can see.

I really don't want a comic relief character.....

It would be great to see them replaced with a Mercy Graves character.

YES! That would be awesome! And she can have some cool, smart, sniping back and forths with Lex. That would make for some good humor and excellent character development for both Lex and Mercy. I'd love to see that.

YES! That would be awesome! And she can have some cool, smart, sniping back and forths with Lex. That would make for some good humor and excellent character development for both Lex and Mercy. I'd love to see that.

Lex: What is it Miss Graves?
Mercy: I don't know...I just think he's kind of hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"