Transformers Who's the best Megatron?

I agree alot. The video game really lets you listen as to how Welker's voice has aged.

I voted for Frank Welker. Despite Beast Wars being my introduction to Transformers, David Kaye's voice has never appealed to me. I think Hugo Weaving did a good job in the movie.

Even though I thought Weaving did a fine job, and fueled by the fact that Peter Cullen came back, part of me wishes that Welker had been brought back to voice Megatron in the film. I've always thought that they had a great dynamic. Keep in mind that his voice went through a lot of vocal processing the get the final result. And I imagine that had he came back, his voice would have undergone just as much processing, if not more.

I grew up with Kaye as Megatron in Beast Wars so i got to go with him. But I would have to say Welker second and Weaving last. I would have prefered Welker as the voice in the movie more IMO.

So are all the other Transformers. Do they all sound like old geezers?

welker at his prime, not now though...

saying this, anyone could really do a good megatron with the sound mixes they do nowadays so this convo is somewhat a lil mute.

While Weaving was very good and menacing...Welker will always be Megatron to me.

Frank Welker, definitely. Hugo Weaving's Megatron sounded like the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.

Geez, can we seriously just pick one without dissing the other to justify your choice? :rolleyes:

Its called opinions and I see no problem voicing it. Welker sounded fine to me in the clip I saw where he was interviewed with Cullen. His "Die Autobot!" at the end was perfect. This movie (which I loved) was heavily tilted towards Autobots fans though anyway. The Decepticons were given the short end of the stick, Megatron only in the last 20 minutes? Starscream given two lines? The Autobots got Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet and Jazz bots we all know and who are popular. The Decepticons got Megs and Screamer (with VERY blink and you missed them roles) and a bunch of cons no one ever heard of. Michael Bay didn't even want Peter Cullen as Prime and even though he now admits he was wrong he was wrong about Megatron as well.

I think all three were excellent in their times as Megatron, but I gotta give the nod to David Kaye. I grew up with him, and there is something about him that I just love. Don't get me wrong, Welker was a damn fine Megatron, and Weaving did a great job (in the few lines he actually got) in the movie, but I just prefer David Kaye.

Like someone else also made reference too, this quote from Beast Wars was just great:
"Say goodbye to the universe, Maximals. The future has changed, yesss. The Autobots lose. Evil triumphs. And you, you NO LONGER EXIST!"

I thought Hugo was awesome as the voice of Megatron, he added real menace and threat to the voice IMO.

I think Frank Welker could still pull off Megatron's voice under the right director. My reasoning is that I don't think you can look at an actor's performance in a video game and neccessarily see it as the actor cannot pull of the role because it was a video game where voice acting is never really that great most of the time.

So you're basically saying that Frank Welker didn't try to give his best because he was working on a Video game.

I attribute it more to the voice director. If the director isn't providing direction then the performance of the actors will suffer.

Another point I want to make is that even in the original cartoon, Welker's Megatron voice went through a lot of processing. I know that they lowered the pitch of his voice. I believe without the lowered pitching, he sounded more or less like his Galvatron. So I could see why he would sound like an old man to alot of people. So I think the proper effects not being used was another reason for his performance in the game.

I think Frank Welker could still pull off Megatron's voice under the right director. My reasoning is that I don't think you can look at an actor's performance in a video game and neccessarily see it as the actor cannot pull of the role because it was a video game where voice acting is never really that great most of the time.

I agree with you. To me, Welker will always be the best. :up:

I agree with you. To me, Welker will always be the best. :up:

What really convinced me was listening to the alternate Decepticon ending in the game where he sounded perfect, IMO.

I think Michael Bay simply prefered Weaving over Welker. I'm not bashing the guy. I just think that is what it came down to.

I would have to go with Kaye right now. Sometimes I felt as if most of the insanity and characterization of the Beast Wars Megatron was never even in the scripts for any particular episode. Alot of his humor was very improvisational and thus I felt like Kaye did a overall better job of coming off as a completely insane, hilarious, and flat out evil Megatron. Welker is awesome as well. I wish we could have heard more of Weaving as Megs. That being said, I understand why they altered his voice to sound more menacing and mechanical, yet at times I couldnt even tell it was Weaving, which was a disappointment since he has such an incredible voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"