Who's your daddy?

Sundancer

Cynicist
Reaction score
My dad passed away a year ago. His name was Bill. Six foot seven. Blue collar worker. Had lots of anger issues, so he never stayed to long at one job. Also a firefighter and proud of his Polish heritage (though he was half-irish).

Who's your daddy?

My dad was never in my life for any length of time. He was married to my mom for over 20 years. I have 3 sibblings but he has 10 kids. I know about as much about my father as I would know about a coworker. But that made me the man I am today.

Thanks Dad, for making me be NOTHING like you!!

My dad's name is Gary. He was born in West Virginia and moved to Ohio when he was around 20. He worked at Stambaugh's for a long time until it closed, then he worked at the local K-Mart distribution center for a long time before getting laid off. After job hunting for two years, he recently got a job unloading trucks for Dillard's. It's the kind of job he's always done (he never went to college), so he doesn't mind it.

His dad died young from working in coal mines in West Virginia. His mom died of cancer in 1996. He also had a brother and a sister who both died of cancer, and he has one surviving brother and several surviving sisters.

My dad was Mike. He died when I was 1. I never knew him.

My dad's name is Daniel, aged 69. Born in Wisconsin in 1941 to a farm family. He wasnt the "school type" and was sent to the army by my grandmother to learn discipline. He started working as a mechanic at O'Hare airport in 1968 and married my mother in 1977. He retired in 2006, 4 months after Mom died. He's a surly old man that hangs on to money as if it were the air he breathes and is proud of his German heritage, even though he is half Irish.

Sorry can I just bend the topic slightly and ask, how is it that it seems as though everyone comes from some sort of Irish backround or is part Irish?

I'm not really asking anyone in particular or doubting what any of yous have said by any means. It just seems as though when I'm read books, magazines or watch TV, people from particularly America always say they are half/part Irish & I'd essentially like to know how a place like Ireland could have populated half the planet it seems.. :D

I have Irish blood in me also.

because saying you're part Irish is the cool thing to do.

I'm part Cherokee and part Irish.

:awesome:

Hows that? Do you get lots of transfusions?

Joking :p :D

I have Irish, German, Indian, and probably other crap in my ancestry that I don't know about.

I have Irish, German, Indian, and probably other crap in my ancestry that I don't know about.

That's cool, I've never really found out much about my family roots or history beyond my immediate family.

That's cool, I've never really found out much about my family roots or history beyond my immediate family.

I have german aspects to me with dirty blonde hair, green eyes, etc. but my 1st cousin looks like a full on Irish guy with auburn hair, brown eyes, and a full on Irish beard that can be grown in three days.

My dad was David.

Half English, half Scottish. All man. He was a big guy--full of love and jokes. Worked his arse off all his life and did good by me and my mother.

He died eight years ago from a massive heart attack that was more like an earthquake. It was quick at the time but now I'm thankful for how he went. He never suffered and lived fully right till the end. All the family was there having Sunday dinner and he was watching his favourite team play football (soccer, yanks). We all took it in turns trying to bring him back but he was well gone.

His last words, 'Tenth of f***ing November and the bastard fireworks are still going off.'

Classic.

His anniversary's coming and it's always a sad day. You never get over it. You just get used to it.

Sorry can I just bend the topic slightly and ask, how is it that it seems as though everyone comes from some sort of Irish backround or is part Irish?

I'm not really asking anyone in particular or doubting what any of yous have said by any means. It just seems as though when I'm read books, magazines or watch TV, people from particularly America always say they are half/part Irish & I'd essentially like to know how a place like Ireland could have populated half the planet it seems.. :D

The was a huge mass exodus of Irish in the early part of the 19th century. Over 800,000 Irish came to America alone in the early 1800's. Then they had huge freakin families. I know this because I did a family tree and learned a lot of Irish-American history. My ancestor was one of the 800,000 and then he had 12 kids, so you can see how there are so many of us with Irish background.

My dad never worked a day in his life. He had three outside children and another wife. He did some store front preaching. Talked about saving souls and all the time leeching. Dealing in debt and stealing in the name of the Lord. That ain't right.

My dad is a former Blues musician. He stopped playing only a few years ago because balancing a 9-to-5, music gigs, and fatherhood his whole adult life was running him ragged. My parents divorced when I was 2 years old, but he didn't move far away and I spent most of my weekends and summers with him.

The was a huge mass exodus of Irish in the early part of the 19th century. Over 800,000 Irish came to America alone in the early 1800's. Then they had huge freakin families. I know this because I did a family tree and learned a lot of Irish-American history. My ancestor was one of the 800,000 and then he had 12 kids, so you can see how there are so many of us with Irish background.

I know all about it, throughout the 19th century there was alot of immigration from Ireland to America (& other countries to be fair) becoming it's worst during the potato famine in mid-19th century.

I suppose my question was more a quibble with the term 'half Irish', to me you aren't half anything unless your a direct offspring from an Irish parent.

My dad was around but not as much because he had three other kids from another women before he met my mother; my mother and father were never married.

There were times when he was cool but the other times he'd be verbally abusive to my mother and but the time I turned 10 he was completely out of my life.

My mom said that she ran into him and give me his number but I declined.

My grandmother was a McCourt who married a Reynolds...that's where I get most of my Irish/English blood.

As for my daddy....he was a farmboy who went into the Air Force right out of high school....after around 12 years in the service (as military police) he left that and became a cop...he left that after around 10 years and got into carpet laying (says he really got tired of putting up with drunks and other people who were just begging to get shot). The carpet laying not only paid a heck of a lot more...but we got a bunch of free passes to Disneyworld because the company he worked for regularily redid the carpets at the hotels there.

My wife's dad was a farmer who went into the Army during WWII. After he got out, he farmed some more and worked at a dystillery for a long time. He died about 20 years ago (before I ever had a chance to meet him)...and about 10 years ago when my wife's mother let her go through some of his old papers, she found out he had been a medic and was in the D-Day invasion as well as the Battle of the Bulge and a couple of other big battles. He had never talked about the war at all to her or her brothers.

I'm part Irish!

Okay, I'm not. But I am part Creole.

My Dad was in the army for 20 years, so he wasn't in my life that much growing up. The he retired in 1997 and was home for good, it was kinda hard adjusting to him being around and we use to always bump heads about stuff, alot of it was just me being stubborn and not wanting to listen. There were a few times where we had choice words with each other, and i remember telling him that I disliked him. Makes me sad now to know that I said something like that now because me and my dad are like the best of friends, anytime I go back to the United States, I hang out with him more than I hang out with my friends.

My dad was a West Virginia boy who joined the Air Force after college and spent the next 40 years in the military and then gov't serving others (his country and his family). He retired in 92', was diagnosed with Cancer in 94' and died 3 months later. He was and continues to be the best man I've ever known and I strive to be the same type of father to my girls as he was to his kids.

My wife's dad is (was) a Missouri farmer (cattle, corn and beans) who just retired from the family business last year. He celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary two weeks ago and has 5 wonderful kids...one of whom was lucky enough to marry me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"