Daredevil Why a TV series for Daredevil?

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
To me he is the best Marvel character. A TV series is for b-string characters, not a pivotal one like Daredevil. He deserves a second chance after that terrible turd they did in 2003. :BA

Oh, let me count the ways:

1) Because TV series isn't for B-string characters.

Gregory House. Rick Grimes. Walter White. Tony Soprano. Daenerys Targaryen. M'fing Jack Bauer. I could go on, but I think you'll find that some of the best fictional characters ever make their home on TV.

2) TV is better for comic book storytelling

While there's a lot to be said for movie spectacle, a typical comic book story arc can't be told in 2 and a half hours, and over the course of a trilogy, you only get to tell three stories, only the character's most classic beloved ones. But what if a character has 10 reat stories, like Daredevil does? Oh well, tough cookies, these are the movies. A TV show can tell all the Daredevil stories. You will get at least 13 hours of Daredevil in one year and not, y'know 6 at best over 20 years.

3) Daredevil doesn't need a movie budget

Matt Murdock doesn't have a big suit of armor with missiles. He doesn't fly. He doesn't summon lightning and travel through dimensions. He doesn't fight super Nazis, he doesn't turn into a huge green monster, or travel through space with an alien raccoon. He fights criminals. With guns. And sometimes with low-level powers light super strength. That simply doesn't cost 150M dollars to film, as every action TV show ever will attest to.

4-6) Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are no different.

They are also someone's favorite character, and Jessica Jones is just as award winning, iirc. They also can be done awesomely on a TV budget.

7) Daredevil isn't actually that special.

Daredevil is one of about 20 incredible pivotal characters that Marvel has. If they try to do all of them as movies, then we might get a Daredevil movie in 2022. Maybe. And we may never get some of Marvel's other awesome characters who can never be done justice on TV.

This is the right movie, and DD will be better for it.

Last edited:
You're lucky. My favorite character is Spider-Man and instead of getting an hour of playtime once a week I only get 2 hours once every 2 years.

And those two hours of playtime suck. :o

Oh, let me count the ways:

1) Because TV series isn't for B-string characters.

Gregory House. Rick Grimes. Walter White. Tony Soprano. Daenerys Targaryen. M'fing Jack Bauer. I could go on, but I think you'll find that some of the best fictional characters ever make their home on TV.

2) TV is better for comic book storytelling

While there's a lot to be said for movie spectacle, a typical comic book story arc can't be told in 2 and a half hours, and over the course of a trilogy, you only get to tell three stories, only the character's most classic beloved ones. But what if a character has 10 reat stories, like Daredevil does? Oh well, tough cookies, these are the movies. A TV show can tell all the Daredevil stories. You will get at least 13 hours of Daredevil in one year and not, y'know 6 at best over 20 years.

Matt Murdock doesn't have a big suit of armor with missiles. He doesn't fly. He doesn't summon lightning and travel through dimensions. He doesn't fight super Nazis, he doesn't turn into a huge green monster, or travel through space with an alien raccoon. He fights criminals. With guns. And sometimes with low-level powers light super strength. That simply doesn't cost 150M dollars to film, as every action TV show ever will attest to.

4-6) Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are no different.

They are also someone's favorite character, and Jessica Jones is just as award winning, iirc. They also can be done awesomely on a TV budget.

7) Daredevil isn't actually that special.

Daredevil is one of about 20 incredible pivotal characters that Marvel has. If they try to do all of them as movies, then we might get a Daredevil movie in 2022. Maybe. And we may never get some of Marvel's other awesome characters who can never be done justice on TV.

This is the right movie, and DD will be better for it.

I agree with everything except 7. DD is a very special character and one of the few to maintain his own comic for almost 50 years. Of course being special to the reader is subjective.

I think this show has great potential. Let's hope they deliver.

No offence, but couldn't almost the same be said about Batman too?

I don't really see why not. That isn't a counterargument, though, it just means WB is weird for not doing a Batman TV show.

I absolutely adore Daredevil as a character, which is, to be honest, why I'm glad he's getting a TV series and not a film. It doesn't rule him out from ever appearing in The Avengers or The Defenders, but it does mean that he'll get a lot more hours of screentime and story per year, which means more Daredevil for all of us.

But I think an above poster kind of hit the nail on the head when they pointed out that Daredevil can be done with a low budget, and that he isn't really a big-name superhero. I mean, I think he's great, and he's definitely a Marvel staple, but if you asked most people to tell you about Daredevil, I think they'd go 'Er, who?'

Marvel Studios is reportedly looking at the Daredevil Netflix series as a 13 hour film. In other words, you're lucky. Daredevil's getting a longer movie than the Avengers.

I don't really see why not. That isn't a counterargument, though, it just means WB is weird for not doing a Batman TV show.
Yeah seriously. Would love to see a Batman series on HBO...
Netflix shows are typically close to movie quality, i don't think this show will be an exception.

It's obviously going to be a huge step up from AOS...

DD just works better as a TV show (even Mark Waid thinks so). As others have already said, there is much more time to develop stories/world build in a season of TV then there is in one 2-2 1/2 hour movie. DD is one of the few characters where his civilian persona is nearly as interesting as his costumed one. I could watch a legal thriller starring Matt Murdock where DD doesn't appear at all, or only in limited amounts. A TV show gives you more time to explore BOTH aspects of his character than a movie does. Plus, it gives you more time to develop the supporting cast/villains than a movie does.

Maybe, but DD is even more street-level than Batman is. Batman has villains like Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc that'd be very hard to do on a TV show budget and he deals with more weird stuff more regularly than DD does.

Netflix is the closest thing to a Cinemax, Showtime or HBO type TV deal for Marvel. My guess is that they won't be R rated, since inevitably kids will be interested, but they will probably be PG-13 and possibly have some edgier content compared to a regular network TV show.

Once Marvel got DD back, it was probably for the best that he was pushed into TV, at least initially-

you can get more hours worth of content out of him compared to a 90-minute (or 2 hour) film at a time.

depending on how long the series lasts, you can introduce more characters. There's more character development that (potentially) can happen, with the right writers- it's not always about having a string of action sequences together for "maximum" first-week box-office sales.

With a film, there would be the hyper-impetus with some fans to shoehorn every Frank Miller-sensibility possible with the movie.. I think that a TV show should not be ultra-hung up on Miller's work, as important as it was. There are other eras- Stan Lee, Bendis, Nocenti, Mack, Mark Waid, etc., that can mined for story ideas.

Last edited:
Huge DD fan and glad we're getting a show for reasons stated in this thread.

To me he is the best Marvel character. A TV series is for b-string characters, not a pivotal one like Daredevil. He deserves a second chance after that terrible turd they did in 2003. :BA

If he's your favorite character then you should be happy he will get more development then a majority of Superheros out there. It's pretty awesome he's getting his own series.

I think Daredevil is a character that would actually benefit more from a TV series rather than a movie, same with The Punisher. You will get way more storylines out of it and character development. Daredevil/Punisher-esque characters really don't require a big budget. Their "powers" don't really require crazy special effects. Plus, TV-effects are getting pretty decent for super-hero shows (example: The Flash.)

I can't wait for it. I may have to just get Netflix when they start this. Don't know if I'll be able to wait for a DVD release.

You're lucky. My favorite character is Spider-Man and instead of getting an hour of playtime once a week I only get 2 hours once every 2 years.

There's been like... 10 spider-man TV shows...?

If he's your favorite character then you should be happy he will get more development then a majority of Superheros out there. It's pretty awesome he's getting his own series.

I know where you're coming from. Anyway, millions of people watch movies, and Daredevil needs to be "rediscovered" by casual viewers via a feature film.
It happened to Iron Man.
It can happen to Matt too.

^That's so interesting. First, does that mean you're more interested in other people enjoying DD than enjoying him yourself? Second, will every character become as popular as Iron Man if they get a film, because that hasn't quite worked for any of the other Avengers.

It absolutely could.

I agree with everything except 7. DD is a very special character and one of the few to maintain his own comic for almost 50 years. Of course being special to the reader is subjective.

I think this show has great potential. Let's hope they deliver.

It has tons of potential, and while being special is subjective, Marvel has about 20 characters that are very special to significant groups of people, and for good reason, because they're entertaining characters that are important to the Marvel universe.

Maybe, but DD is even more street-level than Batman is. Batman has villains like Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc that'd be very hard to do on a TV show budget and he deals with more weird stuff more regularly than DD does.

He's also a JLAer, whereas outside of bad Bendis ideas, Daredevil really does stick to the streets.

I forgot about gadgets and Mr. Freeze and Clayface and stuff.

Batman, while he *can* be done well on a TV budget, and I would *love* to see it is not one of 20 special characters WB has to offer... he's THE superhero for them, and so even if he didn't cost any money at all to film, they'd be best off giving him a higher spectacle budget and putting him on the big screen because he's their most significant.

Also... I suspect if Gotham runs for too long it could quite possibly BECOME a Batman show.

^That's so interesting. First, does that mean you're more interested in other people enjoying DD than enjoying him yourself? Second, will every character become as popular as Iron Man if they get a film, because that hasn't quite worked for any of the other Avengers.

This is a great point when folks bring up tv shows vs big screen NON ANIMATED movies.

I THOUGHT ABOUT THIS OVERTIME.
I AM YOU GLAD YOU MENTION IT.
It needs be mention more often.

FOLKS NEED TO REMEMBER THAT COMICBOOK MOVIES ON AVERAGE ARE NOT REALLY FOR THE COMIC READERS OR HARDCORE FANS.

IT IS MOSTLY FOR THE CAUSAL GOING MOVIE FOLKS.

I WILL SEND SOMETHING TO YOU ABOUT THIS AND TO SUPPERHERO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"