Why does Hush get no love?

the last son

Superhero
Reaction score
I ask this because Hush is in my top 5 favorite Batman villians. I'm fairly new to him as a character and was introduced to him in Arkham city. I was immediately taken to him as a villian. I then read Hush vol 1 and 2. Now while the story was not the best I've read I still found him to be very very interesting. I think if the right writer came along you can tell an epic tale with him.

I guess others don't find him nearly as cool as I do and that's fine. I just wanted to know everyones thought son him and if you all agree that with the right writer a great and brilliant story can be told. I do.

Im in the same boat man. Hush hasnt had that great of a go since his intro. Im glad he was put in Arkham City but i wish it was more of a story. He was also supposed to be in the show The Batman but plans changed. Hoping he gets more love soon.

Heart of Hush was fantastic and I too feel he has been under-utilized. I hope they introduce him to the New-52 soon.

I think the first Hush storyline is a very generic popcorn story with excellent art. And too much fanservice. I still enjoy it for Jim Lee's work, but it was a poor excuse to get every villain involved.

Dini did a much better job of giving Hush some purpose - Heart of Hush is pretty much the only great Hush story for me. His follow up is decent but not fantastic.

The problem was that DC just really didn't know what to do with him after all that hype selling him as Batman's 'true nemesis'.

Like any character, they can be great if written well. I think there is the possibility for an excellent Hush story. Hopefully Snyder can revive the character and use him in an inventive way.

I found the idea of him assuming Bruce's identity great at first, but it got tedious very very quickly.

Loeb's Hush was generic, and boring. Then Aj Lieberman took the character and made.... not a lot more. Then, Dini did the best he could. Let's hope he will write him again.

I do think his side quest in Arkham City was great. the last cutscene is so creepy. But his story doesn't make sense. How can he be a legit treat to Batman, when Batman knows everything about him and his plan, and Hush doesn't even know Bruce is Batman?

Loeb's Hush is the same Hush Dini wrote, hates his father, hates Bruce, wants cash
The story is confusing chaos

Because Hush is lame and his reason to want Bruce dead is so dumb.

Hush is rather generic. He just doesn't have a persona or a backstory that makes him iconic in any special way. Not saying he doesn't have some potential perhaps, but overall he's a rather underwhelming villain.

I've always hated when the try to make a villain important with cheap tricks. Simple things by making a villain bigger, smarter, or more brutal have simply been done to death. The Joker was really none of these things but had a lot of style and a rich history that makes him cool. Other tricks by saying a villain is important by stating he was part of some sort of a forgotten past is another way to try to 'fast-track" a character that lacks any real history. I actually thought Loeb's suggestion that Hush could have been Jason Todd would have been perfect as Todd actually was part of the Batman history. It could have been the "winter solider' story way before the winter solider was done. Turning Hush (who I do think could be a cool character) into some forgotten childhood friend of Bruce was a pretty lame done to death idea. Hopefully someone can give this character some type of depth as I do think he deserves it.

Dini tried to make Hush cool but he didn't come up anything substantial.

Agreed, but at least his stories weren't as convoluted as Loeb's.

Dini tried to make Hush cool but he didn't come up anything substantial.

Pretty much. I liked the focus on his surgical angle, but his abusive parent background was ripped off from Black Mask, and the addition of Peyton Riley and Jonathan Crane to his backstory felt contrived.

I loved the initial story arc; it fell apart at the end though. Hush's origin felt shoe-horned. Heart of Hush focused less on Bruce/Tommy being childhood friends and more on Tommy's demons. Take out the stuff about Bruce/Tommy's childhood, then splice the inner demons into the initial story arc and you've got something on par with The Long Halloween.

Edit: In retrospect, the stuff Hush orchestrated with the rogues gallery felt like a refined version of Bane running Batman through the gauntlet. It just lacked a character like Bane. His personal hatred of Batman--based on a dream--was terrible, but him taking control of the Pena Dura was awesome.

Pretty much. I liked the focus on his surgical angle, but his abusive parent background was ripped off from Black Mask, and the addition of Peyton Riley and Jonathan Crane to his backstory felt contrived.

Truth.

I think they messed Hush by reveaing him as Tommy Elliot and not Jason Todd. Todd being resurrected by Ra's and having to defeat Batman to earn the right to lead the League of Shadows would have been a far more compelling story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"