Why I hate "The Batman" (new animated series)

ianskyvox

Pop-pop gets a treat?
Reaction score
This has probably been mentioned before, and perhaps even borders on "troll-dom." But recently tried giving "The Batman" another shot and watched a few episodes. Guess what... still hated it. Here's why:

1) The Music. Yes, the music is the #1 reason I can't stand the damn show. Dissonant, unintelligible, unmemorable slop. Mostly consisting of overly reverbed 80's metal guitar tones. Where TAS score created tension and a sense of character, TB score creates a sense of boredom.

2) Unneeded repetitive use of "THE Batman." You can tell it was decided in a preproduction meeting that "every time a character would normally say 'Batman' we are going to put 'the' in front of it... everytime and with strict exception." Sounds unbelievably forced.

3) Adam West as Commissioner Gordon. A cute casting idea, we get it. But let's be honest... Mr. West's acting is laughable and detracts from the overall tone of the series.

4) Joker character design. It's always good to put a new twist on an old character... but please don't completely rape the source material.

5) The Arbiter = The Joker. *see above* Although I do agree the bar was set impossibly high by Mark Hamil... it just don't work to hear the voice of Master Chief's adversary/compadre as the Clown Prince.

6) Lack of artistic definition/depth in The Batman charater. Do gotta give credit to the artistic/visual style and vision of the show. Although, it just seems they left Batman's appearance too undefined and ambiguous. It appears that they tried to make him look stoic and able to blend into the shadows, but sacrificed too much definition.

7) That unexplainable 6th sense that there's something missing. Yes, this is a cop-out reason and has no factual/rational basis. However, you ever see a movie/show that for all intensive purposes SHOULD be good... but just feels empty (i.e. The Corpse Bride, AVP/R)? Anyone else get that when they watch this show? ...anybody? No?

Adam West isnt commissioner Gordon, he was the Mayor, and only appeared in like, 3 episodes...Gordon is actually pretty damn good in the show...listen, I hate The Batman as much as the next guy, especially on the Joker (he's a rastafarian with no shoes for gods sake, what the crap is that?), but at least get your facts straight.

waaaa waaaaa wwaaaaa....

welcome to about 3 years ago....

waaaa waaaaa wwaaaaa....

welcome to about 3 years ago....

At this point, I really have to agree here...especially with The Batman being as good as cancled after this season, from what I've been hearing.

who makes their first thread about bashing the batman after all this time, especially when it has its own board with countless other threads still doing the same thing.

If you don't like it, change.the.channel.

I will however say, just watch season 2,batman vs dracula, season 3 opening 2 parter, season three finale and season four.

there are quite a lot of decent eps in that crowd, the rest you can miss.

oh and watch the laughing bat twice.And stop moaning...

i really dig the show. i put off watching it forever because i thought it was "x-men evolution" but with batman, and didn't want to see batman and joker going to high school together and whatnot. but it turned out pretty good. i love the art style of the show. joker would be better without the crazy hair, give him a bit more classiness of a look. and don't even get me started on the riddler, what an awful awful look. everyone else i think looks great, the plots keep me interested. the music, yeah, don't care for, the theme song alone sometimes keeps me from popping in the DVDs.

over all though, i think the show is pretty awesome.

Gotta co-sign November Rain on this. It was made strictly for the Saturday Morning kids crowd. The Timm/Dini show was something unique and groundbreaking. This however is for a different audience and even in spite of that they still made comprimises and stepped the show up a little last season and this season from what I saw.

Its just a cartoon....not the movie.

This has probably been mentioned before, and perhaps even borders on "troll-dom." But recently tried giving "The Batman" another shot and watched a few episodes. Guess what... still hated it. Here's why:

1) The Music. Yes, the music is the #1 reason I can't stand the damn show. Dissonant, unintelligible, unmemorable slop. Mostly consisting of overly reverbed 80's metal guitar tones. Where TAS score created tension and a sense of character, TB score creates a sense of boredom.

2) Unneeded repetitive use of "THE Batman." You can tell it was decided in a preproduction meeting that "every time a character would normally say 'Batman' we are going to put 'the' in front of it... everytime and with strict exception." Sounds unbelievably forced.

3) Adam West as Commissioner Gordon. A cute casting idea, we get it. But let's be honest... Mr. West's acting is laughable and detracts from the overall tone of the series.

4) Joker character design. It's always good to put a new twist on an old character... but please don't completely rape the source material.

5) The Arbiter = The Joker. *see above* Although I do agree the bar was set impossibly high by Mark Hamil... it just don't work to hear the voice of Master Chief's adversary/compadre as the Clown Prince.

6) Lack of artistic definition/depth in The Batman charater. Do gotta give credit to the artistic/visual style and vision of the show. Although, it just seems they left Batman's appearance too undefined and ambiguous. It appears that they tried to make him look stoic and able to blend into the shadows, but sacrificed too much definition.

7) That unexplainable 6th sense that there's something missing. Yes, this is a cop-out reason and has no factual/rational basis. However, you ever see a movie/show that for all intensive purposes SHOULD be good... but just feels empty (i.e. The Corpse Bride, AVP/R)? Anyone else get that when they watch this show? ...anybody? No?
I don't like the new Batman Animated show eather.
But i do like the old ones.

SMH@ a bunch of grown ass dudes angry at a kids' show. They must creep there kids out on weekends sitting there watching it with them and complaining. If they ever mated of course and had kids to begin. Otherwise, sitting there disenfranchised with a cartoon on your own= Major L's all around.

Yeah its been that kinda morning at work lol

The thing is, there's been lots of cartoons/shows for kids that have been cool and/or good. It's not like its lame only because it's made for 8 year olds and I'm 24 lol. Just a bummer that this is the Batman my kids will grow up with on Saturday mornings, ya know?

Yeah... guess I went off on the whole thing when I was a bit cranky. Looked up a few episodes online at like 2am and had one of those late night "this sucks... can't keep it bottled up inside" moments lol.

and I was wrong about West/Gordon. My bad, wasn't paying enough attention. Just thought his style was distracting.

Out of all the things to be bummed out involving your kids this is one of them? I men Health, School, Money, the general goings on the world....yeah. Batman? He saves kids! Besides its a nice light way for them to be introduced to Batman. Cant thrust Dark Knight Returns on them at 4.

Out of all the things to be bummed out involving your kids this is one of them? I men Health, School, Money, the general goings on the world....yeah. Batman? He saves kids! Besides its a nice light way for them to be introduced to Batman. Cant thrust Dark Knight Returns on them at 4.
Well, I'm not losin' sleep over it... but yeah, I worry! lol. You know its that stupid thing where you want what was important to you as a little brat to be important to your kids. My dad had me watching "Wrath of Kahn" by the 2nd damn grade for Jebus' sake.

Let the kids choose there entertainment. They'll probably be into Hannah Montana and Dragonball Z anyways

I dig this show a lot too it's really created a nice rich world for itself during the last 5 years plus I love how it doesn't take itself too seriously in that sense it reminds me of 1970's Batman comics. I also love the gadgets on the show and the way the Justice League was handled was awesome loved that new Batman-esque take on Superman the most. Nothing better on saturday mornings than firing up an L and watching Legion followed by The Batman.

Even though West wasn't the Commish, I totally agree with you. I was watching The Laughing Bat (ugh) and the second I heard Adam West's voice I was like...why?

Joker...PUKE!...Please bring back Hammill!!!

Just look at this:

21.jpg

joker59cl.jpg

No contest...

I honestly didn't even know it was still on. I thought it had been cancelled last year. :confused:

Arbiter isn't Joker, btw. Tartarus is.

Tartarus: Kevin Michael Richardson
Arbiter: Keith David

This doesn't belong here. It belongs in the Nobody Cares Forum, in the Official List of the World's Most Trivial Things Thread.

who makes their first thread about bashing the batman after all this time, especially when it has its own board with countless other threads still doing the same thing.

If you don't like it, change.the.channel.

I will however say, just watch season 2,batman vs dracula, season 3 opening 2 parter, season three finale and season four.

there are quite a lot of decent eps in that crowd, the rest you can miss.

oh and watch the laughing bat twice.And stop moaning...

I thought Season 2 and Batman Vs Dracula were terrible...Season 3 had it's moments though, and 4 was actually decent, especially the Dini episode.

series two had

meltdown
strange minds
night of the grundy
the laughing bat
night of the city
swamped was cute

6/13 are decent so i'll reiterate and say half of season 2.

season 3 had

batgirl begins 1/2
fistful of felt was cute
rpm had lots of potential
brawn had potential but was a big bit letdown
Fleurs du Mal was alright but was another doppelganger ep, (just love the way he punched that lady in the face)
the apprentice was good
gotham's ultimate criminal mastermind was amazing.

so 3 for me was like a bomb that never really went off and was more of a dud. when the end of 2 was the spark and 4 was the relative explosion.

I kinda liked the old theme music by The Edge. Too bad they had changed it.
And that's all...

But I've seen worse shows before this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"