The Avengers Why is it the Avenger Initiative?

ImWithTeamConan

Avenger of Comedy
Reaction score
Greetings everybody.

Question just popped into my head last night when I was trying to fall asleep. Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man tells Stark he's come to talk to him about the "Avenger Initiative".

And I was just thinking about it......why would it be called the "Avenger" initiative?

Can anyone think of a good "in-story" reason that this group of superheroes would call themselves Avengers other than Nick Fury sitting around going "hmm...we need a good team name for this initiative I'm putting together...:wow: I just got it!"

OT: my first SHH thread! Feels......good......

Why are they called that in the first place? Governments come up with names for projects/missions all the time. To me that's like asking Tony Stark why his missile was called the Jericho missile.

I Wouldn't read to much into it. If they come up with something all good, if not...I'm not to bothered.

Why Avengers?
'Justice League' was taken....

To avenge... to take revenge on a perceived wrong. Government can write a new Amendment. Amendment 28: The Avengers Initiative:

Any and all individuals and entities, domestic, international, extra-terrestrial, and heavenly, who oppose or threaten the United States of America and Her interests, shall be met with brute force, pertenaciously and inexorably, until such opposition is completely neutralized. In order to ensure Her safety and security and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, both She and Her allies shall be assisted by an elite team of superheroes, and assemblage of individuals with extrodinary abilities collected from all parts of the globe and the Heavens above. We denominate these individuals as The Avengers, who in circumstances where their services are called upon, will seek vengeance upon thee perpetrators guilty of any agressions against the United States of America. The Avengers will work collaboratively with the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division and its representatives when such criminal acts deem it neccessary. Only through such a coalition operating in complete solidarity with only the interests of the United States of America in mind, can She ensure the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness of Her inhabitants.

Had to work on that a bit....

Last edited:
Because they'd get sued if they called the Justice league initiative. :)

It'll probably have something to do with Cap and Stark/SHIELD's legacy connection to him. IE even if he will be the "last" person to join the team after being revived, he'll have been the "first" avenger in spirit (hence that movie's dumb pretitle)

So my bet is that the name will come from Cap avenging something in his solo flick

I think the revengers sounds pretty bad ass. the evil avengers

Anyone think it's possible that instead of the Invaders, the 1940s team will be called The Avengers, and the modern team will be named in their honor, given that the modern team is about to face a crisis upto par with WW2?

To avenge... to take revenge on a perceived wrong. Government can write a new Amendment. Amendment 28: The Avengers Initiative:

Any and all individuals and entities, domestic, international, extra-terrestrial, and heavenly, who oppose or threaten the United States of America and Her interests, shall be met with brute force, pertenaciously and inexorably, until such opposition is completely neutralized. In order to ensure Her safety and security and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, both She and Her allies shall be assisted by an elite team of superheroes, and assemblage of individuals with extrodinary abilities collected from all parts of the globe and the Heavens above. We denominate these individuals as The Avengers, who in circumstances where their services are called upon, will seek vengeance upon thee perpetrators guilty of any agressions against the United States of America. The Avengers will work collaboratively with the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division and its representatives when such criminal acts deem it neccessary. Only through such a coalition operating in complete solidarity with only the interests of the United States of America in mind, can She ensure the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness of Her inhabitants.

There would be no need for a constitutional amendment. Plus that amendment would violate international law...

I think the government calling it the Avengers initiative is there explaination of why they would call themselves The Avengers. It's there government codename other wise it would be silly if they gave themselves a team name they're not entering the NFL

It actually just made me think of the fact that comicbook movies have alot of trouble with the heroes names. They never name themselves spiderman comes the closest when he says he's the human spider. But JJ comes up with all the vilain names same with FF4 and ironman they get named by the media. Hulk might be the worst those kids on camera is like "man then he turned into this.....HULK!" witch without the reference of the incredible Hulk means what exactly. What is a Hulk? Wolverine makes a point to make fun of the names in X-Men. Actually Batman names himself he's the only one I can think of

Anyone think it's possible that instead of the Invaders, the 1940s team will be called The Avengers, and the modern team will be named in their honor, given that the modern team is about to face a crisis upto par with WW2?

That actually sounds like it could work.

Hulk might be the worst those kids on camera is like "man then he turned into this.....HULK!" witch without the reference of the incredible Hulk means what exactly. What is a Hulk?

Hulk

--noun

a bulky or unwieldy person, object, or mass.

on't forget Iron Monger from Iron Man. He actually never named himself or the machine that name. He said to Tony that they were Iron Mongers. And Venom was never named either. he didn't even call himself "we". Avengers might be the same thing. for all we know Nick might just say it to make the team seem cool.

I hope there is a reason and I hope it has something to do with Cap to make his film's title mean something. Since he would be the first costumed hero it would make sense to name a modern super hero team in honor of him.

Wouldn't mind if they did that.

or maybe the Avenger Initiative was the name of the Super Soldier project. I doubt it but just throwing out an idea.

and if they had used the Ultimates Initaive, the next day we would have been filing missing person forms for Mark Millar, Brian Micheal Bendis, and Jeph Loeb and that's to much work.

becuase "im here to talk to you about the Avengers"
Tony doesnt know what the "Avengers" are
while an "Avengers Initiative" tells tony its something official,
as for in story, its an initiative still working to get underway and get up off the table

In IM2 at the end, the case file has written on the cover "Avengers Initiative".

I also noticed at Wall Mart, where the Iron Man toys are, there's a picture of Iron man and a Shield symbol, with the words "Avengers Assemble" written around it.

I Like that idea :up:

In IM2 at the end, the case file has written on the cover "Avengers Initiative".

I also noticed at Wall Mart, where the Iron Man toys are, there's a picture of Iron man and a Shield symbol, with the words "Avengers Assemble" written around it.

I havea MArvel Studios tshirt with the shield symbol in the sleeve just like that..says avengers assemble

Why are they called that in the first place? Governments come up with names for projects/missions all the time. To me that's like asking Tony Stark why his missile was called the Jericho missile.

I Wouldn't read to much into it. If they come up with something all good, if not...I'm not to bothered.

Now I know that this is an old post, but seriously? You don't know why it's called the "Jericho" missile?

REALLY?

Have you ever heard of the walls of the biblical city of Jericho? You didn't notice the wall of missiles that rained down on to the mountainside OR the wall of dust that resulted from the explosions?

I just hope to all the gods that have ever been worshipped by humanity that you didn't think it was named after the wrestler (whose signature move is the "Walls of Jericho").

:dry:

i figured it was called the jericho cuz you could level a a small city or a twon with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"