Comics Why is Superman called the greatest hero of them all?

LongDong

Sidekick
Reaction score
I mean really, not like much hurts him so he has very little risk involved. Sure he is one of the most powerful but come on!

For some reason I heard that today and I had to ask this question, please enlighten me.

Thank:super:

I don't think he's considered the greatest. Certainly he's the most well known, but not the most popular or greatest.

because he IS the greatest character of them all.

LongDong said:
I mean really, not like much hurts him so he has very little risk involved. Sure he is one of the most powerful but come on!

For some reason I heard that today and I had to ask this question, please enlighten me.

He was the first superhero (I mean, the fact that they're even called SUPERheroes....his name became the job description). All superheroes are, at the end of the day, variations of the Superman character.

probably due to the fact that as an alien, he has more compassion for us humans than we do for ourselves...

it's kinda christ like in some ways and we know that goes down well with the folks at home.

LongDong said:

True...Not much risk at all....it's not like he can be BEATEN TO DEATH or anything...(Death of Superman...early 90's...awesomeness...)

mathhater said:
True...Not much risk at all....it's not like he can be BEATEN TO DEATH or anything...(Death of Superman...early 90's...awesomeness...)

Ummm no risk is a pretty general statement. How often does he actually fight someone capable of doing that (killing him)? Not very

I do think Superman is the greatest hero. Even though I will readily concede to the fact that he is NOT the most popular. I can agree that Spider-Man and Batman have passed him in terms of popularity and general appeal. But I don't think that this popularity is equal to what I would consider greatness.

Spider-Man and Batman are so popular due to their edginess and coolness...factors that Superman really doesn't have. Instead he has a morality and nobleness that these other characters don't have. Case in point, Batman does everything he does out of a quest for vengence, with an obviously darker M.O. Spider-Man does everything he does out of a quest for redemption, after a moment of reckless irresponsibility. But Superman does everything he does because he sees it as the right thing to do. And such noble intentions are apparantly less appealing to a general audience.

Or there's that other argument, that he's too powerful to be interesting. But personally, I like seeing/reading about a guy who can fly, who can walk unflinching into gunfire, who can lift cars, and whatever else. That's the kind of thing that's appealing about comics and superheroes. Why would you not want to see those kind of fatastical elements?

And back to the risk factor, I won't list each example, but over the years, the comics have been able to provide scene after scene where that risk is all too apparant. He's been without powers and he's been weakened, and in each such example he attempts to live up to the standards he set as Superman. Still donning the suit even though he has no powers or means to back it up. He's always been willing to sacrifice himself with or without his power. You can say the same about those other characters, but this element helps solidify the greatness of Superman because even when he's out of his element and out of the norm, he still doesn't give up on his sense of duty.

He embodies all the good and decent qualities of humanity, the ones that people should aspire to have.

This thread has generated some very good responses.

Superman is not called the greatest hero of them all, i don't think anyone has called him that.

A lot of ignorant people try to knock Superman by talking about his invumnerability, which makes them sound like all they think conflict is about fighting, when in reality conflict is emotional, and that's where Superman's dynamic lies; he has all this power, but he can't save everybody.

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:
Superman is not called the greatest hero of them all, i don't think anyone has called him that.

he is all of the time. Even guys like Batman have stated "he is the best of us"

Probably because he is like captain america . In the sense that they both stand up for justice , and to protect the innocent , the ideal american hero. PErsonally i like in the avenger crossover when captain america goes up against superman , not caring that superman would destroy him. They both have amazing valor

The thing I never understood is that how nowadays, compared to other heroes, Superman is so hard for people to relate to. Batman is easy: he fights crime out of revenge, because he doesn't want to see anyone else suffer the tragedy he did. Same with Spider-Man: he understands the obligation to use his powers for good, and he's sparked by a guilty conscience. Captain America fights bad guys in order to protect the country he loves. And so on and so forth.

Somewhere along the way, readers decided that heroes needed a reason to be good, a sort of "what's in it for me?" hook to all the deeds they do. But someone who does good things simply because they're good? Now that's someone who you can't relate with (which is really kind of sad when you think about it)

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:

Stupid noob why dont you get your marvel fan boy ass out of here its obvious why you dont like him.

I have quite a fragmented perspective on the Man of Steel. I grew up reading his comics, watching his shows and seeing his movies. Superman is as much a part of my childhood, as Voltron, GI Joe and Phil Donahue. With that said however, I can honestly say that my respect for the character, is limited. On one hand, I adore his noble quality and awesome power. On the other hand however, I abhor the fact that most of his battles could truly be won by brute force, with absolute ease. Very rare is the circumstance in which the hero has that kind of power. The villain almost always has the fierce power, while the underwhelming power of the super hero, must be put to the test in order to defeat the enemy.

So where does Superman find his appeal? I think it lies in the characters dislikable qualities. It is sort of like when Green Goblin said to Spidey, in the first movie. "What people love more, than to see a hero succeed, is to see them fail...fall." Every time I see Superman take on Darkseid, I get this childish grin on my face, becase I know the battle will be epic and for good reason. When Superman does battle with an enemy, it is almost always a true battle of good versus evil. I'm not downing on some of the more petty rogues of other heroes, but Supes does deal with some truly malicious and malevolant beings like Imperiex and Darkseid. Those are the moments in which you apprecaite Superman's deity like power...and when you can respect him for what he does. At the end of the day, he does have some fun adventures.

LongDong said:

Superman started the so call "superhero genre" he wasn't really the first hero though.
Before him was mandrake, flash Gordon, the phantom etc...But superman was really the first superhero

And therefore he is the template from which all other superheroes was created
Beside the superman concept was brilliant and still is up to these day
People don't notice because there are so many superheros doing the same thing that he does
If its creator has had the sole right over it
you can be sure there wouldn’t be so many superhero flying around without being sued by Jerry or Shooter.

But I think according to some international law you have the right to exploit a character for fifty or about 75 years "methinks” after that it's over
Which means anybody can do superman comics without getting sued for it.

Andy C. said:
The thing I never understood is that how nowadays, compared to other heroes, Superman is so hard for people to relate to.

It’s not about relating but how far are you willing to reach!

I’ve always look for superman and some other powerful superhero to reach my physical potential when I used to lift weight as a kid

It was some king of religion for me!

The fact that superman is unreachable,
its makes me look forward and unending future of training and to know how strong I’ll have to keep training if I have to reach even one percent of his mighty strength .
Batman was too human and too easy to reach for me.

Now as a grown man I look forward much more powerful being such as Galactus.
Little superman amongst other powerful beings is not enough now.

A month ago I hit the gym after an exhausting day of work,
I simply didn't have enough energy,
Then I picture powerful Galactus in my head
And I was suddenly busting with an unexplainable energy through my mind and sinew

I was lifting those heavy weights like they were nothing
I even amaze myself!
It’s as if I conjured up something in me just by thinking of how powerful Galactus is and if I was him.
lol

So you see!
If you want to go over your limits you have to think of something powerful even if it doesn’t exist because the unconscious mind doesn’t make any difference.

personally i think supes could destroy galactus

and the reason superman is the greatest hero is for a couple of reasons

hes arguably the most powerful hero (ask someone on the street whos the most powerful and 99% will say supes)

he is selfless, i think the crash test dummies superman song really put it into perspective with lines such as "superman never made any money saving the world from solomon grundy" and "even though he could smash into any bank in the united states, he had the strength but he would not" stuff like that, he has all this power, but he doesnt relish in it, he uses it for the good of all mankind. he doesnt want pay for it either. very much like Jesus

Venomfan said:
(ask someone on the street whos the most powerful and 99% will say supes)
What does that have to do with Superman actually being the most powerful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"