Endgame Why was War Machine so underutilized in the MCU?

KevTravels

Superhero
Reaction score
Why was War Machine so underutilized in the MCU? Yes he's not an OG Avenger but dude has been in the MC U sincd the beginning but what do we know about him? What are his notable moments?

Okay so he's essentially Iron Man's sidekick in the comics but they didn't have to convey that in the films did they? Heck, Falcon is Cap's sidekick but he comes across as charismatic and badass in several appearances.

You have a guy like Cheadle playing someone who is essentially one-dimensional. Would it have hurt to have a scene or a few lines of dialogue that gave insight into his life beyond the fact he was an Air Force colonel?

I enjoyed him a lot in the Avengers films though why wasn't he in the first film? Not even a cameo. He sure brings more to the table than either BA or Hawkeye. In Age of Ultron, he's in the beginning and then disappears for the whole film and is never explained. Surely, he would have been useful at anypoint prior to Sokovia. In Infinity War he has a small role like so many. In Endgame he has a bunch of screentime and one liners but no action sequences.

Did the writers just feel they needed to downplay him to ensure Iron Man was the Bomb? I wish we got some more dialogue or another scene in Infinity Waementioning his post-recovery injury. Like was he afraid putting on the armor again? Was he worried he was only Avenger left when he lost contact with Tony?

I feel the MCU missed out big time. Upgrading War Machine some wouldn't have meant downplaying other characters. Does War Machine have his fans? What are your thoughts on the character? What is tour favorite scene of his? Do you prefer him in the Iron Man films or in the Avengers?

I wanted to see morr of him kicking ass in Infinity War and also in Endgame especially since he had that new armor. I mean you have a paralyzed military officer using his armor to save the planet. Says a lot to the audience. I just wish we got to focus a bit on that subplot

icon_share_32.png
Share10

What are his notable moments?

icon_share_32.png
Share10

Final of Iron-Man 2, Airport battle in Civil War, Wakanda war in Infinity War

Final battle in Endgame, his fights were off-screen only
Thats the inconvenient in Endgame, Rhody, Proxima, Bucky are not seen fighting

They didn't know what to do with him, maybe? And it's not like he was played by a small time actor, either. Both Howard and Cheadle are well-known stars, so maybe the folks behind the franchise didn't have much for Rhodey to do. Looking back, I think he peaked in Iron Man 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"