Will Sony Pictures Be Around After 2020?

They will be around. The only question is who will buy them.

Nobody will buy them they will sell their properties & Sony Pictures will become a forgotten memory & hopefully Tom Rothman is laughed out of Hollywood

Yeah, there is generally a turn over in the top in such a large buy out.

Three years is awfully quick, but they are certainly headed down the road to bankruptcy. This isn't like Fox or WB which are still highly successful even if they are struggling with certain franchises and have got fans upset for one reason or another. Sony has NOTHING aside from a Spider-Man movie that they had to get Marvel to make for them and they are bleeding money with a studio head (Tom Rothman) that was a disaster in his last job.

Yeah, there is generally a turn over in the top in such a large buy out.

Just like how when AT&T buys the WB Kevin Tsujihara likely does not have a secured (keyword) job there after the merge & transition of power is complete

I doubt Sony will be around within a decade or so. The business they're doing is declining steadily and none of the ideas they keep trying to present are going to set the market on fire.

I imagine Columbia Pictures and its sister companies will still be around but Sony will have either spun it off or sold it to another company.

This is an insanely short sighted thread. All this Spider-Man stuff is just them making noise so Marvel put other characters they have the rights to in their films.

Everyone wanted Fox dead during the Rothman years too, then he got sacked and now they're arguably one of the most film maker friendly studios around.

This is an insanely short sighted thread. All this Spider-Man stuff is just them making noise so Marvel put other characters they have the rights to in their films.

Everyone wanted Fox dead during the Rothman years too, then he got sacked and now they're arguably one of the most film maker friendly studios around.
Sony's financial situation would be the issue here. They also might be losing Bond.

They're more than a movie studio. They'll easily get a hand out from body corporate to keep going. But obviously they gotta sack Tom Rothman if they want to survive.

They're more than a movie studio. They'll easily get a hand out from body corporate to keep going. But obviously they gotta sack Tom Rothman if they want to survive.
The only part of the corporation making money is the video game section. Everything else is bleeding, in a lot of cases badly. That is why they have been not so secretly shopping the film division.

Actually, I've wanted SONY's movie division dead for a long time.

Hey, if they continue to **** up franchises I love, then so be it. Jedi. :o

Sony's financial situation would be the issue here. They also might be losing Bond.

That's a possibility, but honestly, the more desperate Sony is the better it'll be for MGM/Eon to renegotiate their previous agreement. It'll really depend on how much leeway Sony is prepared to give them for any share of the profits, and if they'll have the financial support to be able to pony up 60% of the budget for each film.

This thread wasn't just in response to the Spider-man stuff. Though that was the straw that had me finally asking the question.

They've been loosing market shares, their tent pole films haven't been well received, and they lost a billion dollars last year. Their current slate shows only a Marvel related film as what may make it into the top 10 grossing films this year.

While I agree Sony itself will be around, the question is will they exist or attempt to sell-ff their film division.

The only part of the corporation making money is the video game section. Everything else is bleeding, in a lot of cases badly. That is why they have been not so secretly shopping the film division.

Sony Financial Services - Sony Life, Sony Bank, Sony Assurance - is the main profit generator for the company. Sony's 2016 annual report showed that Financial Services generated 53% of the company's profits for that year.

Devices and mobile communications were the big losers. Sony Pictures generated about 13% of the year's profits, but TV production is outperforming film. It was rumored that CBS's interest in Sony Pictures lay mainly in expanding its TV presence.

Columbia Tristar will be, for sure. Sony Pictures probably will be. There would need to be a major management shakeup and restructuring before going to studio heaven (or hell). Sony's library of licensed IPs is strong, but the ideas of what to do with them have been downright idiotic. I think if they turn over some control to writers and directors, as opposed to having business majors come up with pitches and predestined franchise plans, they'll get back to what made franchises like MiB and Spider-Man both lucrative and quality products.

If Lionsgate are somehow still around, I'm sure SONY is not going anywhere anytime soon. If they are going under, then they better hurry up and give me my 23 Jump street and Sausage party 2.

Some Chinese company.

Many of the trades have talked about various Chinese groups looking to buy one of the big six Hollywood studios. Sony is the most vulnerable and most likely to get brought if they are sold off.
If Lionsgate are somehow still around, I'm sure SONY is not going anywhere anytime soon. If they are going under, then they better hurry up and give me my 23 Jump street and Sausage party 2.

The films that Lionsgate produce themselves are often mid to low budget or co-productions with other studios or production companies so they aren't as at risk of making big losses like the other studios.

Movies like La La Land and John Wick have been pretty lucrative for Lionsgate recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"