The Flash Will the primary villain always be a speedster?

NiallC

Civilian
Reaction score
So obviously season 1 we had Reverse-Flash and season 2 we've had Zoom. It already looks like we have a speedster as the main antagonist each season but do people want that or think it will happen. Despite all of Arrow's criticisms it's villains have at least been made more powerful even if they aren't shown or written well. Season 1 and 2 we had Merlyn and Deathstroke who were relatively normal and then season 3 gave us Ra's who has access to immortality whilst season 4 we have Darhk who is both immortal? and magic. Despite all remaining mostly on financial might and their own skill sets at least it hasn't been the same thing each time. If the Flash keeps using speedsters it'll get old quick especially when he has a large Rogues gallery.

If they do keep on using speedsters I'm wondering how they're going to go about it and who they'll use. Obviously with Trajectory being used as a villain it's clear that we may see other heroes such as Max Mercury and Jesse Quick. There's Flash's well known villains such as Johnny Quick and Rival and also Cobalt Blue who was rumoured to be Eddie. There's also lesser known speedsters such as Savitar, Hot Pursuit and Dervish as well as Inertia. Now some villains I don't see them using. I don't think they'll do Professor Zoom due to the name and the fact Eobard has been used whilst also Cobalt Blue is a no go due to a lack of involvement from Rick Cosnett and due to how much more complicated Barry's back story will become. I also don't see Inertia being used because of the be cussing of Bart who I don't see being introduced till the end whilst I don't think they'll bother with another other Earth villain with Johnny Quick. This leaves the lesser known speedsters but whether they can create a whole season worth of story is another thing. Although I wouldn't mind the Professor Zoom storyline from the New 52 where he gathers all the speed force users from history to help destroy the Flash. But if they can also bring in the lesser known speedsters for this it'd be great as the final season.

So thus gives me hope for other types of villains whether human, metahuman or alien or any other type. Whether they'll make the Rogues the primary villains for a season is hard to be predicted especially with two of the main Rogues over on LoT and I'm guessing Captain Boomerang is off limits due to Suicude Squad. Because we've barely seen them this year I'd love for next year to be the Blacksmith storyline where we see a sort of hierarchy of villains as seen slightly on Earth 2. She could be trying to rebuild her own Righes due to the disappearance of Captain Cold and Heat Wave and the hole left by Zoom going for there to be no other major villain to oppose her. Goldface could be her husband who slowly becomes disenfranchised with his wife and leaves to help the Flash whilst GoldenGlider also returns to stop someone else taking over the Rogues mantle and bringing with her the original Rogues that we've seen and those we haven't yet such as Top and Mirror Master.

What's boring? The topic itself, having a speedster as a villain each season or my suggestion of a new story?

I agree Mirror Master would be a pretty good Season Long villain if done well.

Grodd coming back would also be great, since he can control other people from afar.

Eh, I like the Mirror Master, but I can't see him as a season big bad. Abrakababra, sure, though he trends a little too closely to Reverse Flash, in terms of "big bad science genius from the future".

A full season of the Rogues as the big bad would be awesome.

They've already introduced both Tricksters, Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, Pied Piper, Heat Wave, Golden Glider, and Captain Boomerang. Add Top and Mirror Master and give them a reason to unite against The Flash.

I'd rather Barry get stuck on an other Earth for a season. Can keep the cast, but they'll be playing different versions of themselves keeping things fresh for them and the audience. Barry could lose his powers and the driving force of the season could be getting his powers back and getting back home. Back on Earth-1 Cisco is training his Vibe powers to see if he can locate Barry. In the mean time Barry trains Earth-X Wally who is the Flash on how to be a speedster and hero and ect ect.

Here he can have a relationship with Iris without the guilt of being her foster brother. And Iris back on Earth-1 realizes how much she cares about him now that she may never see him again.

You're welcome Kreisberg, that was on the house.

I'd rather Barry get stuck on an other Earth for a season. Can keep the cast, but they'll be playing different versions of themselves keeping things fresh for them and the audience. Barry could lose his powers and the driving force of the season could be getting his powers back and getting back home. Back on Earth-1 Cisco is training his Vibe powers to see if he can locate Barry. In the mean time Barry trains Earth-X Wally who is the Flash on how to be a speedster and hero and ect ect.

Here he can have a relationship with Iris without the guilt of being her foster brother. And Iris back on Earth-1 realizes how much she cares about him now that she may never see him again.

You're welcome Kreisberg, that was on the house.

Whilst that could definitely create an interesting story and I'd love to see how they do the protagonist without his powers but I think it's too close to what we've seen in the first two seasons where I powerless speedster trains the Flash.

I could definitely see it as a small arc for possibly the first nine episodes, though that would interrupt with the crossover so possibly first five. What I would love to see is in this seasons finale as Barry is about to shut the last gate to Earth-2 he finds Ronnie Raymond who successfully found a suitable partner on Earth-2 in Lorraine Reilly and they become Firehawk. This allows for Ronnie to come back home but Barry is trapped elsewhere. Firehawk works with Vibe to try and locate Barry who he himself is trying to find a way to get his power back so he can return home. After these five episodes we see Barry return home and a partnership between Barry and Ronnie again. Then the crossover episodes could be the LoT returning home to fight a new enemy and we see the interactions of Firehawk and Firestorm. That would make for an interesting development and they could play it where Stein has to choose whether he sticks with Jax or if he suggests that he and Ronnie get back together. This would also be interesting to see how Caitlin reacts as yet again her husband has returned from the dead and that she realises he wasn't dead this time either and she essentially cheated on him with Jay.

Oh and then they could do it that the strong emotional connections between both Firehawk and Firestorm as well as both to Caitlin gives an off shoot of energy that puts her in a coma. It seems harmless at first but Cisco notices how she's getting colder and the room is freezing over. They realise this is her descent into getting Killer Frost's powers. She eventually awakens and doesn't seem evil contrary to Cisco's suspicions and Caitlin then has to learn to control her powers over the course of the second half of the season. But she slowly descends into madness as her new powers mean she can no longer touch anyone meaning she can only kiss Ronnie when he is in Firehawk mode. She also becomes jealous of Lorraine as she has more access to Ronnie than Caitlin ever has or will have. Then the following season could be Killer Frost as the big baddy who is always numerous steps ahead of Team Flash because she knows them so well. But we can also see the Team struggling when choosing how to fight her because she was once their friend.

Yeah, I kind of feel like it makes sense if the Flash's main enemy each season is a speedster, it just has a nice sense of symmetry.

There's plenty to choose from:

Reverse Flash

Zoom

Impulse

Johnny Quick

Savitar......

Hell, they could chuck in an evil version of Barry for good measure.

To be honest, I love that RF, who's the greatest Flash villain manages to keep turning up, because when Cavanagh plays him he's brilliant (Letscher is pretty good too, but TC is just great).

I suppose Grodd could be a primary antagonist, or maybe Mirror Master but I'm quite partial to evil speedsters.

I'd only take an evil version of Barry if it was the New 52 storyline where future Barry comes back in time and is willing to kill to protect people, otherwise it's essentially just this seasons story.

I think shows like Rick and Morty or Dr. Who or even Star Trek proved that a scientist type travelling through time and dimensions is interesting enough even without a cliche superhero type villain. I dunno I am pretty interested in that angle for the show they could be doing some more really cool classic Sci Fi type stuff

Last edited:
I for one would love a full seasonas Gorilla Grodd as a big baddie but keep in mind that would be a very big budget for a TV show. We eventually we need to get introduced to Mirror Master because's he's the only one of the rogue's who just hasn't shown up yet.

I would be disappointed if we kept getting speedster's as the main villain each season. Though I imagine Reverse Flash will at least be back given his timeline is heading in the reverse direction to Barry's, but I still would on want him as the big bad for season 3 at least.

I for one would love a full seasonas Gorilla Grodd as a big baddie but keep in mind that would be a very big budget for a TV show. We eventually we need to get introduced to Mirror Master because's he's the only one of the rogue's who just hasn't shown up yet.

Not true. We haven't seen the Top yet either.

Or Abra Kadabra, but he was only an official member of the Rogues for a short time.

I'd be happy if there was no season-long villain. It worked in season 1, but I think you need a really strong and compelling villain and storyline to sustain a story across so many episodes.

I would prefer it if they used villains over three to four episodes, with shorter, self-contained storylines and with villains who challenge The Flash instead of typically being identified, battled and defeated within a single episode. The season finale could see two or more of those villains return as a team to try to defeat The Flash.

Or we could actually see Team Flash trying to redeem some of the villains in the pipeline so that The Flash would have some assistance in battling a villain team-up in the season finale.

They do have other plot threads which could be picked up and developed. Presumably, at some point, Barry will take a greater interest in STAR labs and actually getting it back up and running since Barry is credited with inventing Gideon in the future. A season long storyline could focus on STAR labs and how Team Flash go about operating in secret if there are other employees at the labs, etc.

The idea about a Sliders-esque season where Barry is stuck hopping from Earth to Earth trying to find his way home while battling alternate versions of past villains (and heroes) would be pretty cool. But, that seems like something they would need to do as a last-ditch effort to revive interest in the series and I don't think it's necessary as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"