Will the time ever be right for a Catwoman reboot?

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
As we all know CINO was an absolute crime against comic book fandom and and that Denise Di Novi is film terrorist. Having said that, Catwoman is still my favorite female comic book character, and I think she deserved to have a decent solo film (CINO was not even her movie at all, since it was a separate character bearing no resemblance to Selina Kyle).

With the frequent talk about Catwoman possibly appearing in Christopher Nolan's third Batman film, I really can't help but ponder... If the character is portrayed well in the film, and the actress playing her is capable of carrying a film, is it at all possible that Warner Bros. will be willing to give Nolan's Catwoman a fair chance at a standalone film? This is obviously a bit pre-mature since some people are denying that she will be in Nolan's Batman series at all, but even so, I can't help but wonder.

Obviously, to make the film a success Warner Bros. would have to make very sure that no-one makes the mistake of thinking that the film has any connection to the Hally Berry catastrophe whatsoever. In some ways that won't be hard, because if Batman 3 makes like, 1 billion dollars and Catwoman is in it, most of that audience will be familiar with that version of the character, and if they see her on a movie poster they'll know that she has nothing to do with the Halle Berry character. Even so, Warner Bros. may be weary that the stink of CINO still haunts people's memories, and that the character can't support a film on her own (which I personally think is bullocks). They may even opt not to put "Catwoman" in the title at all, if the movie were to happen.

So what do you think? In the era of Nolan's Batman, is the world ready for another movie with a heroine named "Catwoman," or did Denise Di Novi destroy any chance the character ever had of getting a solo film by tarnishing her good name?

Wow, that was a useful contribution. :dry:

for a solo film probably not for a long while to at least a few female comic films do well. It would be better to use her in a batman film in my opinion.

I think it's pretty clear that Catwoman should appear in Batman 3 first, but I think it could be cool if they spun her off into her own movie afterwards, like they originally intended to do with Michelle Pfiefer's Catwoman after Batman Returns (eventually they lost Pfiefer though, and then they lost Ashley Judd, and finally they ended up with the Halley Berry disaster).

Maybe the best option would be to do an animated DTV of Catwoman, like an adaptation of Selina's Big Score or something. That would at least be a good means to test the waters for what kind of popularity Catwoman has on her own outside of comics.

I don't think Catwoman ever really deserves a solo film, so in that respect no.

But as it's Hollywood we'd be dealing with, I won't find it surprising if a Catwoman reboot is done anytime soon.

I think Wonder Woman deserves a movie first before there's any talk of Catwoman.

I think it's pretty clear that Catwoman should appear in Batman 3 first, but I think it could be cool if they spun her off into her own movie afterwards, like they originally intended to do with Michelle Pfiefer's Catwoman after Batman Returns (eventually they lost Pfiefer though, and then they lost Ashley Judd, and finally they ended up with the Halley Berry disaster).

Maybe the best option would be to do an animated DTV of Catwoman, like an adaptation of Selina's Big Score or something. That would at least be a good means to test the waters for what kind of popularity Catwoman has on her own outside of comics.

Bruce Timm actually expressed interest a while ago in doing a Catwoman DTV project. I think it'll happen, just not until a few yrs from now. If Catwoman is in B3, the film does well, and her character is intercepted well by audiences then I guarantee that there will be a Catwoman DTV project after that.

But as far as Catwoman getting her own live-action film, whereas there is always a possibility of her getting a spin-off if ppl love the character in B3... I highly doubt that it's going to happen. Unfortunately CINO has probably ruined the chance of Catwoman ever getting a true film adaptation, other than appearing in Batman films.

A small 30 million dollar heistflick would be cool.

But I think DC would have to introduce audiences to a new Catwoman through a Bats film.

yea it would be nice if she had a solo film. the character has a rich history that could support her own film. But yea first thing first would be in batman which should happen.

A small 30 million dollar heistflick would be cool.

But I think DC would have to introduce audiences to a new Catwoman through a Bats film.

I really like the idea of doing Catwoman as a heist flick. There can be a villain in it like Black Mask or someone to keep it feeling dangerous, but at the end of the day it should be about the plan, the prize, and the escape. They can probably fit some of her origin in the film as well, since they likely won't have time for it in Batman 3 aside from a few references. There should be NO kitty resurrection or trick turning involved though, that's for sure.

Now that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises, the idea of her getting her own movie doesn't seem so far fetched. She's a generally well liked actress who has a good amount of name recognition and box office draw, and if the reaction to her character in TDKR is positive then who knows... we might finally get a chance to sweep away the abomination that was CINO for good, and give Catwoman the movie that she deserved. It's still a pretty iffy proposition, but Batman is pretty much the hottest thing Warner Bros. has going for them right now, and I'm sure the prospect of a spinoff movie would sound pretty lucrative. If Christopher Nolan was an executive producer on it with the same writing collaborators as the Batman films, it would have a pretty darned good chance at box office success I think.

I think Catwoman works better as a supporting character/villain then a protagonist.

I could see a spinoff happening. TDKR comes out in 2012, so let's say a new Catwoman film with Hathaway comes out in 2015, that places it 11 years after CINO.

i don't under stand what worngg with hally berry catwomen. it wasn't too bad. i liked it . i even got all superman and batman and robion. sure it wasn't the greatest moive.i don't think it was that bad. i liked it.

It could be possible as long as Hathaway's character doesn't die in the movie. Or bear Bruce a child.

i don't under stand what worngg with hally berry catwomen. it wasn't too bad. i liked it . i even got all superman and batman and robion. sure it wasn't the greatest moive.i don't think it was that bad. i liked it.
Hahaha.... :cwink:

...:dry:

I think Catwoman needs Batman as a foil... So he'd have to be there in some capacity. I think the only time there could've been a semi-successful Catwoman film was right after Batman Returns. Even then, I think the movie would've required a Bruce Wayne and/or Batman cameo.

ok, I have only watched Catwoman once all the way through, and I enjoyed sitting watching it, but I am really into sh movies, so the experience of seeing a new one brings me some enjoyment automatically. I even enjoyed Batman and Robin the first few times I saw it. But, I knew they were badly made movies when I watched them. The thing about them is that part of the reason fans consider them so bad is because we know from the source material what potential these films have.

As for a spin-off from TDKR...I don't know if they would do that, they might be afraid to piss off Nolan, unless he was game for the idea and came in as executive producer and was part of the movie.

Ponyboy said:
I think Catwoman needs Batman as a foil... So he'd have to be there in some capacity. I think the only time there could've been a semi-successful Catwoman film was right after Batman Returns. Even then, I think the movie would've required a Bruce Wayne and/or Batman cameo.

I don't agree with this at all, the only foil CW needs is a good writer/director, MP/CW was by far the best thing about BR, I would have loved to have watched a movie with just that character.

Last edited:
I always wanted a DTV Catwoman of Selina's Big Score which could also work live action IMO. especially with Hathaway in the lead.

I say no...simply because Hollywood will never get it right.

Now, if DC were to start their own movie studio and take control...then sure.

The idea behind the creation of DC Entertainment was that DC is supposedly able to keep closer tabs on quality control / direction with their movies at Warner Brothers. I don't know when exactly the effects of it started kicking in or how effective they will be, but I'm hoping that Green Lantern will be the first to benefit from it. Also, if a Catwoman movie had Christopher Nolan as a producer that would certainly give it some credibility. Also, it's not like Wonder Woman where issues of budget run out the wazoo... Catwoman can be done on a fairly modest budget since she has no powers and does not use lots of fancy gadgets like Batman. It would probably be an action heist movie, which while obviously more expensive than a drama or comedy is not the same kind of money it takes to make a huge scale superhero movie like The Dark Knight.

There's also the possibility of a Catwoman animated movie on DVD, which Lobo mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if leading up to Dark Knight Rises we at least get one of those "splotlight shorts" like Jonah Hex and Green Arrow got, but a full length feature would definitely be the preferred option for any DTV venture.

As much as I enjoyed Nolan's Batman...i'd really prefer a director who can bring the characters closer to the comic. Heck, I'd prefer Snyder for Batman...but he's already doing Superman.

In what way do people want Nolan's movies to be closer to the comics? Joe Schumacher's movies were very comic-book-like, but people hated them. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"