Wind River (by Sicario writer)

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/15/jeremy-renner-elizabeth-olsen-wind-river

The Avengers: Age of Ultron co-stars will reunite for Wind River, a drama written by Sicario writer Taylor Sheridan, a rep from Thunder Road Pictures confirmed to EW. Sheridan will make his directorial debut on the feature.

Wind River follows a Fish and Game Department hunter (Renner) dealing with the death of his daughter, when he finds a the corpse of a girl who had been raped, according to Deadline. A green federal agent (Olsen) must investigate the crime and taps the hunter to help her navigate the terrain.

I like the set-up, Olsen is really promising and while Renner might not be the headliner Hollywood wanted I think he's a good actor.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...er-starring-jeremy-renner-and-elizabeth-olsen

The Weinstein Company picks up U.S. rights to Wind River

The Weinstein Company (TWC) announced today that they acquired U.S. rights to the upcoming Wind River. The project is directed by Sicario screenwriter Taylor Sheridan and marks his directorial debut and stars two-time Academy Award nominee Jeremy Renner (American Hustle, The Hurt Locker) along with Elizabeth Olsen (Avengers). They are joined by Jon Bernthal (Sicario), Graham Greene (Thunderheart), Julia Jones (Twilight) and Gil Birmingham (The Lone Ranger).

The film follows a rookie female FBI agent (Olsen) who teams up with a veteran, local game tracker with a haunted past (Renner) to investigates a murder on a remote Native American Reservation in the hopes of avenging the girl’s death.

The project is produced by Basil Iwanyk’s Thunder Road (Sicario, John Wick), Peter Berg’s Film 44 (Lone Survivor, Friday Night Lights), and Matthew George’s Savvy Media Holdings (LBJ). Savvy is financing along with Acacia Entertainment and Wayne Rogers’ Synergics Films. Star Thrower Entertainment is executive producing along with Riverstone Pictures and The Fyzz Facility. Insiders and Voltage are selling the film internationally and co-financed the film. CAA handled the domestic sale.

Sheridan’s writing credits include the upcoming Hell or High Water and last year’s critically-acclaimed Sicario, for which he received a WGA nomination for Best Original Screenplay.

Commented TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein: “We’re thrilled to be working again with Jeremy Renner, who also produced our upcoming summer film ‘The Founder,’ and this time in front of the camera with Elizabeth and the entire cast on Taylor’s incredible directorial debut. From what I’ve seen from Taylor’s work, he’s one hell of a director.”

Commented producer Matthew George: “Taylor writes with brutal authenticity, and directed a great film. It was a pleasure to work with him, Basil and the rest of the team on this project. I couldn’t think of a better home for Wind River than the Weinsteins.”

wind-river-jeremy-renner-600x399.jpeg

wind-river-jeremy-renner-1-600x399.jpeg

wind-river-elizabeth-olsen-600x399.jpeg

wind-river-elizabeth-olsen-jeremy-renner-600x452.jpeg

wind-river-elizabeth-olsen-1-600x399.jpeg

From the images it looks exactly how I was hoping it would, hopefully we get a trailer before Chiristmas.

Weinstein Company to No Longer Distribute Jeremy Renner's 'Wind River' (Exclusive)

The Weinstein Co. has dropped out as distributor of the Jeremy Renner starrer Wind River, according to sources.

The move comes ahead of the Taylor Sheridan-helmed drama's world premiere this month at the Sundance Film Festival. TWC had plunked down mid-seven figures for the film in May at the Cannes Film Festival as a prebuy. The fact that TWC bowed out has raised eyebrows given that Sheridan's 2016 film Hell or High Water has been both a critical and commercial success and is currently in the mix for a best picture Oscar nomination. Wind River is said to be a second but unrelated installment in a trio of crime films from Sheridan, with Hell or High Water being the first.

Sources say negotiations for the pic lagged over the past few months and finally fell completely apart in late December and that CAA, which is repping the film, has included it on its slate of Sundance films that are available for sale for U.S. rights that it distributed to buyers. The news, which began trickling through the buyer community late last week, was met with excitement given that Hell or High Water is one of the biggest indie box-office successes of 2016.

Wind River, which also stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jon Bernthal, follows a Fish and Game Department employee (Jeremy Renner) who stumbles upon the body of a teenage girl frozen in the desolate wilderness. He is enlisted by a rookie FBI agent (Olsen) unfamiliar with the terrain to help find those responsible.

Very interested to see this. Haven't managed to catch Hell or High Water yet, but Sicario is a favourite.

Id rather they just release it on DigitalHD and VOD. This isnt a film I need to see in theaters, but I do want to watch it so the sooner its released on home video the better.

I disagree, the survival of mid budget programmer is essential. Otherwise we're stuck with Steven Seagal VOD movies and big budget confections.

I hope somebody picks this up.
I really want to see it theaters.

I disagree, the survival of mid budget programmer is essential. Otherwise we're stuck with Steven Seagal VOD movies and big budget confections.

They make money by releasing this stuff on DigitalHD and VOD. Vudu, Amazon, FandangoNow etc charge $7 - $10 to rent these types of films that get a limited theatrical run or no run at all. VOD charges at least $5 to rent films. And more people can watch the film and pay for it when it's released on DigitalHD and VOD.

Limited theatrical runs severely limit the profits because limited theaters means limited potential viewers which means limited ticket sales. Digital is the way to go and it's helped indie films profit in the past few years.

Can we get Renner, Olsen & Bernthal added to the thread title?

I bet this is already getting picked up. Sheridan, so hot right now.

I enjoyed Sheridan's previous films so I'll definitely be on the look out for this when it drops

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis Score Jeremy Renner Movie Wind River

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis have provided the score for the new film Wind River, according to Film Music Reporter. The movie was directed by Taylor Sheridan (writer of Sicario), and stars Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, and Jon Bernthal. It is set to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21. Pitchfork has reached out to Sundance representatives for more information.

In 2016, Nick Cave released his latest album with the Bad Seeds, Skeleton Tree. He and Ellis also scored the Jeff Bridges-starring film Hell or High Water, as well as the National Geographic series “Mars” (executive produced by Ron Howard).

http://pitchfork.com/news/70976-nic...core-jeremy-renner-starring-movie-wind-river/

And apparently reports of Weinstein dumping the film weren't true...

Even though buyers can scratch Wind River off their lists (TWC closed its deal last weekend, despite reports to the contrary, said sources on both sides),...

...The other bit of news here that I can offer is that Wind River will not be an acquisition title, dashing hopes. TWC and the film’s principals, who made a deal long ago that wasn’t signed, finally closed. Wind River is the drama that marks the directorial debut of Taylor Sheridan, who as a writer is proving himself to have the potential to be a second coming of Cormac McCarthy with scripts Sicario, its sequel Soldado, and Hell or High Water, which for most of the year was the top grossing prestige film of 2016. Wind River stars fest darling Elizabeth Olsen as a long female FBI agent sent to investigate a murder on a remote Indian Reservation in the dead of winter. She finds assistance from a man with a haunted past. That role is played by Jeremy Renner and Jon Bernthal also stars.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/sundanc...ing-services-drive-deal-avalanche-1201889776/

Some reviews from the Sundance appearance, there are some spoilers so proceed with caution. I'll pick out some quotes:

...the film yanks the viewer to attention with its keen sensitivity to the rough winter conditions and limited prospects faced by the locals. It also features one of Jeremy Renner’s best recent performances, but does fall into some traps when it ventures into Tarantino and Peckinpah territory...

... In the last stretch, it seems to become almost another film, one devoted more to melodrama and balancing the ledger sheet of right and wrong than to maintaining ambiguities, the latter virtue having been a hallmark of both Sicario and Hell or High Water. On balance, it would appear that Sheridan may not be a born director but is likely astute enough to learn on the job.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/wind-river-review-967103

... in “Sicario” and, especially, “Hell or High Water,” Sheridan caught something debased and valiant, desperate and mournfully compelling in the sight of recognizable people caught up in the larger-than-life world of crime. In “Wind River,” he pushes that further, so that the scraggly human side of the drama is now far more potent and tangible than the underworld drive.

Sheridan, from the opening shots, is in full command as a director, though not because he’s built the movie around another of his elegantly barbed and perfectly carpentered screenplays. “Wind River,” if anything, tells a looser, scragglier, more organically simple story than “Hell or High Water” or “Sicario.” Sheridan wants us to know these people, this terrain, to feel the bite of the cold and the lonely sting of their lives. He immerses us in a place ruled by “snow and silence,” and uses the revelation of that atmosphere as the ultimate explanation of the crimes he’s unraveling.

In “Wind River” (the title comes from the name of the reservation), I think Sheridan succeeds in making the drama he set out to make. Every shot is in place (though many of them are handheld), every bit of dialogue is delivered with the right sly spirit (though some of it is mumbled), and Jeremy Renner plays the taciturn hero with a strong-and-silent yet vulnerable élan. Working on his own, Sheridan, more than before, has fashioned a true neo-1970s movie, a thriller that’s willing to lope and dawdle to shed light upon the world it shows you. “Wind River” adds up, and skillfully, but in the end it’s not all that exciting. It’s a vision of the new American despair — not an inner-city movie, but an inner-wilderness movie — and it could have used another twist or two.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/wind-river-review-1201966106/

For much of its running time, “Wind River” is a quiet, meditative crime drama, and a wonderfully effective one, aided by haunting music by Warren Ellis and Nick Cave.

And then, quite suddenly, it isn’t that at all. In a startling twist, the investigation suddenly becomes an explanation; while the audience is watching to see how Cory and Jane will find answers, Sheridan suddenly gives us all of those answers in a sustained blast of hellish violence.

http://www.thewrap.com/wind-river-sundance-review/

I watched Sicario recently and really enjoyed it, so let's watch this.
Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch together again, cool.

^ featuring The Punisher!

The film premiered last night at Sundance and reviews for the film were positive again. Some say it's not as great as Sicario and Hell or High Water (perhaps because Sheridan is a first time director and not comparable to Mackenzie or Villeneuve), but he's basically stuck the landing with his trilogy. Can't wait to see it.

Is there still no Trailer?
Do they calculate some success for Oscar Season or what is the deal with that one?

Apparently it got a standing ovation at Cannes.

[YT]O4SwuykLwlo[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"