Wind River (by Sicario writer)

Sofia Coppola actually won the Best Director prize for her movie The Beguiled.

What Taylor won is the equivalent of Best Runner Up of a lesser category.

Last edited:
DB6dVXCUMAA7mG-.jpg:large

There's a real lack of Lizzie Olsen on that poster. :nuhu:

I think the trailer is cut in a way to make the film look like it has more action than it probably does, for instance it hints at a snowmobile chase but somehow I doubt it. However I do love the setting and it looks like it could be a really tense and engaging thriller, I kind of got an 'Insomnia' vibe from the tone.

Great trailer. Really looking forward to this. :up:

Me,too.
Sounds like this is a passion project for Taylor Sheridan.

My theater just opened this. Has anyone else seen it?

I have... it's incredible and Jeremy Renner gave a subtle yet powerful performance. Elizabeth Olsen was okay, she wasn't given a whole lot to do as she's playing 2nd fiddle to Renner... she's also kinda playing the same character as Emily Blunt in Sicario. This movie is pretty quiet, so it's not as explosive or fun as Hell or High Water or Sicario. Still though overall i'd give it a 9/10.

I just watched it and was not disappointed.

I do feel like Elizabeth Olsen was miscast tho. This kinda felt like Sicario but set in the snow. lol

Sheridan is the real deal, but his women characters are just ok. I felt the same way about Blunt's character in Sicario too, she is just there and pretty much told what to do all the time. Hell, this character at one point didnt even pack the proper clothes for the climate. Lawd. Renner gives his best performance to date. This will be on my top 10 of they year. 9/10

I just watched it and was not disappointed.

I do feel like Elizabeth Olsen was miscast tho. This kinda felt like Sicario but set in the snow. lol

Sheridan is the real deal, but his women characters are just ok. I felt the same way about Blunt's character in Sicario too, she is just there and pretty much told what to do all the time. Hell, this character at one point didnt even pack the proper clothes for the climate. Lawd. Renner gives his best performance to date. This will be on my top 10 of they year. 9/10

I agree about Blunt but they mention why Olsen's character didn't pack proper clothes, so I'm not sure why that's a problem?

She said she flew from Vegas because she was the closest agent near the scene.

Also she's meant to be new at this, and she has no experience in that kind of location/climate.

I liked this a lot, even though it lacked originality. It really was Sicario on a reservation, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

This is an excellent film, it's part modern day revenge western and part procedural thriller with 2 really interesting protagonists and the beautiful but brutally harsh Wyoming wilderness is like a character of it's own in the movie.

Renner's Cory has the meat but Liz Olsen's Jane is the viewers eyes into a slice of the world that is unfamiliar to most of us, and I liked that she was strong willed and gritty, but also smart enough to realize she needed to work with Cory and the police chief Ben in order to navigate the hostile surroundings, caring more about justice than going on some illogical pursuit of proving herself and in turn doing just that, by utilizing the resouces at her disposal.

This is not to say Cory isn't the film's center, he is and this is Renner's best performance to date, Cory could easily have been the stereotypical, one note terse badass that knows the land and is irritated by the inexperienced FBI agent out of her depth, but Sheridan's script and Renner' performance inbue Cory with a humour, humanity and decency that makes him easy to root for, while not shying away from his sadness and his motives for being involved.

The team-up between Jane and Cory as they try to unravel what has happened is the film's heartbeat. The mystery is well paced and always engaging, and while the outcome has no big twist, it is a harshly savage dose of reality but with a conclusion that many with my mindset will find satisfactory.

Taylor Sheridan will instantly be known as an actors director, he lets his script and his cast drive the film, but he also fills his debut movie with some fantastically framed shots while also capturing the harsh beauty of the setting perfectly and delivering a couple of visceral, intense action scenes.

I have no idea or interest in awards but for me this just pips War for the Planet of the Apes as the all round best piece of moviemaking I've seen this year.

9/10

Glad you enjoyed it Hunter. I agree, definitely one of the best films of the year.

For a while it looked like this wasn't going to come to my local cinemas (Hell or High Water never came out here), but it turns out it will this weekend. :cool:

I never got around to seeing Sicario, but I loved Hell or High Water. I thought that film was simply fantastic from start to finish, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

I never got around to seeing Sicario, but I loved Hell or High Water. I thought that film was simply fantastic from start to finish, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

Definitely see Sicario, it's great. If you have Netflix, I think it's on there.

Definitely see Sicario, it's great. If you have Netflix, I think it's on there.

I seem to remember hearing mixed things when it came out, but if you recommend it, I'll absolutely check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"