Wind River (by Sicario writer)

Sicario was my favorite movie of 2015. :up:

Saw this movie a while ago and I loved it but it's one that you won't watch very often at all.

I LOOOVED Hell or High Water, I didn't even feel like it was a slow film because the characters were engaging and the plot was moving at a good pace. If this is paced like that then I'm down for Wind River.

I LOOOVED Hell or High Water, I didn't even feel like it was a slow film because the characters were engaging and the plot was moving at a good pace. If this is paced like that then I'm down for Wind River.

Hell or High Water is absolutely one of my favorite movies I've seen recently, but there were definitely some parts I'd consider slow, but not in a bad way. I felt like the movie took moments to breathe, and honestly, I feel like it was all the better for it. Between those super tense moments, the film stopped, took a step back, and really let the relationship between the brothers sink in. That and you got a sense of what was actually at stake in those moments. A film having slow moments isn't always a bad thing. In fact, I wish some movies would do that more often.

Yeah it's definitely worth seeing, there's some really powerful scenes that are subtle along with really beautiful vistas.

Hell or High Water is absolutely one of my favorite movies I've seen recently, but there were definitely some parts I'd consider slow, but not in a bad way. I felt like the movie took moments to breathe, and honestly, I feel like it was all the better for it. Between those super tense moments, the film stopped, took a step back, and really let the relationship between the brothers sink in. That and you got a sense of what was actually at stake in those moments. A film having slow moments isn't always a bad thing. In fact, I wish some movies would do that more often.

Agreed. For me, a film is only "slow" when the characters aren't engaging or interesting or palatable.

Is it kinda slow and methodical like Hell or High Water was?

It is a bit slow at some points but the reason I said that was because it is a film that is just emotionally draining and takes a lot out of you. Sorta like Logan. Great films but one's I'd only watch every few years.

Sicario was one of my favorites in 2015 too and looking back, I can't believe I wasn't planning to see that in theaters. I thought nothing of it until I saw it's RT score and the reviews started rolling in.

I just saw this and really enjoyed it. :up: I didn't follow the casting news so I was pleasantly surprised to see a certain actor during the flashback scene. I'm quite neutral with Renner but I agree that he's phenomenal here. Olsen was great too. I love the fish out of the water take on her character.

Question -

I take it Ben died as well? So, really, only Jane survived.

I just saw this and really enjoyed it. :up: I didn't follow the casting news so I was pleasantly surprised to see a certain actor during the flashback scene. I'm quite neutral with Renner but I agree that he's phenomenal here. Olsen was great too. I love the fish out of the water take on her character.

Question -

Yeah, unfortunately I think Jane was the only one that survived, but like you I was unsure at first as he didn't take what looked like a fatal shot.

I seem to remember hearing mixed things when it came out, but if you recommend it, I'll absolutely check it out.

I dooooooooooooooo
tumblr_m8w127x5BZ1rx3n09o1_500.gif

Sicario was my favorite movie of 2015. :up:

Sicario was one of my favorites in 2015 too and looking back, I can't believe I wasn't planning to see that in theaters. I thought nothing of it until I saw it's RT score and the reviews started rolling in.

Same, for 2015 Sicario was up there with Ex Machina & Slow West.

Saw this movie a while ago and I loved it but it's one that you won't watch very often at all.

Yeah, I saw it earlier today. Really f***ing good film, great performance from Renner and the harshness of the landscape (and some of the people) really came through, but it's quite heavy in what it deals with, so in that respect it's the least "rewatchable" of these three films (Sicario, Hell or High Water, Wind River). Not a knock on the film though.

I'd probably say WR is not quite as good as Sicario or HOHW, but it's about 8 hours since I've seen it and it's still in my head, so that's a good sign. When that happens it usually turns out the film only grows on me over time.

But yeah, I could sit down with a few beers and watch Hell or High Water often, Sicario less so, WR much less than that.

Same. Last year I had it tops among The Nice Guys, Civil War, Hunt for the Wilderpeople & Suburra (Incidentally, the director of Suburra, Stefano Solima, has directed the sequel to Sicario - Soldado. Suburra is on Netflix & I recommend people check it out).

I think you'd really enjoy Sicario based on what you said there.

Hell or High Water is a great modern Western. I was visiting a buddy last week and made him watch that & Sicario back-to-back. You can tell they're from the same writer (same for WR), Sheridan has a very strong voice as a writer, with him writing & Solima directing Soldado I'm really looking forward to it (I know there were plenty of skeptics when it was announced but I think Sheridan has proved his quality at this point).

I had seen his named attached, I assumed he was the one who did it, because why would you cast him and not advertise it?

Question -

It seems so, yes.

Yeah, I saw it earlier today. Really f***ing good film, great performance from Renner and the harshness of the landscape (and some of the people) really came through, but it's quite heavy in what it deals with, so in that respect it's the least "rewatchable" of these three films (Sicario, Hell or High Water, Wind River). Not a knock on the film though.

I'd probably say WR is not quite as good as Sicario or HOHW, but it's about 8 hours since I've seen it and it's still in my head, so that's a good sign. When that happens it usually turns out the film only grows on me over time.

But yeah, I could sit down with a few beers and watch Hell or High Water often, Sicario less so, WR much less than that.

Personally enjoyed Wind River more, but definitely. I kept thinking about WR for a while after.

I liked Sicario and especially HoHW much more than this but this was still very good, number 3 of the year for me after Logan and Dunkirk

I loved this. It's a slow, permeating build, but when it hits it hits hard. Everything from the cinematography, to the score and the acting is just top notch here. I'm not too familiar with Sheridan's work other than Sicario and Hell or High Water, but honestly as of right now I already know I enjoyed it more than either those movies which says something considering how great both are. This is easily the best performance I have seen from Renner in a very long time, and he definitely nails the big scenes along with the quieter moments. Olsen is really solid as well, but their just isn't a whole lot to chew on when it comes to her character. Also, that whole confrontation at the trailer has to be my favorite scene in any movie this year.

Not just the shootout either, but I loved that seamless transition where we find out exactly what happened with the girl and Jon Bernthahl's character.
The scene itself is just so brutal and disturbing and very well done.

9/10

This is that film I didn't expect to be as good. But Tayler Sheridan, man, from Sons of Anarchy on... I am recommending this to people.

The one thing I wasn't sure of was the coyote stuff in the beginning might be a turnoff to some people, but...
When you find out later that coyotes chewed up his daughters body, I understood why he was doing it.

Really good film, got sucked in quickly, almost had an early 80's feel to it.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie. It built slowly to a crescendo. Acting was solid.

Remote miner/rig worker guys seem to often be villains in Tv shows and films I've noticed. The bad guys in this movie were truly despicable but in a believable way. Pete's confession behavior and confession could of came off as cartoonish in a lesser filmmakers hands but it felt very real under Sheridan's direction.

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well, had some solid performances by Renner and Olsen and the story was riveting and extremely dark at times...I personally knew
Jon Bernthal was in it but didnt think his part would be so small. Funny because the same thing happened in Baby Driver I thought he'd have a bigger part in that too, kinda sucks cuz hes my favorite actor right now.
I thought the movie was a 9/10

This is a great film. It's emotionally taxing. The pacing was just right, and the actors all did a good job. Renner especially did good. I'd love to see him continue doing more low key dramatic roles like this.

I saw this a couple weeks ago and was very impressed. Wish I'd seen this in theaters instead of mother! For Sheridan's directorial debut he did a masterful job. I'm not sure whether I prefer this or Hell or High Water, both are great films. The only things about this film I had a slight issue with is how neatly everything is wrapped up at the end,[blackout] and just how debauched the perpetrators ended up being. They went from regular drunk idiots to rapists and murderers in the blink of an eye with a stash of automatic weapons they were perfectly willing to use on a group of cops. I could buy one or two people doing that, but half a dozen? Just seemed a little preposterous.[/blackout]

As with Detroit, I was surprised to see this film get passed over at the Globes. Hopefully that doesn't reflect on its chances for the Oscars or the various guild awards.

This is a great film. It's emotionally taxing. The pacing was just right, and the actors all did a good job. Renner especially did good. I'd love to see him continue doing more low key dramatic roles like this.

It really is. As much as I loved it, I won't be watching it again that soon or often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"