Windows Memory/Firefox issue

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I keep getting this warning from Windows that the memory is running low and they need to close Firefox, yet looking at the amount of free memory I have this makes no sense.

I have ran Windows Memory diagnostic check and everything came back fine, so I thought I'd turn to the good tech savvy folks at SHH, any ideas what the issue might be?

...maybe you need to clean out the registry or cookies? possibly the browsing history

Maybe it is a browser bug or something, try uninstalling & reinstalling Firefox to see if that helps any.

Maybe it is a browser bug or something, try uninstalling & reinstalling Firefox to see if that helps any.

That would be my guess. It sounds like Firefox is suffering from memory leaks. Doing a quick Google search, that seems common enough. If it's possible for you, maybe switch to a different browser like Chrome or Opera and see if your results improve.

If you have a virus scanner, it may be scanning your sqlite files every time Firefox updates -- that may be it particularly if you have a lot of rss feeds and bookmarks. It could even just be the feeds and bookmarks without the scanner (AVG Resident Shield, McAfee, Avast, whatever) constantly scanning the sqlite files.

That would be my guess. It sounds like Firefox is suffering from memory leaks. Doing a quick Google search, that seems common enough. If it's possible for you, maybe switch to a different browser like Chrome or Opera and see if your results improve.

I read a bit about memory leaks but couldn't see a direct fix, come to think of it this started shortly after Firefox updated me to their new version. I don't currently have those browsers installed but I can certainly give them a try.

If you have a virus scanner, it may be scanning your sqlite files every time Firefox updates -- that may be it particularly if you have a lot of rss feeds and bookmarks. It could even just be the feeds and bookmarks without the scanner (AVG Resident Shield, McAfee, Avast, whatever) constantly scanning the sqlite files.

I do have AVG installed and it did recently update to a new version. How do I check the amount of bookmarks and rss feeds I have so I can cut down on them?

If it is indeed a memory leak, which appears to have been a problem with Firefox before, then the issue is with Firefox itself, not on your end. Firefox did just recently release that big revamped update, and if you started seeing this problem right after that, then it could hint that the update has a flaw in it. If this is the case, you could wait for them to release an update to patch it, or you could use another browser, like I mentioned. My personal preference is Chrome, but there are a few to choose from. Hopefully this helps.

I do have AVG installed and it did recently update to a new version. How do I check the amount of bookmarks and rss feeds I have so I can cut down on them?

Go to Bookmarks in the file menu, click 'Show All Bookmarks.' That will bring up the Bookmark Manager (Library). Type a common letter like 'a' or 'e' in the search bar, enter, and all the bookmarks with that letter will show up in the right pane. Select any one and "ctrl+a" -- below the pane you'll get a count of how many items (bookmarks) with that letter are in the pane.

With rss feeds, I think you just have to manually count them from you bookmarks in the file menu. You might have to get an rss reader add-on like Wizz or Sage to get better management of rss feeds -- I'm not sure.

I've had problems with Firefox's new update too, mostly it crashes. I think that might be an addon issue or conflict as opposed to Firefox itself but it didn't start until this update, which also necessitated new addons to unimprove some their "improvements".

If it's a memory leak then removing cookies, clearing the browser cache, bookmarks, etc isn't likely to do much. Addons are more likely to cause issues but there are so many it's impossible to even guess at what might be the problem. Some addons only cause a problem combined with other addons or with specific pages or circumstances.

It's become a real pain in the ass. Firefox used to be so much better than this.

If it is indeed a memory leak, which appears to have been a problem with Firefox before, then the issue is with Firefox itself, not on your end. Firefox did just recently release that big revamped update, and if you started seeing this problem right after that, then it could hint that the update has a flaw in it. If this is the case, you could wait for them to release an update to patch it, or you could use another browser, like I mentioned. My personal preference is Chrome, but there are a few to choose from. Hopefully this helps.

Go to Bookmarks in the file menu, click 'Show All Bookmarks.' That will bring up the Bookmark Manager (Library). Type a common letter like 'a' or 'e' in the search bar, enter, and all the bookmarks with that letter will show up in the right pane. Select any one and "ctrl+a" -- below the pane you'll get a count of how many items (bookmarks) with that letter are in the pane.

With rss feeds, I think you just have to manually count them from you bookmarks in the file menu. You might have to get an rss reader add-on like Wizz or Sage to get better management of rss feeds -- I'm not sure.

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, very much appreciated. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"