Winner Takes it All....

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Mandon Knight, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

You've posted on here before right ? :cwink: :woot:

2. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

As is right and proper :woot:

3. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Collidor' Top 50 thoughts:

Batman v. Superman doesn't deserve to be an honorable mention
    Surprised all the MCU movies are in the Top 50 except Iron Man 2. Ragnarok is not on the list because of the date of it's release.
    I've said in the past that TDK > TWS/CW > BB > TFA > TDKR and collectively that's why I prefer the Captain America Trilogy to the TDKT. Glad someone agrees with me. :) Although I do believe that TDKR should be slightly higher.
    Wonder Woman is too high.
    Spider-Man 2 should be in the Top 10.
    As previous stated, I like that the Top 6 MCU are in the Top 13.

4. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

I've noticed that all the people who don't like The Dark Knight say 'it's Number One because of Heath Ledger's performance and because he died' as if to minimise the rest of the film. This is garbage, of course. The film is a complete package, of which Ledger's performance is just one part.

5. Mandon Knight

And.....(grand fanfare).....at Number 1

The Dark Knight :brucebat::hoboj::2face:

[YT]_AjuTLBgqiM[/YT]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Bravo. Well deserved.

7. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

No they don't. As usual people that try to speak for everyone of a certain opinion fail. I don't think the film is more than good and that it's Nolan's 2nd to 3rd least good film, but I don't make excuses for why many others like it so much or try to put words in other people's mouths.

8. Mandon Knight

In the 'winner's' video posted above at the 8:48-9:07 stage, with Dennis Tzeng explaining his view on why there isn't a CBM which will 'top' it for all the same reasons....and I appreciate this entire thread choice, let alone the Collider list choice is ultimately subjective & personal beyond any other chosen parameter or remit, and for all the reasons I can see why TDK has been chosen at 1, Dennis' wording at this frame of the vid....Superman The Movie matched it in all the key example areas he lists as the points for consideration. For me, for it's importance and how well it is made, Superman (1978) is the winner and here on the Collider list at 6 !???!!! Really !! utter bobbins.

9. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

I'm just glad they highlighted Nolan and other actors, not just Ledger. Its easy to act like Ledger is the sole reason why this movie is great, but that's never really been the case.

That was probably their best video in their "Top 50" series.

10. Mandon Knight

I appreciate they 'collectively' only have limited time to give their reasons on the video's across each film, but a lot of them, inc. this final one, barely touch the film making aspects of the actual films, they are 'ooh this is cool because'... reasoning for their choice.

As a film maker, I would have liked to have seen beyond the 'character' to a certain extent on each of these and into the film making choices and breakdown of that given they are numerically choosing the best of CBM's not characters. Not saying this happens with EVERY choice or video, but I think it prevalent in many of how the video's are presented and the way the films are eulogized over.

11. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I have my issues with this list (X2 shouldn't be anywhere near the top 10 and WW is definitely not better than Iron man) , but I do like how it highlights that the MCU is comprised of quality along with quantity. Most of the films in the top 10 are MCU films.

12. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight.

Others ...

The Dark Knight Rises
    Watchmen
    Sin City
    Man of Steel
    Ragnarok
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    First Class
    Spider Man 2

ETA: I forgot Snowpiercer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

Always will be.

14. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

TDK is the best, but I’m hoping something more comic-booky like Avengers 4 can exceed or at least match it some day.

15. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I personally think TDK has been surpassed even in the "serious" (for lack of a good one-word description) CBM category. I think Logan has fewer flaws, has better characters and is more emotional. Neither are among the best in terms of action, but Logan has much better hand to hand action and takes that part in the comparison as well. TDK has a much better villain though. The ones in Logan aren't that special.

I don't think either of them are the best at capturing the essence and feel superheroes though. But I like TDK and I love Logan.

As for the list I don't really care, nor would I if it would have somehow perfectly aligned with my list (that I'll never make, I'm not a fan of detailed rankings).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. DA_Champion

The thing is that "TDK is the best" has become a cliche at this point, so even if a better CBM emerged we might not be able to realize it, or be afraid of saying it / arguing it. It's also the case that other CBMs have not had as much time to be influential, and are now dealing with more competition.

I'd say that Ragnarok and Snowpiercer come closest (for me), but they have not done as well with the general audience. In both cases, I can't possibly say if I enjoy them as much on 6th or 7th rewatch.

17. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

I don't think people would be afraid to argue that TDK has been surpassed. IMO, TDK actually hasn't been surpassed, but you still see people arguing otherwise all the time.

18. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

10 years into the genre, how many franchises attempted that approach? How many stayed that way?

TNT apparently found value in Snowpiercer.

19. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

It's true that time does cement things. I, for example, love the original Star Wars trilogy and I'm quite sure my love for it has been cemented over all the years.

Whether people don't realize it or are afraid to say it I don't know. I don't want to put words into anyone else's mind. I'm also well aware that I'm outside the norm in my opinions of TDK and I of course don't begrudge anyone else of loving it.

I've actually not seen Snowpiercer. Maybe I should do that tonight as the evening just opened up for me.

20. DA_Champion

Imo, watch snowpiercer with the lights dimmed, the cell phone turned off and out of view, and a bottle of red wine.

Then report back to us tomorrow :-)

21. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Ragnarok will certainly go down as one of the best.

Snowpiercer is excellent. Haven't seen it in years but it's definitely a good one.

22. BaelaTargaryen

BaelaTargaryen Well-Known Member

23. Patchwork Man

Patchwork Man Well-Known Member

Which is why TDK holds its ranking. Logan is an awesome film, yes, but its villains are one-dimensional, and that's all they really need to be. The focus is on Logan, Charles and Laura/X-23.

Jackman said the theme of Logan is, essentially, "violence, and its consequences." Mangold and Jackman didn't set out to conclude the saga with a "superhero" film.

24. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Edgar Wright is definitely a storyteller whose appeal is only to teenage girls. :lmao:

25. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

Not for me as Logan sails past due to the protagonists being much better in my view.

I know what they tried to do, but since we're talking supehero films I specified why I don't think they succeeded as well with that aspect. If we're talking drama with deeper themes I don't think anything in the superhero genre holds up to the absolute top, but in terms of being big action movies I think the genre has spawned films that can compete with the best in that area.