Greatest Cinematic Experience....

1) Jurassic Park
2) The Dark Knight
3) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
4) Dunkirk
5) Marvel's The Avengers

Cloverfield. Had no idea what it was about going in and my mind was blown. So, much fun.

That was VERY cool and unique. Loved that movie. It's a unique brand and I'm looking forward to the next one early in 2018.

Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2
The Avengers
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dunkirk

I also admit that I have fond memories of seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest for the first time in theaters. The Barbossa ending brought the roof down.

Re-surfacing this old-ish thread in preparation for those who I suspect or may wish to add IW to the grand title for this thread's 'champion'....

It's probably got to be James Cameron's Avatar for me; it was the first film I ever saw in 3D, and it was, to be honest, breathtaking. I suppose it helped in that the feature was filmed with all of that in mind, and the magic and discovery of the story helped.

I've only seen a handful of other films in 3D, and quite honestly, none of them have come close to Avatar. Shame about the sequels mind you.

600px-2001-4.png

Batman Begins - I saw it twice during the original theatrical run. Even though I saw TDK three times, it wasn't as satisfying and fulfilling as BB.
The Avengers
Wonder Woman - I saw this 4-5 times in theaters. I really connected with this like with BB, and I imagine black audiences felt the same way about Black Panther.
Spider-man 2 - I'm going to single this out. I saw it first on a sold-out show on Labor Day weekend. And the audience really got into it. I was blown away by how good it was and superior to the original (which I was lukewarm on).

Reactions: CJ
Jurassic Park as a kid back in '93, nothing comes close. Old enough to get it, young enough to still not grasp the CG/effects stuff and have your mind blown.

Cinderella and last train to Busan. I love it when the audience is really into it. Yelping, jumping, spitting venom at the villain of the piece

Just come back from a 50th anniversary screening of 2001 : A Space Odyssey and was just incredible. Never seen it on the big screen before and has just nearly finished me off. Unbelievable experience.

Recently able to see my favourite (non CBM) film, Vertigo at a 60th Anniversary screening and was just mesmeric at being able to see it on the big screen. It was just bliss to watch it.

Batman Begins: Boy was I hyped as hell for that movie and I loved it. Loved the cast, the cinematography, the score. Saw it 3 times.

In terms of audience reactions, where I live people are very subdued at the cinemas apart from that one guy yelling "bollocks" at the end of The Blair Witch Project. But the most vocal audience I saw was for The Dark Knight. Loads of gasps, laughter and applause.

Unquestionably The Dark Knight.

Just thought I'd bump this for those that feel that Endgame might have given you 'this' experience.....

Has to be Endgame, Avatar and The Dark Knight easily.

I think Revenge of the Sith is mine. I was 16, there wasn’t a Clone Wars announced yet, and my parents surprised me with midnight tickets. No one in the theater was complaining about the prequels, everyone was hyped to see Anakin’s transformation. And that energy carried through the whole film.
I’ll also admit, Endgame was huge. It felt like quite a good payoff for so much investment.

By year of release and based mostly on crowd reaction:

1997: Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope - Special Edition
2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2005: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2007: Spider-Man 3 (Not because of the movie itself, but because it was my first midnight movie experience)
2008: The Dark Knight
2012: The Avengers
2015: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2018: Avengers: Infinity War
2019: Avengers: Endgame

Metropolis: (played with tech music live)
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Independence Day
TDK (Nolan also had Inception, Interstellar, and Dunkirk, but I'll put them all together)
Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity Duos. (same as above)
Star Wars Original Trilogy. (I saw them on special anniversary showings)
Of the new SW ones: The Last Jedi, awesome.
LOTR, all three.
Mad Max Fury Road.

I'm sure I'm missing some that I can't recall immediately.

My main ones would be....

Best will always be screening of my own feature film in 2012
Superman with my Dad in 1978
E.T. in 1982
Star Wars in 1977
Empire Strikes Back in 1980
Batman Begins in 2005
Vertigo screening last year
2001 earlier this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics