The Amazing Spider-Man 2 With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw Man Of Steel. It was brilliant, 9.4/10 for me

I got two nitpicks, the first one being (SPOILERS, DON'T READ)
Pa' Kent went back to save a dog?? I can kinda look past this since dogs are very important to many people, and I especially buy it if they were farmers but still, he went back for a dog?? Could've done without that scene
and the other nitpick being that the score did repeat itself a little too much. other than that it was awesome, and while Clark could've gotten just a tad more development, I was completely fine with how it played out

I realized that I'll be on vacation from the 17th to the 21st. So looks like no SDCC for me. :( Someone write a list of everything good and report back to me. Times New Roman font, 12 size font, double spaced, MLA heading, etc. I like pretty much everything except Anime.

kthxbai

That happens to me every year. Thankfully this year I'm going on vacation a week after SDCC. Hurray.

I wish. I always miss all the news and stuff out of SDCC though because I'm always gone, this year thankfully I shouldn't miss anything.

Personally, I'm more excited for SDCC 2014. I want to see the year before basically every big movie comes out.

I would have to disagree. It's being inspired by the structure as much as films like IM and TAS-M(and also MOS) were inspired by the film's tone. Plus, it had the flashbacks sporadically from beginning to end to go along with a certain scene's theme compared to BB that only had flashbacks in the first act.

I didn't want to talk about this until I had seen MoS a 2nd time, but the flashbacks aren't really beginning to end. There's only one flashback that goes past act 1 in MoS (the one with the bully trying to get Clark to beat him). And then there's the final flashback with kid Clark playing superhero (just like Bruce sees the stethoscope in the end and flashes back to his dad using it on kid Bruce).

If "inspiration" is the word you want to use, fine, but it was pretty heavy "inspiration". And since it's the same writer, getting inspiration from himself can easily be translated to "trying to recapture what worked in BB". And poorly, too.

Btw, 2nd viewing of MoS and final rating: 7/10 (was 7.5-8 upon 1st viewing). Nice try, but next time it'll have to be nicer. Never expected to compare it to TASM, but there you go. Difference is, TASM doesn't make a lick of sense script-wise, whereas I felt emotionally disconnected to MoS.

Pa' Kent went back to save a dog?? I can kinda look past this since dogs are very important to many people, and I especially buy it if they were farmers but still, he went back for a dog?? Could've done without that scene

That was beyond ******ed. Have him save that kid and his mom before getting his leg broken and it'd be a brilliant scene to me (the reason he dies, refusing help from Clark to protect him is genius). But not go back for a god damn dog, no matter how much a part of the family said dog is.

and the other nitpick being that the score did repeat itself a little too much. other than that it was awesome, and while Clark could've gotten just a tad more development, I was completely fine with how it played out

As a dog lover, that scene really tugged at my heart where Martha was wanting to save the dog and Jonathan did it even though Clark was more than capable too. That, plus Jonathan not wanting Clark to have to show his abilities infront of all those people...really killed my emotions there, lol.

I didn't want to talk about this until I had seen MoS a 2nd time, but the flashbacks aren't really beginning to end. There's only one flashback that goes past act 1 in MoS (the one with the bully trying to get Clark to beat him). And then there's the final flashback with kid Clark playing superhero (just like Bruce sees the stethoscope in the end and flashes back to his dad using it on kid Bruce).

If "inspiration" is the word you want to use, fine, but it was pretty heavy "inspiration". And since it's the same writer, getting inspiration from himself can easily be translated to "trying to recapture what worked in BB". And poorly, too.

Btw, 2nd viewing of MoS and final rating: 7/10 (was 7.5-8 upon 1st viewing). Nice try, but next time it'll have to be nicer. Never expected to compare it to TASM, but there it. Difference is, TASM doesn't make a lick of sense script-wise, whereas I felt emotionally disconnected to MoS.

Holy ****, I forgot about Bruce looking back at him playing with his dad's stethoscope as a child and I even saw BB a week ago :doh:

Okay, you got me there as I totally forgot that, but I still feel that Man of Steel's flashbacks played sporadic and wasn't time constraining as BB's flashbacks where most of them were longer than just a moment of time as they played out an entire day/night at some moments.

Okay, you got me there as I totally forgot that, but I still feel that Man of Steel's flashbacks played sporadic and wasn't time constraining as BB's flashbacks where most of them were longer than just a moment of time as they played out an entire day/night at some moments.

But wouldn't you agree that those differences are really small when it comes to the overall story structure? I mean, I don't want to count the minutes passing between each flashback in BB and in MoS, but if you basically just look at both movies' structures, there's a 90% similarity (MoS still starts with Krypton, so they're not identical).

Come to think of it, I'd argue that BB's flashbacks felt like they were taking their time more, whereas MoS' were more abrupt. Only the schoolbus-farm truck-spaceship flashback felt as "laid back" as BB's, because it was 3 scenes instead of one. That's probably why I kept feeling that BB's flashbacks were more organically included in the movie compared to MoS', who felt like obligatory/footnote-y insertions to me.

No, not really. I liked how the little snippets of flashbacks helped with that specific scene as much as the more elaborated flashbacks of BB.

Disagreed completely, but fair enough.

As a dog lover, that scene really tugged at my heart where Martha was wanting to save the dog and Jonathan did it even though Clark was more than capable too. That, plus Jonathan not wanting Clark to have to show his abilities infront of all those people...really killed my emotions there, lol.

I can understand that. One of the friends I went to see MoS with is a dog lover as well, and he really liked that part. Still, I'm not that into dogs and that part was almost kinda cringe-worthy for me, and I know many others that agree. I value all life, but when it comes down to the extremes like very likely dying, human life comes before the one of animal's. So I wonder if the sequence could've been played out without a dog so the emotions could cater better to the non-dog lovers as well... I hope you don't view me as a terrible person after this :woot:

Any other good films this summer? I'm aware of Don Jon, which looks very interesting, but what else?

I'm so stuck in superhero film news right now that I have a hard time keeping track on other stuff.

I'm looking forward to Pacific Rim, Wolverine, and Elysium.

MOS was a 7/10 for me, I liked it and thought it was a good movie. I might like it more with a 2nd viewing. Oh don't watch WWZ, it's kinda bad 4/10. There are some creative and classic zombie moments which are good though.

No matter what you may think of the dog scene you have to admit, that in contrast to Superman the Move, where Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, where Clark COULDN'T have prevented it, it was much smarter to kill him in a way Clark absolutely could have prevented, but didn't. It makes his death more of an Uncle Ben, important, formative moment that would have shaped Clark's moral compass much more.

No matter what you may think of the dog scene you have to admit, that in contrast to Superman the Move, where Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, where Clark COULDN'T have prevented it, it was much smarter to kill him in a way Clark absolutely could have prevented, but didn't. It makes his death more of an Uncle Ben, important, formative moment that would have shaped Clark's moral compass much more.

I understand the point of the scene and I agree with the point of the scene, but the scene didn't need a dog to be delivered well

MOS was a 7/10 for me, I liked it and thought it was a good movie. I might like it more with a 2nd viewing. Oh don't watch WWZ, it's kinda bad 4/10. There are some creative and classic zombie moments which are good though.

Judging from the trailers, WWZ looks like a bad film.

I want to see WWZ, but having read, and loved the book, I am afraid. I am just goign to go into it assuming it is a completely different franchise. Ill pretend it is a reboot of the Romero films.

^ That's what I hear. Probably the safe thing to do.

I want to see WWZ, but having read, and loved the book, I am afraid. I am just goign to go into it assuming it is a completely different franchise. Ill pretend it is a reboot of the Romero films.

Is there just one book or is it a series?

WWZ, and Zombie Survival Guide are both written in the same universe. WWZ is a historical textbook style collection of interviews written by the author of ZSG, Max Brooks, who is a survivor of the Zombie apocalypse in the world, which, in universe, is currently recovering and starting anew, like post WWII europe

EDIT: Max Brooks is also the real author of both, but in universe, he is also a survivor and still a writer. They are both written as academic texts for teaching survivors how to deal with zombies in case of another attack.

Last edited:
I gave it an 8.5. It was highly entertaining, but the lack of any real serious moments and the ****ing Mandarin reveal was a stab to the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"