Wolverine Origins thoughts

Horrorfan

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, I heard all the complaints and how bad this series was, and how Daniel way sucks, blah blah blah, and I wasn't fond of the art by steve dillon at all, but I decided to pick this up, even though I was very hesistant, I thought the idea was intriguing.

Basically, I don't think I've ever known a series with such unjust critisim. I thought it was incredibly well written, delving into Logan's less than savoury past, making him a much richer, stronger character overall. I REALLY felt for nuke, and I'm not the kind to feel sympathy for any kind of villain usually, but what Logan did to him, brainwashed or not, really sucked. It makes you feel for the first time that wolverine really does have a lot to attone for.

The fights were well handled too, especially Cap vs Wolverine...it's nice to know someone at marvel actually remembers Wolverine has fighting technique and is not just some animal.

I guess I don't get the often personal hate for way. His other series I read, Ghost Rider, was not a patch on the ennis series, but (as a not too huge fan of GR I admit) was a fun ride at the very least. That's from a non fan point of view though, on that series at least I can understand fan's problems with continuity errors and whatnot.

I know a lot of those trendy ''anti-wolverine'' guys will probably flame me, but I don't care. This series was highly enjoyable and I can't wait to get the second tpb, although it needs a new artist like Francis Yu.

Basically, I don't think I've ever known a series with such unjust critisim. I thought it was incredibly well written, delving into Logan's less than savoury past, making him a much richer, stronger character overall.

Thats your problem right there. And really, I have to call you out on your taste when you say its "incredibly well written" because I'm sorry, even the biggest Wolverine fans on this board wouldn't call it that.

Thats your problem right there. And really, I have to call you out on your taste when you say its "incredibly well written" because I'm sorry, even the biggest Wolverine fans on this board wouldn't call it that.

What's the flaws with it, then? It's not illogical, it delves into wolverine's darker side of his past (which people forget exists), the fights actually are done really well, and it makes you view a ''villain'' in a sympathetic light....so maybe you can explain the flaws I missed?

What's the flaws with it, then? It's not illogical, it delves into wolverine's darker side of his past (which people forget exists), the fights actually are done really well, and it makes you view a ''villain'' in a sympathetic light....so maybe you can explain the flaws I missed?

Its a cliche driven book, oh snap, Wolverine has a kid. Why would you want to be sympathetic towards a villain? Especially Nuke. The fights are ****, and aren't done real well. Decompression at its finest. This book is going nowhere fast, especially with Way's "5 year plan". This book doesn't deliver on any of its promises. Loeb's Wolverine has done more to uncover Logan's past in 2 issues that Origins has done in 10.

from an artistic standpoint, the drawings were great. the story, well thats up to the opinion of the reader

Its a cliche driven book, oh snap, Wolverine has a kid. Why would you want to be sympathetic towards a villain? Especially Nuke. The fights are ****, and aren't done real well. Decompression at its finest. This book is going nowhere fast, especially with Way's "5 year plan". This book doesn't deliver on any of its promises. Loeb's Wolverine has done more to uncover Logan's past in 2 issues that Origins has done in 10.

Cliche driven? Why wouldn't Logan have a kid? He's been around a long time, and had quite a few serious relationships. You don't especially want to be sympathic for a villain, but it's called characterisation, when it adds layers. What happened to Nuke was not really his fault. Wolverine essentially made Nuke what he became.

You are just saying the fights are **** because wolverine wins :whatever: I know you well enough to know that....you just hate that a writer remembers he's not just all beserker rage.

Cliche driven? Why wouldn't Logan have a kid? He's been around a long time, and had quite a few serious relationships. You don't especially want to be sympathic for a villain, but it's called characterisation, when it adds layers. What happened to Nuke was not really his fault. Wolverine essentially made Nuke what he became.

You are just saying the fights are **** because wolverine wins :whatever: I know you well enough to know that....you just hate that a writer remembers he's not just all beserker rage.

Thats the point though, I don't think Logan wants a kid, and its cliche that he has a long lost son and he's *gasp* evil and hates his guts. Wow, talk about breaking new ground.

There was no reason to even bring Nuke into the fold on this title, and by default no reason to make me sympathize with someone. SOmetimes you know, people are crazy and evil, because they're crazy and evil and its becoming cliche to have some backstory where he was touched by a priest on his private parts or something.

And no, if Wolverine won those fights within the realms of common logic I don't mind if he wins. I already have grasped the fact that Wolverine is going to win a fight 9 out of 10 times, but for the love of god, have it make sense. And I still don't see how those fights showed he had more than berserker rage considering, thats exactly how he won those fights.:huh:

Thats the point though, I don't think Logan wants a kid, and its cliche that he has a long lost son and he's *gasp* evil and hates his guts. Wow, talk about breaking new ground.

There was no reason to even bring Nuke into the fold on this title, and by default no reason to make me sympathize with someone. SOmetimes you know, people are crazy and evil, because they're crazy and evil and its becoming cliche to have some backstory where he was touched by a priest on his private parts or something.

And no, if Wolverine won those fights within the realms of common logic I don't mind if he wins. I already have grasped the fact that Wolverine is going to win a fight 9 out of 10 times, but for the love of god, have it make sense. And I still don't see how those fights showed he had more than berserker rage considering, thats exactly how he won those fights.:huh:

Yeah, you do realise that truly original stories are pretty much non existant now, right? The departed was a remake, wow, it's cliched trash then I guess?

If you want villains with no real background or meat, go to DC. Marvel actually likes characterisation. Y ou must have walked into the wrong section if you wanted flat villains.

How did Wolverine winning those fights not make sense? And what do you call what he did to Captain America, where he smashed him in the leg causing damage that caught up to h im later? Do you usually make calculated moves while in a rage then? Because doesn't that kinda take ''beserker'' out of the equation? And rage, for that matter? And plus, if you are in a rage, how do you have the sense to do rolls and evasions? I don't know, maybe you haven't ever been angry, or maybe it's just a different angry to everyone else where you some how keep all your senses fully intact and remain incredibly focus? :huh:

Sounds to me you have what I call ''Paul Anderson'' syndrome, where you are on a bandwagon hating a creator personally, so deliberately slamming his work. I know here there are a lot of people who don't like way, and not just for his comics, so I'm fairly sure you are one of them. You are clasping at straws now.

It's cliched- good luck only reading original things then! BTW, how's the 24 inspired DC comic, 52, or the crisis comic (they have had so many series of that name I'm not even sure by now which crisis they are on).

Beserker rage won all the fights - yes, because clearly in a rage you think coherantly enough to be able to evade and cause damage in specific areas using knowledge of the human body?

original stories are hard to come by, however this prodigal son bit has been in circulation since before the wheel was invented. I have to side with darth on that one.

The long-lost son thing is really, really played out. It's being done in JSA right now, too, and it's horrible over there. Plus, doesn't Wolverine's kid have the added embarrassment of a terrible haircut?

My thoughts on Wolverine Origins?

It's god awful

When I heard about Wolverine's son, I knew I wouldn't touch it. Oh, and the facial expressions look all the same.

AGAIN MY OPINION
The art was terrible. I swear i looked at the cover art and i saw the inside. The style is awful. Seriously the colors are flat and the faces are terrible.

I've been reading wolverine origins and quite frankly it isn't Daniel way's best work.While I did enjoy the first arc, the second one fell flat.I have enjoyed some of Daniel Way's previois work including one of my favorite minis Bulleye's greatest hits and his current ghost rider run which i enjoy every issue.that being said i think i might drop this book.it hasn't been entertianing for a while plus i can't get into the art{Dillion has same face for everyone}So my opioin is while it was enjoyable at first now it's not that fun.

I picked up a few issues, thought it was terrible dropped it and havn't looked back.

you hit the nail right on the head there.

Dillon was a poor match of an artist. Way's stories, while continuity heavy with good characterizations, suffers from extreme decompression. 13 issues an' we've gone nowhere fast. This didn't require a series. This required a series of minis. Maybe one or two more. That's it. Also there are some things he's doin', eg the kid an' Cyber back from the dead.

Dillon was a poor match of an artist. Way's stories, while continuity heavy with good characterizations, suffers from extreme decompression.

Nailed it on the head. My problem isn't with the concepts, it's the execution. It's pretty much on my "to drop" list. Each issue I fly through reading, yet little seems to happen.

I like the concept that Wolverine has a son being forced through the same **** he's had to endure. I like that Logan is on a path to stop that while discovering his own past. I like the fantastic covers. I just am really not enjoying this.

Word is,that the origins was done just so Wolverine would have a origin.Mainly for the Wolverine movie,Claremont and even Joe Q was against Wolverine having an origin.But the movie company that owns the rights to the X-Men films would have done something if Marvel had done nothing,so anything was put together..just so Wolverine would have a backstory.

Word is,that the origins was done just so Wolverine would have a origin.Mainly for the Wolverine movie,Claremont and even Joe Q was against Wolverine having an origin.But the movie company that owns the rights to the X-Men films would have done something if Marvel had done nothing,so anything was put together..just so Wolverine would have a backstory.

You're mixing things up. That's Paul Jenkins story (which, in my opinion, is fantastic). This thread is about the current series by Daniel Way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"