The Wolverine Wolverine's Mask

Ok, let's say we can get a writer who can make sense out of the outfit Wolverine normally wears in the comics. How do you explain that he's the only X-Man that wears a mask, while everyone else shows their faces?

That is exactly one of the reasons why they dropped the mask for the first movie.

and of all the x men he would be the least likely to hide his face lol

Ok, let's say we can get a writer who can make sense out of the outfit Wolverine normally wears in the comics. How do you explain that he's the only X-Man that wears a mask, while everyone else shows their faces?

At this point in continuity I dont think you do but I guess anytime theres a scene where he has to hide his identity it could be used. He could eventually go covert in X Force or if an alt reality version of Logan is introduced in later films it could work.

Last edited:
Alternate reality Wolverine.... Really?

Alternate reality Wolverine.... Really?

Or Alt timeline. DOFP coming up, cant rule out anything with these films. Usually Alt Logan doesnt wear a Mask, but if they want an extreme different take they could go the route.

Eventually someone will try the mask. Too iconic and has yet to be done. Its less far fetched then other **** in these films. All he needs is a reason to hide his identity in a plot and problem solved.

Last edited:
For something that's too iconic, the Ultimate comics didn't have a problem to ditch the mask entirely. Even later seasons of X-Men Evolution got rid of it. And even if they'd introduce the mask, it would probably only be for a short moment, like as you said, when he goes covert. But the moment he's part of the X-Men again, there's absolutely no reason anymore, for him to wear a mask. Unless everyone does.

I agree, with that. No need just cause hes on the X Men. The character has sold without it.

Its still around in a majority of the comics and media and Im pretty sure X Evolution and Ultimates ditched it because of his look in the film but I could be wrong. Believe the launch time for those were close to the film. Not saying it defines everything about him and is needed, but it has been a strong visual part of the character and remained. I think it will be used in future films when they find a chance to use it. Just not for the sake of having it.

I don't see the big deal with Wolverine wearing the mask other than staying true to his costume in the comics.

He's not like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man who always have to wear their superhero costume. Look at X-Men Evolution, Ultimate Comics, videogames such as X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Wolverine is still Wolverine without the mask and the yellow spandex. For Wolverine's appearance, its mostly about the hair and the claws.

They could absolutely find a sensible way for him to have the mask for a sequence, it's not THAT far fetched. It's just a damn mask, people wear masks in real life too!

^ Seriously!

And all the old school Wolverine-heads out there would know that wolverine literally wore only his mask for many years.

Yes the mask isn't as integral to his look in modern day (because of the X-Men movies!), like a batman or spider-man

But he literally had no other face for YEARS!
They should really acknowledge and at least pay homage to his mask.
It's his look, just like any other comic character.
If you say he shouldn't have it, I say you don't like Wolverine.

And as for the "other x-men don't have masks" argument, well, easy answer:
They're not in the damn movie.
They don't matter.

There's another reason why the mask wouldn't make sense. He's got a unique set of abilities. How many people are running around with claws popping out of between their knuckles? If the mask is needed to conceal his identity, he can only use his claws while in costume. Otherwise any moron can put two and two together.

And since he's in Japan, he'd probably run around like this, when he's trying to hide his identity.

I just figured he wore the mask as some kind of psychological thing. Memories hazy, kind of ****ed up in the head, etc.

I would vote for the yellow and BLACK mask, but that wasn't available as an option…

So far according to the poll, 72% would like some sort of mask, I believe with good writing and a good design it could work and be no more or less silly than Batman's

Batman's mask is really silly though, especially the Nolan ones.

it works because it is all black the easiest color to ground in realism it is why the x men wore all black leather suits

lets see how that yellow and brown mask works

I would love to see how it works, make it put the pic's online and let us the fan's decide how bad it is, don't give us a line of bull(talking about fox not you ) about how it doesn't work.

It wouldn't work, because it would look stupid as **** in any color. Plus four movies now, no mask, no real reason to do it now.

There's one way it'll work, if they follow the direction of Astonishing X-Men. When they had the team meeting and Scott wanted to change public perception of them. They saved the world several times, they are a team, they are superheroes and part of superheroes are the costumes. Being colorful, just like the Avengers and Fantastic Four, who don't get hunted through the streets. He even admits how all the black leather makes people nervous. They need to go out and do some regular superhero stuff, not just fighting crazy mutants, make people trust them. Now you have an excuse to give the most frightening member of the team, the most ridiculous outfit.

But that of course only works for another X-Men Movie. So until we get there again, I think Logan should be mask free in his movies.

Last edited:
It wouldn't work, because it would look stupid as **** in any color. Plus four movies now, no mask, no real reason to do it now.

^this we have had wolverine on screen for over a decade and in 5 movies so far this is gonna make it 6

and no mask why are people not over this yet

same people who still cant get over height of jackman i assume:oldrazz:

No, I'm fine with Jackman's height

I just don't get why some people seem to be taking such a hard line over this

like "no way, it's stupid, you're stupid, it could never look cool, you're ridiculous for even wanting it!"

There are ways to make it work, such as Nathan's scenario above

I don't care about the previous movies, or the fact that he didn't wear one in the other films.
It's also not going to stop me from seeing the movie if he doesn't have a mask.

I grew up looking at him as a total badass, regardless of the giant head fins or the blue and yellow.
I'm just a wolverine fan.
I wanna see his iconic look.
So sue me.

Last edited:
OK but, the X-Men operate in the movies as a covert team, which why the black leather (not to mention to offer some protection in fight). The blue and yellow flight suits worked in First Class, but I honestly can't see them working in a modern setting.

Again, taking cues from Astonishing X-Men, it could work. With the X-Men trying to change public perception of them, by being colorful and doing regular superhero stuff like the Avengers and Fantastic Four. And you could still have a covert team in form of X-Force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"