Won't Wonder Woman be hated for killing?

Luke234

Civilian
Reaction score
I know it's not as key a part of the comic batman code but if WW kills a single enemy soldier won't the movie be torn to shreds?
I think the trailers at least look awesome and I would hope she kills in a war but I'm just assuming there will be backlash. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of this. Is it ok for WW to slash and kill a human enemy soldier?

I think the reason Batman got ragged on for killing without much thought in BVS is because his no kill rule is usually a big theme in the mythos. It was a big theme in the previous DKT even if there where some iffy moments in their as well.

Superman tends to hold himself to higher standards due to his immense power when it comes to average human criminals/soldiers. He only goes all out for the kill on extreme villains like let's say Doomsday.

Wonder Woman Is usually portrayed as a warrior, not blood thirsty though. And one that tries to find peace. I do recall her in the DC comics universe getting backlash for killing Max Lord even though it was the only way to save Batman and Superman.

To answer the question I don't think it's been established in media that Wonder Woman has a no-kill rule.

I don't think Diana killing will be as big a deal as it was for Batman or Superman

Why? Being prepared to kill when necessary is what sets Wonder Woman apart from Superman and Batman who both (ordinarily) have a strict no-kill policy. It's been addressed a number of times in the comic books, but perhaps most significantly in the Maxwell Lord storyline (although that was pretty poorly handled).

As both Superman and Batman kill in the DC cinematic universe, then I fail to see why they would suddenly give Diana a no-kill policy, especially when she's from a nation of Amazon warriors and was shown to be prepared to kill Doomsday in DoJ. Not to mention the fact that, at least in the movies, Wonder Woman openly carries and wields a killing weapon (i.e. her sword/s) which is a sharp contrast to Superman (who carries no weapons) and Batman (who normally carries no particularly lethal weapons, even if his vehicles have weapons).

IF Diana happily slaughters human soldiers left and right in her solo movie, then I'm sure people will take issue. But, that's because Diana is skilled and powerful enough to disable humans without killing them. Of course, given that it is her first journey to man's world, there may be some leeway given that she would be uncertain of her own strength levels, the strength levels of ordinary humans and the capabilities of the many weapons used by human soldiers. If Diana is truly hunting down a god in disguise, then she may also show little restraint if she never knows whether she's fighting a human, a god or a human infused with special abilities by a god.

I understand that an argument could also be made that, in WW1, the soldiers on both sides were ... innocent isn't the right word, but neither side was as objectively "evil" as the Nazis in WW2. So, killing ANY soldiers in WW1 could be argued to be inappropriate given the reasons behind the war, the ignorance of the many soldiers who signed up as to the realities of war, etc. But, I'm not sure a superhero movie is really going to focus too much on those issues. I would expect some commentary about how WW1 is a waste of human life, etc.

Also, it bears repeating: a big part of the problem with Superman and Batman, vis a vis killing, wasn't just *that* they killed. It was how their lethality was handled, in terms of how it made them look careless ( Superman ) or psychopathic ( Batman ). If Superman hadn't smashed whole cities in collateral damage, and Batman hadn't maniacally gunned down mooks like they were helpless kittens, there would have been a lot fewer complaints.

So, if Diana uses deadly force in the appropriate context, nope, nobody is going to complain. An analogous failure would be if, say. . . she sought to end WWI by advocating the conquest and brutal suppression of Germany.

Wonder Woman is not going to kill soldiers lmao. especially in ww1.

War + soldiers = killing.

I get what you want to say, I'm sure she'll try to avoid killing them as much as possible, but I don't see how she could manage to do so all the time in this particular setting.

My own preference would be that part of the plot is "Diana recognizes that the average German soldier is no more an evil monster than the average British soldier, and uses restraint accordingly." This doesn't mean she won't ever kill any German soldiers, but that her use of force will be moderated by the tragic circumstances of war. This would both play into the themes of WWI and Wonder Woman, and also contrast with how she deals with agents of Ares ( who actually *are* evil monsters, whether human or not ).

Basically, I am afraid that the movie will use the Germans as Not!Nazis, which would be both a waste of the setting and more than a little nauseating.

I honestly would be surprised if WW kills anyone in this film other than Ares.

To answer the question I don't think it's been established in media that Wonder Woman has a no-kill rule.
I don't think Diana killing will be as big a deal as it was for Batman or Superman

This. Bruce has an extremely well -defined no kill policy in the comics. Yes, very, very occasionally he's broken it, but to deny that it's an intrinsic part of the character is ridiculous. It's as much a part of him as the cape and cowl. Clark is the Big Blue Boy Scout. The god who walks amongst men and tries to be the most human of us all. His compassion, kindness and grace make it a certainty that he tries to avoid killing whenever possible.

Diana is a ****ing headstrong Amazonian trained in the ways of war from an early age. Her background is drawn from Greek mythology, her 'look' is that a sword wielding warrior woman. Death is far more a part of who she is.

I'll be quite frankly disappointed if she doesn't slice and dice some ****ers at some point.

I remember in Trinity War, WW says to batman that the reason she doesn't have a large rogues gallery is because when she ends the threat, she ends it. I'm gonna assume WW has no qualms on killing if the threat is big enough.

Don't take the lawd's name in vain.

I hope not. It was stupid when people took issue with Batman killing heavily armed mercenaries that were trying to burn a woman alive, and itd be equally stupid if people took issue with WW killing enemy combatants.

I'm sure no one will care to be honest. If anything, it's par for the course with the DCEU.

...and any other CU...

No one will care if they're Nazis. It's not out of character like it is for Batman or Superman, there's a clear comic book precedent for it. She's a warrior before she becomes an ambassador of peace.

No. Why should she be?
She's in a literal war. In this context, I'd be baffled if she didn't.
It makes more sense for her to kill, than not.

I don't expect to see a blood thirsty Wonder Woman, but
I definitely expect to see a fatality here and there.

Why? Being prepared to kill when necessary is what sets Wonder Woman apart from Superman and Batman who both (ordinarily) have a strict no-kill policy. It's been addressed a number of times in the comic books, but perhaps most significantly in the Maxwell Lord storyline (although that was pretty poorly handled).

As both Superman and Batman kill in the DC cinematic universe, then I fail to see why they would suddenly give Diana a no-kill policy, especially when she's from a nation of Amazon warriors and was shown to be prepared to kill Doomsday in DoJ. Not to mention the fact that, at least in the movies, Wonder Woman openly carries and wields a killing weapon (i.e. her sword/s) which is a sharp contrast to Superman (who carries no weapons) and Batman (who normally carries no particularly lethal weapons, even if his vehicles have weapons).

IF Diana happily slaughters human soldiers left and right in her solo movie, then I'm sure people will take issue. But, that's because Diana is skilled and powerful enough to disable humans without killing them. Of course, given that it is her first journey to man's world, there may be some leeway given that she would be uncertain of her own strength levels, the strength levels of ordinary humans and the capabilities of the many weapons used by human soldiers. If Diana is truly hunting down a god in disguise, then she may also show little restraint if she never knows whether she's fighting a human, a god or a human infused with special abilities by a god.

Exactly this.

yup, most likey, cause why oh why should a WARRIOR ever kill....:o

On a serious note, if its done comically then I'm sure the critics will be fine with it, but if it's done with a serious tone and she actually shows remorse for it....then as they've shown in the past, the critics will rip it a new one......cause....#logic....lol

You all are forgetting there was a review that one of the negatives of Suicide Squad is that Deadshot used guns. C'mon. People will be mad she kills.

WW will of course be killing people in this film! She's already shown killing at least two guys in the trailer alone. I agree with what others have already said about the differences between Batman's, Superman's and WW's codes of conduct.

It's about context. She's a warrior in wartime, she's gonna be wrecking dudes. Look at what seems to be the most analogous film, Cap America TFA where Cap just gunned people down, chucked knives at their faces and threw enemies out of airplanes. Or when Stark burned men alive with a flamethrower, shot insurgents in the face and blew up manned tanks.

No one will complain because it won't be a situation where she's killing criminals on the streets of Gotham or Metropolis. Wonder Woman's the greatest warrior in the DC universe... so, yeah, she's gonna be killing some people

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"