Comics Worst ever Plot Twists?

J

Jubei.

Simple enough. What plot twist, from any X-Men comic series is met with disgust by you?

One that springs to my mind actually is one that retcons an already good plot twist. Xorn turned out to be Magneto all along (the good twist), yet the new writers revealed that it was really Xorn under the influence of Sublime, pretending to be Magneto. This way they could introduce Xorn's twin brother and therefore reinstate the character.

Anyway, I would love to hear some of your disapprovals.

Jean having a clone, who turned out to be just a insane Jean wannabe who turned out to be dead, alive, no wait...dead.

No wait, that's wrong again. Aw dammit. See horrible. Also Jean getting knocked up three times with kids all in AU's. DUMB!

Jean getting jealous over Scott being attracted to Emma...HELLOOOO she's done the same thing with Wolverine for 37 years. God was that dumb.

Storm randomly getting married to BP. VERY DUMB. Storm turning into a vampire...badly written.

Anystory line with Cassandra Nova...very very dumb. She has the dumbest orgin story ever.

Joseph turning out to not be a younger, kinder Magneto, but in essence a clone of Magneto...and Magneto being in hiding and then revealing himself as 'Eric the Red' in the Trial of Gambit storyline. Uhhh...wtf? Oh, and Joseph was always a lame character, from his introduction to his death.

Sorry...double post...

But I guess I'll add another lame plot-twist to the list.

When Wolverine has the adamantium ripped out of him from Magneto, after healing, he discovers he still has claws, except now they're bone claws. Riiiiiight. And while we're on the topoc of bones, what about Storm ripping Marrow's heart out, only to find out a few years later that she actually had two hearts. And while we're talking about having 'two' of something, what about when Nightcrawler had sex with those two women at the same time, but they each birthed the other woman's child - oh wait, that didn't happen, but why am I guessing that it eventually would have if Chuck Austen was still writing X-books?

Oh, and anything Milligan ever did was a horrible plot-twist. Then again, he probably didn't even have any plot-twists, because the book was that bad.

Goddessreicho said:
Jean having a clone, who turned out to be just a insane Jean wannabe who turned out to be dead, alive, no wait...dead.

No wait, that's wrong again. Aw dammit. See horrible. Also Jean getting knocked up three times with kids all in AU's. DUMB!

Jean getting jealous over Scott being attracted to Emma...HELLOOOO she's done the same thing with Wolverine for 37 years. God was that dumb.

Storm randomly getting married to BP. VERY DUMB. Storm turning into a vampire...badly written.

Anystory line with Cassandra Nova...very very dumb. She has the dumbest orgin story ever.

I love Cassandra Nova!

And I loved the Xorn twist and it was already implied he was under Sublime's influence since Sublime WAS Kick. But yeah, the whole twin/it wasn't Magneto thing was stupid.

The worst thing about the Xorn revelation, besides to total impractical-ness, is that when they brought the 'real' Xorn into the X-books, he disappeared into limbo after Austen left, and I can guarentee he no longer has his powers. Was his disappearance ever explained?

Jubei. said:
Simple enough. What plot twist, from any X-Men comic series is met with disgust by you?

One that springs to my mind actually is one that retcons an already good plot twist. Xorn turned out to be Magneto all along (the good twist), yet the new writers revealed that it was really Xorn under the influence of Sublime, pretending to be Magneto. This way they could introduce Xorn's twin brother and therefore reinstate the character.

Anyway, I would love to hear some of your disapprovals.

Yea that plot twist was just a blatent way for the writer to bring back Magneto. Silly..

Everything that retconned Planet X re: Magneto. Complete ridiculousness. Xorn's twin brother pretending to be Xorn, pretending to be Magneto, pretending to be Xorn. Bull. ****.

lol well I guess we're all in large agreement about this Planet X thing.

But for me...it never happened. The retcon, that is. I pretend that the real Xorn never came back...Jean's still dead...I didn't pick up Excalibur...and to me...Magneto was the real Magneto, and he really died. Just like Jean really died at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Wish I could do that, but it negates House of M for me. As for the Dark Phoenix Saga...as far as I'm concerned, that really was Jean, she really did die, and the Phoenix resurrected her at the bottom of the ocean for reasons known only to the Phoenix. And then Morrison came along and set everything right, and Endsong never ever happened, except the parts that reaffirmed that Jean = Phoenix once and for all.

Well, for me, the stupidest plot twists are as follows...

• Deadly Genesis - This whole miniseries was one crappy plot twist after another. Xavier's a jerk! Gasp! The third Summers Brother is not only some new guy completely out of left field, but an uberpowerful psychopath who was jettisoned into outer space along with Krakoa because Evil Xavier sent him first. Or second. Whatever. And then Banshee dies. I mean, ****, was Brubaker high on crack when he came up with this?
  • Angel's Healing Blood - another left field decision. The guy bleeds on people to regenerate them. Uhhhhh.... yyyyyeeeah. You know what? No.
  • Danger - You know, I'm in the camp that Joss Whedon is pretty good, but does not deserve the "walks on water" reputation he gets around here. And this storyline proved it. Not even ten years previous, this exact concept was done with Cerebro. The exact same damn thing. The computer was so inundated with Shi'Ar tech that it came to life and attacked the X-Men with a vengeance. It was kinda cool the first time, but the second time it became a blatant ripoff.
  • Holy War - See, I liked Kurt as a priest. It fit him well, and really gave him the position of being the most pious man in a profession that is known now for molesting boys, yet he looked like a demon. That's just brilliant, but somebody chickened out and turned his entire priesthood into a mass (no pun intended) hallucination. By X2: X-Men United's version of Mastermind. And that's where the stupidity comes in.

I might come up with more later.

I liked the idea of the third Summers brother, but not the whole "Professor X is EVIL!!!!" thing, which of course, was furthered in Dangerous.

The problem is that the Third Summers Brother was resolved back in the 1990s. Yet certain fanboys didn't believe it and insisted on Marvel giving us the "real" Summers Brother (they did already) so we get this crap.

The real Third Summers was Adam X. End of story.

But readers would confuse his codename with X-Treme! Because, you know, we're stupid. Which I guess is also how we avoided noticing that the adverts in this month's books outnumber the story pages.

Wow......16 posts before anyone mentions The Draco....I thought usagicassidy was gonna....

Anyway

Nihtcrawler actually being half demon.....
Iceman Becoming actual Ice
Angel Healing Blood.

Damn...I used to defend Austen.

Captain America being part of the Weapon Plus Program (Weapon I)

Pretty much everything written by Morrison and Austen. Xorn, Draco, Cassie Nova, etc.

Roughneck said:
Wow......16 posts before anyone mentions The Draco....I thought usagicassidy was gonna....

WOW! How did I forget? Talk about horrible! And I really liked the concept that Claremont set up all those years ago that Destiny was Nightcrawler's mother and Mytique was the father. But since Marvel could never publish a story like that...lets just give them THE DRACO and call it a deal!

X-Men 114-154 pick an issue, they're all bad mistakes.

New X-Men 20-current Another good example on how to ruin a perfect series

Speaking of the whole Xorn/Magneto deal, did any of you figure it out before he unveiled himself to be Magneto?

usagicassidy said:
WOW! How did I forget? Talk about horrible! And I really liked the concept that Claremont set up all those years ago that Destiny was Nightcrawler's mother and Mytique was the father. But since Marvel could never publish a story like that...lets just give them THE DRACO and call it a deal!

Actually, I'm quite certain that the whole Destiny mom/Mystique dad twist was planned for Rogue, not Nightcrawler.

Nope, that was for Crawler, not Rogue.

Besides, that, I agree with Deadly Genesis, but not even so much the 3rd Summers Brother but the completley stupid retcon of another team preceding the 2nd generation and dying. Really really stupid.

wolverine's killing his skrull self and ending up being the horseman death

that whole joseph thing, i kinda liked the idea he was the real magneto...I must have a softspot to clones in general...

Jubei. said:
Speaking of the whole Xorn/Magneto deal, did any of you figure it out before he unveiled himself to be Magneto?

I didn't figure it out until Morrison wanted me to. As soon as those doors slammed shut near the end of the issue, I knew exactly what had happened. Then on the next page Logan confirms it for us. Best moment in comics in a loooong time.

sebita said:
X-Men 114-154 pick an issue, they're all bad mistakes.

New X-Men 20-current Another good example on how to ruin a perfect series

Not sure I could call whole arcs 'bad plot twists.' Anything specific?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"