Would it have been better if .......

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by Rock Sexton, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Rock Sexton Registered

They took the sequence with Rogers awakening and had it play out in the beginning of the film, after the ship is excavated? I could see that working, where after he says "I had a date" then start the 1940's sequence from there. The film could then end with the little kids paying homage to Cap with their garbage can lid shields.

#1 Rock Sexton, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. DoubleM Registered

Yeah it could have worked that way to.:yay:

3. Verbal21 Registered

It would've worked for all of us who know the story, but I still think it could be seen as a "twist" to little kids and new people who know nothing about Cap so I actually don't mind it

4. SuperSoldier985 That's Funny

That would've really screwed up a lot of the narrative in the movie.

It was fine where it was..

5. Rock Sexton Registered

How do you figure?

6. bullets bang bang

I liked it being placed at the end because at that point your wrapped up with character and there's more of an impact to seeing him wake up present day.

7. piccolo Doom is watching you

I was a little confused at first, but afterward when I realized exactly what was going on (that he woke up in modern day), I thought it was a good move. Cap's last line "I had a date", was a GREAT ending line to the film and really hit you (at least me).

Plus, this way they don't have to deal with him getting revived and everything in the Avengers, and they can just go straight into the film.

I think if they put that scene with the "i had a date" line at the beginning, it kind of spoils some of the film for everyone. Thought it had more impact after he went down and Peggy got his file.

8. DrCosmic Professor of Power

It would have been cool in a different way, but I'm not sure it would have been better.

9. S.A.A.D. Registered

I really don't think that it would have been better or worse. It would have been a matter of "It's just there", imo.

10. weezerspider Registered

No....Just No.... The "I had a date" is the best ending for a Marvel film.

11. WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I see what your saying and I think it could have worked that way too.

I just think the "awakening" scene should have been the after credit scene.

They should have had the Avengers teaser after that but separate from the scene itself.

12. chaseter Esteemed Member

This is probably the best idea I have heard on here. That would have been fantastic!

13. Marvin Registered

That's interesting, would kinda ruin the emotion of the scene in question but it would be a cool angle.

14. Dr. Sid Jawtug Registered

The movie was a half hour longer and allowed time to show Cap leading the Commandos into battle. Maybe a deep convo between Steve and Bucky, leading to the train mission. Which may have added some depth to the "death" of Bucky. Other than that it was an amazing origin movie. I would have also had the plane crash into the ocean to better explain why Howard couldn't find Steve.

15. ciscostudent561 Registered

Thought the same exact thing

I felt as a whole this movie could be soo much better of they did that

16. RedSkull Lord of the Movie Masters

works better as it is now.

17. roach I am the night

would have liked to have seen a training sequence or at least a scene where the government figures out Rogers capabilities

18. Hurm... Registered

Some of the GA did not expect Cap to wake up at the end of the film (At least the people who I went to the theater with), and the scene wouldn't have as much power behind it if it was at the beginning of the film. The ending was a surprise for some, and I think it worked.

Structurally, your idea is more interesting than what they went with.

But, from a suspense and character point of view, there is much more impact with what they went with.

#18 Hurm..., Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  19. Rock Sexton Registered

Obviously it would not have the emotional weight as when it's presented in the end ..... yet I've seen complaints about the arrangement of a Joss Whedon filmed scene coming right on the heels of what was supposed to be the ending that JJ filmed.

Instead it would be more foreshadowing and then the audience gets to see what he was referring to in the beginning.

20. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

It would have been better if he showed more heart and emotion and not just "I had a date".

21. jab1118 Registered

I think it was better as is. I thhink that final scene doesnt work as well for us and people very familiar with Cap cause we expected it to end that way and knew he had to come to modern day. I was thinking the other day that if i diddnt know ge was waking up the preseny while watching him bust out of the fake apartment that would have been some freaky twilight zone ****

22. weezerspider Registered

He's in schock. In shock you can't think straight. Simply stating the first thing that comes to his mind, which would probably be his love Peggy, is the most realistic thing they could have done. It works perfectly.

23. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

Agree with this 100%
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd very much like to see Steve's struggle with loss and feeling of isolation, covered in Avengers and/or the next Captain America film. I feel it would be a major disservice to the character if they do not.

24. TomPiltoff you are all diseased

Sure.

'You've been asleep for nearly 70 years, Cap.'

'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

25. Rock Sexton Registered

The problem I found is that they left dialogue from that scene on the cutting room floor.