Superman Returns Would Reeve's Superman do what Routh's version did in SR?

X-Maniac

High Evolutionary
Reaction score
A friend of mine just saw SR at the weekend. He said that the Christopher Reeve Superman in Donner's movies would not behave as the Routh version did in SR and that's what he found 'out of character.' He couldn't imagine Superman sneaking off to Krypton or sneaking away from the hospital room at the end - to him it didn't feel right at all.

Hpow about re-gaining powers and then taking revenge on a simple human like in the end of Superman 2? Did that 'felt' in character for your pal?

El Payaso said:
Hpow about re-gaining powers and then taking revenge on a simple human like in the end of Superman 2? Did that 'felt' in character for your pal?

Your comparing Superman teaching a bully a lesson to him leaving the earth for 5 years and selfishly leaving the people that he was sent to help and protect. Real good Einstein.

Whoa, you got that right, bucko. Keep up the good work.

I'm not going to go back and forth asking him stuff. He visited, he watched SR, we chatted and he made his comments, he left, that was it. He liked it, but commented on how Superman behaved differently from the Reeve version. The Reeve version is his only reference point, he doesn't know the comics or cartoons so far as I know. He just felt Reeve's version was much more 'proud' and upstanding. It was just the two parts i mentioned where it seemed to be an issue, especially the sneaking off from the hospital room without any note or announcement or thanks to those who saved his life - you can see his point, Reeve's version would have appeared before the crowd and got a cheer as he flew off.

I'm sure he'll send them a card for Christmas. But he surely didn't want to cause a fuzz about him and prefered to visit his son as soon as possible.

What about when Reeve's Superman told Jor-El he'd rather shag Lois than serve humanity?

What about when Routh's Superman stood proud with a cocky grin when he saved the shuttle.

^ Obviousness is no problem for people.

X-Maniac said:
I'm not going to go back and forth asking him stuff. He visited, he watched SR, we chatted and he made his comments, he left, that was it. He liked it, but commented on how Superman behaved differently from the Reeve version. The Reeve version is his only reference point, he doesn't know the comics or cartoons so far as I know. He just felt Reeve's version was much more 'proud' and upstanding. It was just the two parts i mentioned where it seemed to be an issue, especially the sneaking off from the hospital room without any note or announcement or thanks to those who saved his life - you can see his point, Reeve's version would have appeared before the crowd and got a cheer as he flew off.

Typical X-Maniac. You put forth a assertion that is being discussed in SEVEN OTHER THREADS just because one of your friends said something and then backpeddle when someone calls you out.

Good God...:whatever:

Reeve's Superman violated his father's express will to turn back time and save Lois Lane simply to save Lois Lane and by the logic of time travel everyone who Superman was saving the first time around while Lois is dying is now dead...

Reeve's Superman gave up his powers WITHOUT LITTLE THOUGHT so he could have Lois Lane and then takes revenge on a little human at the end of the movie...

Donner's Superman II cut shows Superman doing the same exact thing, this after he attempts to make Lois feel awful about suspecting he's Superman, and then TURNS BACK TIME AGAIN only to erase Lois's memory, and then goes back and beats up on the guy who had not beat him up since he had turned back time...

Yeah, Reeve's Superman was real "up-standing" and "tall"

These threads are just piles of ****. They ask the same tired old questions all over again and get the same tired old retorts back.

X-Maniac, do us a favor and take this to one of theo ther threads or just promise that every single time one of your friends call you that we don't have to get a thread about what they thought about Superman Returns, or anything else for that matter....that's even if your "friend" ever said this.

It's odd, you say you can't speak for his argument and yet you add a corollorary to his argument at the very end about how Superman didn't say bye at the hospital. ****ing ridiculous...what you guys expect. Thousands of people jammed tightly outside a hospital and Superman's going to go out and..."wave?" And the crowd is going to go into a riot...yeah, I'd say he made the right choice by NOT inciting celebrity pandemonium.

I suppose Superman was a jerk because he also didn't send everyone "Thank You" cards who waited outside his hospital room? Or that he didn't send everyone Christmas cards?

To me its not an issue of whether he acted like Chris Reeve's Superman (he didn't) but did he act as Superman. At times he did but at times he did very un-Supermanish things (as did Reeve's).

Dan Jurgens (can't find the article but its on The Superman Homepage site somewhere!) gave a review that outlined why he felt this was not a Superman movie based on the inconsistancies he felt existed in how the character acted and to a degree he was right. Supes would not have just left, he wouldn't have "creeped" ( as my newphew calls it) by using his powers to spy on Lois etc.). I agree he probably would have left the hospital unannounced but would have communicated his condition very quickly in some manner (and there's nothing to say he didn't do this in the movie - Singer just didn't show it - like many other things!). And I disagree with people when they say he was a dead beat dad- he didn't know - if he did any interuprution of Superman I am sure would have done the right thing - whatever that is!

I just wacthed the movie for the 8th or 9th time and actually enjoyed more than I have in most viewings. I was explaining the character inconsistancies to my newphew and it almost served as therapy for me in allowing me to accept the movie a bit better. After all despite the flaws there are some great scennes from both an action perspective (i.e. plane) to softer touching times (i.e. with Ma).

X-Maniac said:
A friend of mine just saw SR at the weekend. He said that the Christopher Reeve Superman in Donner's movies would not behave as the Routh version did in SR and that's what he found 'out of character.' He couldn't imagine Superman sneaking off to Krypton or sneaking away from the hospital room at the end - to him it didn't feel right at all.

As shown by others Reeve's Superman acted selfishly just as much as Routh's did, so i dont know how people can complain, anyway, IMO, anything Superman did in SR was totally understandable given the situation/s.

Rob-el said:
To me its not an issue of whether he acted like Chris Reeve's Superman (he didn't) but did he act as Superman. At times he did but at times he did very un-Supermanish things (as did Reeve's).

That being the core point.

El Payaso said:

I don't think Superman would do this as depicted but Donner at least filmed a scene to try and rationalize it. Not sure if you saw the deleted scenes on the Donner cut of Superman 2 but he runs into another bully and afterwards thinks about the guy he ran into and that's when he decides to teach the bully a lesson. I got the feeling its not revenge as much as teaching a lesson so others would not have to endure his behavoir. But as I said I don't think Superman would have done his lesson teaching quite so forecfully!

Sorry, im just kinda thrown by the fact that X-maniac has friends.

Anyway i think they both behaved more or less the same way. If Reeve's Superman thought that his home planet he was told was destroyed was still there, he would definetly want to travel to meet his own kind in "person" and discover more things about his homeworld. The sneaking from the hospital wasnt out of character, just not the way Reeve's version would have behaved. So you have your gold star for that

X-Maniac said:
Your friend is very wise, and I agree with him.

well, imo, there is a BIG difference in the Donner Superman's selfishness and the SR's Superman.

In the Donner movies, yes, Supes did act selfishly. HOWEVER, his selfishness was done primarily FOR Lois. In S1, Supes defies his father's order and turns back time........to SAVE Lois. In S2, Supes gives up his powers and responsibilities to be WITH Lois. IOW, he acted selfishly, but it was done to save / be with the woman he loves.

In SR, Supes acts selfishly......but primarily for HIS own interest. He went on a 5+ year mission, forsaking his duties ( as told by Jor-El ), to see, FOR HIMSELF, if Krypton was still there. He also didn't tell Lois, because he was afraid that he would be unable to leave if he saw her. That is, he didn't tell Lois to protect HIS feelings.

IOW, SR's Supes did selfish things primarily for HIS OWN INTEREST or BENEFIT. OTOH, Donner's Supes did selfish things, too, but primarily to SAVE / BE WITH Lois, the woman he loves......

super-bats said:
well, imo, there is a BIG difference in the Donner Superman's selfishness and the SR's Superman.

In the Donner movies, yes, Supes did act selfishly. HOWEVER, his selfishness was done primarily FOR Lois. In S1, Supes defies his father's order and turns back time........to SAVE Lois. In S2, Supes gives up his powers and responsibilities to be WITH Lois. IOW, he acted selfishly, but it was done to save / be with the woman he loves.

In SR, Supes acts selfishly......but primarily for HIS own interest. He went on a 5+ year mission, forsaking his duties ( as told by Jor-El ), to see, FOR HIMSELF, if Krypton was still there. He also didn't tell Lois, because he was afraid that he would be unable to leave if he saw her. That is, he didn't tell Lois to protect HIS feelings.

IOW, SR's Supes did selfish things primarily for HIS OWN INTEREST or BENEFIT. OTOH, Donner's Supes did selfish things, too, but primarily to SAVE / BE WITH Lois, the woman he loves......

So going back to Krypton to see if it was still there OR if there were survivors he could help is selfish? Boy, thats a joke :whatever:

well, the problem there is.......the movie NEVER made clear Supes was going to look for survivors.

It may have IMPLIED that....but SR never really gave off the feeling that Supes' mission was a SEARCH AND RESCUE mission as well.

Besides, what would Supes do IF he had found survivors? His ship seemed too small to also carry back survivors.

And, yes, ABANDONING your duties and responsibilities to protect Earth for a 5+ year mission is just as selfish as abandoning your duties and powers to be with the woman you love, as per S2.

Also, especially in Donner's cut, the whole lesson of S2 was that Supes COULD NOT abandon his responsibilities for his selfish desires. That's what Supes learned the hard way......

super-bats said:
well, the problem there is.......the movie NEVER made clear Supes was going to look for survivors.

It may have IMPLIED that....but SR never really gave off the feeling that Supes' mission was a SEARCH AND RESCUE mission as well.

Besides, what would Supes do IF he had found survivors? His ship seemed too small to also carry back survivors.

And, yes, ABANDONING your duties and responsibilities to protect Earth for a 5+ year mission is just as selfish as abandoning your duties and powers to be with the woman you love, as per S2.

Also, especially in Donner's cut, the whole lesson of S2 was that Supes COULD NOT abandon his responsibilities for his selfish desires. That's what Supes learned the hard way......

Its clear to me he went back to see if Krypton was still there, if it was there would be thousands on the planet at risk from Kryptonite, of course he went back to look for survivors so he could bring them back to earth were they would be safe. Hell for all Superman knew, his mother and father were still alive, wouldnt you abandon everything to truly find out if your parents were dead or alive? I know i would. And Supes' ship looked easily big enough to carry others.

One aspect i think we'll agree on though, is that Singer should have left the Return to Krypton scene in to make this clear to the GA who wouldnt know any better.

yes, Singer should've included the actual Return to Krypton sequence. He should have also included the Newspaper Headline intro. That DID include the "Possible Signs of Life" headline, and, imo, that would have brought the audience up-to-speed much better than what they gave us.

Singer should have also left in the Cellar scene, where Clark is speed reading through all the old newspapers.....and learning all the tragedies and chaos that have happened while he was away.

Singer should have also left in the plot-point of Lex and Standford being responsible for concocting the Krypton story........

And, yes, your point about Supes' parents being among the survivors is a good point, one that I never thought of.

But, again, the problem is that the movie didn't explain that. Mention of Supes searching for survivors and, more importanly, his own parents, SHOULD HAVE been included in the movie.

Just imagine if something like that had been included in the rooftop scene with Supes and Lois. When Supes explains his action to Lois, he could have said something like this:

Superman: "When I heard they had discovered Krypton's remains......I had to see if there were survivors......if there were others like me........to see if my birth parents were still alive........"

Then, we could have a flashback scene where Supes is exploring Krypton's remains.......coming across the HOUSE OF EL ( bearing his family's S Symbol/Crest )....searching the premise with hope his parents are still alive....but then coming to the grave/sad realization that there are no survivors.......he is truly the last of his kind.....

Then, we cut back to the rooftop scene:

Lois: "So, what did you find?"

Superman: "My parents......the place......was a graveyard......I'm all that is left.....I'm very sorry Lois.......I never meant to hurt you....."

IMO, this would've made the scene EVEN MORE POWERFUL. If acted and played out right, this would have been a great scene to show that Superman has realized what a tragic risk/mistake he had made.......

He knew that leaving Earth to look for Krypton was a big risk, but he took it with hope that he may be able to see his people....his real parents......touch them in flesh and blood ( as opposed to holographic images ). However, NOT ONLY were his hopes totally destroyed.....but his trip ALSO hurt the ONE person he cared most for on Earth.........Lois.

Direct mention of Survivors/Signs of Life ( especially Supes' birth parents ) also would have given Superman's abrupt departure more urgency and meaning.

But, sadly, we didn't get a scene quite like this.......sigh.

super-bats said:

Umm...are you serious?

Superman loves Lois and gives up his powers so HE can be with HER, not SHE with HIM. Superman turns back time so HE can have LOIS back. Superman does these things to GET WHAT HE WANTS (i.e. selfishness). What I think you're doing is skipping over the variable of "love" and how we justify things by love.

Now, to me, being adopted, I'd give up quite a bit to find out who my real parents are and where I come from and if I say have a brother or sister. I'd want to know that sometimes more than I would want someone to love.

So him going back is really on the same par as Reeve's and JUST as understandable, if not more so since understanding where we come from is CORE to who we are and how we define ourselves. You're just trying to concoct an argument without acknowleding the other variables and failing horribly at it and should probably just stop now before you continue to make more people look at your posts and put this emoticon...:whatever:

super-bats said:

I think Superman learned a bit harder in SR2. Zod arriving and taking over Earth wasn't really a result of his giving up his powers. He got them back fairly quickly and then stopped them.

But I'm glad you can agree that a legit dramatic premise for Superman is him learning that he can't forsake his birthright. So, let's look at Superman Returns.

As a direct result of Superman leaving, Lois moves on and finds another man, he loses 5 years of his child's life, Lex Luthor gets out of jail, Lex Luthor manages to penetrate the Fortress and steal technology that recreates his dead homeworld on the planet and nearly threatens to destroy the world....

Hmmm....which was a harder lesson? Three supervillians coming down, blowing stuff up, and then being easily dispatched in the Fortress. Or the love of your life moving on without you, missing your child's life, your mortal enemy getting out of punishment and using your own birthright to threaten the only home you have left, and then nearly dying while tryin to make right what happened while you were gone....?

I'll have to go with the second one. And again, don't say "see that's how selfish Superman is" because you've already acknowledge that Superman learnign that the world needs him is a legit Superman story arch, as this film did explore as well as the idea of whether or not he is alone.

super-bats said:
yes, Singer should've included the actual Return to Krypton sequence. He should have also included the Newspaper Headline intro. That DID include the "Possible Signs of Life" headline, and, imo, that would have brought the audience up-to-speed much better than what they gave us.

Singer should have also left in the Cellar scene, where Clark is speed reading through all the old newspapers.....and learning all the tragedies and chaos that have happened while he was away.

Singer should have also left in the plot-point of Lex and Standford being responsible for concocting the Krypton story........

And, yes, your point about Supes' parents being among the survivors is a good point, one that I never thought of.

But, again, the problem is that the movie didn't explain that. Mention of Supes searching for survivors and, more importanly, his own parents, SHOULD HAVE been included in the movie.

Just imagine if something like that had been included in the rooftop scene with Supes and Lois. When Supes explains his action to Lois, he could have said something like this:

Superman: "When I heard they had discovered Krypton's remains......I had to see if there were survivors......if there were others like me........to see if my birth parents were still alive........"

Then, we could have a flashback scene where Supes is exploring Krypton's remains.......coming across the HOUSE OF EL ( bearing his family's S Symbol/Crest )....searching the premise with hope his parents are still alive....but then coming to the grave/sad realization that there are no survivors.......he is truly the last of his kind.....

Then, we cut back to the rooftop scene:

Lois: "So, what did you find?"

Superman: "My parents......the place......was a graveyard......I'm all that is left.....I'm very sorry Lois.......I never meant to hurt you....."

IMO, this would've made the scene EVEN MORE POWERFUL. If acted and played out right, this would have been a great scene to show that Superman has realized what a tragic risk/mistake he had made.......

He knew that leaving Earth to look for Krypton was a big risk, but he took it with hope that he may be able to see his people....his real parents......touch them in flesh and blood ( as opposed to holographic images ). However, NOT ONLY were his hopes totally destroyed.....but his trip ALSO hurt the ONE person he cared most for on Earth.........Lois.

Direct mention of Survivors/Signs of Life ( especially Supes' birth parents ) also would have given Superman's abrupt departure more urgency and meaning.

But, sadly, we didn't get a scene quite like this.......sigh.

I'll concede that I found it odd that Superman didn't drop more on Lois in the rooftop scene and I agree that something like your dialogue -- not exactly like it -- would have worked and been a bit more dramatic.

However, then Superman would've been playign the "pity card" to most people. I could see that happenign.

About there being no mention of surviors -- I don't think that's neccessarily true. While I for one am annoyed with the entire 1st Act of Superman Returns, I found that there was sufficent explaination of it all. They ket to a movie is to feel natural, the interactions between characters that is. With mothers and sons or fathers and sons, etc. this is especially hard since we all tend to have a sort of way of speaking without saying much with our parents.

I thought the conversation with Martha really outlined why he went, what happened when he did, and what was his emotional journey. She asks him quite blatantly, "did you find what you were looking for?" He responds, "That place was a graveyard. I'm all tha's left." "Well, even if your the last, it doesn't mean you're alone..."to which Clark gives the typical son response where he says, "I know" but really doesn't believe it but will say it because it's his mom.

Now, Singer is known for suggesting rather then explicity showing things and I think the above is a great example of his tendency towards organic styles of communication. For Martha to say "Did you find any survivors?" would minmalize what she's asking..."Did you find what you were looking for?" automatically prompts surviovors, etc. but it also alludes to a larger searcher, a bit more personal and spiritual. "Did you find closure?" "Did you find them?" "Did you find the understanding to know and accept who you are?" are all asked by taht question and I think quite intentionally show. If one has any doubts that he left to look for survivors, his response seals it, "That place was a graveyard. I'm all that's left." Okay, so we have specific references to people, to death of people, and to him being the only survivor. This all sets up that he went back to look for survivors, but the way Martha asked the question, and the pessismism with which Clark chooses his words to answer her (i.e. graveyard), suggests a larger drama and loss here than just there being no survivors. Lastly, if someone still isn't on the boat here, Martha's response again drives home the point, "Well, even if you are the last, it doesn't mean you're alone." Again, references to him being the only survivor, referecning him being alone, etc.

To me, this scene pretty clearly spelt out what the dramatic premise of the film was both in the past Krypton sequence and in the coming movie.

I don't know. It just seems that people are lazy with movies these days. but i didn't have to do much thinking to get that out of the above. It's jus there....people just need to listen more while they are watching.

well.....bosef.......I agree with you that all of the problems they dumped on Supes in SR would make for a very hard lesson, especially on a personal lesson.

I just feel that Donner portrayed Supes learning a lesson the hard way MORE EFFECTIVELY than SR.

In SR, I never really got the sense that Supes learned the full gravity/error of his actions. Now, perhaps it was more subtle, but I would have liked it better if there was a scene where Supes basically realizes: "D**n! I really f****d up"

Again, I can certainly understand the themes that Singer was going for. I just felt it wasn't conveyed as effectively as it could have been on screen......

Also, I think mention of Supes searching for his birth parents would have been more powerful, as it would give a deeper connection and meaning for his trip......

super-bats said:
I just feel that Donner portrayed Supes learning a lesson the hard way MORE EFFECTIVELY than SR.

Maybe. As for the title of the thread, yes he would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"