Would the New Avengers let Spidey be a member if they didn't know his identity?

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by kainedamo, Feb 27, 2008.

?

Would the New Avengers let Spidey be a member if they didn't know his identity?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kainedamo Registered

Consider Civil War, nevermind this recevent Skrull crisis. And then when you do factor in the Skrull crisis, the New Avengers trusting Spidey when they don't know who he is doesn't make much if any sense.

2. Harlekin Business

They might as well, considering they can't trust anyone as it is.

3. Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    Spidey was an Avenger years ago and kept his identity secret.

4. Ikaris-Eternal Registered

his secret identity, even to other superheroes, was always part of Spider-Man's charm.

glad it's back.

5. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, when they had advanced equipment that could verify his identity without actually revealing it. Now they're a bunch of bums operating out of some apartment.

I agree with Harlekin, though. Nobody can be sure of anybody's identity now that the Skrulls have figured out a way to hide from everything from Wolverine's senses right up to Dr. Strange's magic. The Skrulls are absolutely impossible to detect, according to the way Bendis is writing this story. So mask or no mask, the New Avengers would still have no idea if Spider-Man--or Peter--is who he says he is.

6. LemonSunday Registered

Well, the thing to remember is that the New Avengers' current mission statement is about being against the registration. So for them to require members to identify themselves by their secret identities, it'd be a little hypocritical.

It's all moot anyhow, seeing as how they don't know his identity and he's still a member.

7. Anubis Sup?

They used to remember his identity, but now they don't.....magically.

8. kainedamo Registered

That was a very different time.

The issue isn't about letting people onto the team only if their identities being known being a hypocritical stance because of their stance during the Civil War either.

The issue is trust. And trust is especially significant because of the Civil War, nevermind the Skrull crisis. For all they know, Spidey is working undercover for Tony.

ALL the members of New Avengers either have known each other for years or have another member that has known them to vouch for them.

Spidey is the ONLY member whose identity is secret. He is the ONLY member who not a single one of the team can vouch for.

And then throw into the mix the Skrull crisis. It makes no logical sense - every member of the team would put Spidey at the top of the list as most likely to be a Skrull.

Remember when Strange did a spell that showed everyones true self?

That memory as far as the characters are concerned as no bearing on Spidey. That spell strange did momentarily created some trust in the team - but how can they trust Spidey if they can't even remember his identity nevermind not being able to remember his true self being revealed?

They. Would. Not. Trust. Spidey.

Give me one single reason why they should trust him.

9. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Give me one why they shouldn't.

10. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Everyone could be a Skrull.

11. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

That's not a reason to specifically distrust Spider-Man though.

12. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

He smells bad.

13. Ahura Mazda Registered

Just one thing, where is the new avengers in the one more day timeline. And you are telling me that history was not change in so far as his membership where everything else was including his biological evolution?

14. LemonSunday Registered

Well, in the last issue of NA, Spider-Man was back to his red and blues and the others were refering to him as just "Spidey." They also went out of their way to provide him with a room with easy access to get in and out of their new apartment building, so it seems like his identity has been forgetten.

15. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, I guess his membership in the New Avengers is entirely the same except for the secret identity thing. Odd when you consider some of the major changes that resulted from OMD, but "it's magic."

16. Anubis Sup?

The only difference apparently is that now, he never registered, and therefore was always on the secret Avengers, which screws things up because he supposedly took off for a few months in ASM.

17. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Actually it's been stated that Spidey unmasking is still in place, just that nobody remembers who the hell he is.

Yet somehow he's an unregistered hero.

OMD created such a mess :(

18. LemonSunday Registered

Initially, I was under the impression that everything (the marriage, the unmasking, etc.) still happened, but that Mephisto just made everyone forget. Now, I'm reading conflicting things where one person at Marvel will talk about how these things were wiped out of existence, and another person will explain that the world just doesn't remember. It's such a cluster**** that I think Marvel would prefer to just not answer questions about it and hope it goes away, so to speak.

19. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Well, yeah. That's why everyone involved with BND is like, "NO!!! Ignore OMD, look over here at the sparkly, shiny, NEW Spider-Man!"

20. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Which gets really irritating btw.

21. LemonSunday Registered

The sad thing is, is that this "new" Spider-Man isn't even all that good.

22. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I've heard mixed reviews. TMOB swears it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, others claim it's better than JMS' run but not super-awesome, others claim it's still not that great. I can't help wondering how much of the reactions to BND are built on the aftertaste of OMD, too.

23. LemonSunday Registered

It's hard to look at BND with a straight face after OMD, but even in forcing myself to do it, I still prefer JMS' initial run. It was just...better. Pete was still an everyman, but he wasn't a total loser like he is in BND. JMS also had some really good ideas to progress the character and all BND has done is take those away and devolve Peter Parker.

24. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

That's the feeling I got from the initial issues. I haven't even bothered flipping through subsequent issues, though, so I can't talk about how it is now. I've heard that Gale's issues are better than Slott's.

25. LemonSunday Registered

Gale's issues haven't been publsihed yet. :confused: