Luke Cage is my new hero! (I don't know how to cover spoilers, so enter with warning)

Of course the black superhero starts mouthing off about slavery.
 
SouLeSS said:
Of course the black superhero starts mouthing off about slavery.

Sweet Christmas!

And of course a Jewish one will start mouthing off about the Nazis.
 
Eros said:
Here my question, as a black man i am wondering what does luke Cage know about slavery? I thought Cage was useing more cliche token black guy lines, thiers not blackman alive [espically not me] that knows anything of slavery. Comparing the two events was obviously written buy a white man who has only a vague idea of the black culture. When Luke cage has no rights, picks cotten all day, has to call another man his master, sleeps in barns, eats old food,is not be allowed to learn anything, forced to do another man [or woman] wishes, beaten for haveing opinions,shot for trying to run away,raped buy his master,dies of malnutrition,treated like nothing, and when all that happens in civil war Then Luke Cage can compare it to slavery.

Thank you.
 
Blackadder said:
Always liked Luke Cage, enjoyed him being on the New Avengers even though he's technically considered a c-lister, I think he added alot. There was one issue where he took the avengers to do "impact police work" or something like it in some of the really bad neighborhoods. It was really awesome seeing them try to do some good in other ways than just pounding the snot out of irredeamable bad guys.

That was stupid all they did was stand there for like 2 minutes, then they left to do something else.
 
LOL! I find it funny, you guys get all riled up about Luke Cage bringing up slavery, but dont actually listen to the point hes trying to make.
 
Not all slaves were treated that badly.

Luke Cage did go to jail for a crime he didn't commit. Was raised in the slums.

Slavery still affects the black population today. Luke Cage is one of the good ones who are fighting for the betterment of not just the black people, but all people. He's cleaning up his streets.

Racism is real no matter what decade you're in.

I complain about slavery and the KKK and all the other stupid %#$@ we've done to the black race, and I'm as white as can be.

So what if Luke Cage likens the SHRA to slavery. The government wants to make slaves of the super heroes. Hell the government has already made slaves of us all. Working our 9-5's so we can pay our taxes and go to war for whatever reason it is this week.
 
Darthphere said:
LOL! I find it funny, you guys get all riled up about Luke Cage bringing up slavery, but dont actually listen to the point hes trying to make.
exactly.
 
I have to go to work so I'm not gonna beable to respond but,

How does slavery still affect black people today?

Most of you guys are probably gonna call me a moron cause I dont see how it affects black people today, the only way I think it still affects black people is because they still bring it up like Luke Cage did in 22.
 
Purple Man said:
Not all slaves were treated that badly..


((((((((((((((((SHIVER)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Somehow if given the choice - No matter how "nice" I was treated, I wouldn't like belonging to a person or family to the point where they can do ANYTHING to me up to death,.. because they "own me".


Purple Man said:
Luke Cage did go to jail for a crime he didn't commit. Was raised in the slums.

Slavery still affects the black population today. Luke Cage is one of the good ones who are fighting for the betterment of not just the black people, but all people. He's cleaning up his streets.

Racism is real no matter what decade you're in.

I complain about slavery and the KKK and all the other stupid %#$@ we've done to the black race, and I'm as white as can be.

So what if Luke Cage likens the SHRA to slavery. The government wants to make slaves of the super heroes. Hell the government has already made slaves of us all. Working our 9-5's so we can pay our taxes and go to war for whatever reason it is this week.
All true to a point,... I think the prob here is the knee jerk to him using the "S" word.

Peace.
 
supermarvelman said:
I have to go to work so I'm not gonna beable to respond but,

How does slavery still affect black people today?

Most of you guys are probably gonna call me a moron cause I dont see how it affects black people today, the only way I think it still affects black people is because they still bring it up like Luke Cage did in 22.


The fact that blacks, and most other minorities are still looked upon as second class citizens for one.
 
Darthphere said:
LOL! I find it funny, you guys get all riled up about Luke Cage bringing up slavery, but dont actually listen to the point hes trying to make.

I'm not getting riled up about him bringing up slavery. I'm getting riled up that they would use something so obvious. :down
 
Varient said:
I'm laughing on the outside,.. Crying on the inside,... New Avengers # 22 is Sold out in a 60 mile RAdius of where I live in Southern California,.. Even the folk who hate it have been buying it,... Just like the silent bunch buying all the Storm related stuff off the shelf.

I'm proud to say I still avoid that crap. :up::o
 
supermarvelman said:
I have to go to work so I'm not gonna beable to respond but,

How does slavery still affect black people today?

Most of you guys are probably gonna call me a moron cause I dont see how it affects black people today, the only way I think it still affects black people is because they still bring it up like Luke Cage did in 22.

I'm not gonna call you a moron because at least you asked as opposed to making the dumbass comment like "Psh, slavery doesn't have anything to do with black people in 2006". I commend you for asking :up:
 
supermarvelman said:
I have to go to work so I'm not gonna beable to respond but,

How does slavery still affect black people today?

Most of you guys are probably gonna call me a moron cause I dont see how it affects black people today, the only way I think it still affects black people is because they still bring it up like Luke Cage did in 22.
I apologize in advance by admitting that I can't go there and remain rational long enough to remain civil on this subject,.. so I'll just say this.

The fact that Blacks didn't come here voluntarily,

That when others did come on here after blacks were freed they were bumped up to the head of the line ahead of blacks because the blacks were seen as former slaves,

that when EVERYONE Else was being accepted on merit,.. Blacks were still regulated to black only drinking fountains, bathrooms, resturants, hotels, sporting events, vehicles, Blacks were told that because of their prior slave status, (can't have the animals living with real people right - and slaves are animals rite?), the best they could have was "seperate but equal" which was a joke since equal translated to "what was left."

That when people can gasp in horror at the Jewish Holocaust,

Sigh in sorrow at the erradication of 75% of the NorthAmerican Indian population,

Drop their heads in shame, at the internment of Japanese American citizens during WW2,

They can crack jokes and minimalize over 400 years of people enslaving Black People.

The sad thing?

The jewish community has recieved Millions of dollars to rectify and help them come back from the holocaust.

The NA Indian Population upon proof of being a tribe under treaty are exempt from a large portion of US laws and allowed to operate independently of the US Government to where they are changing the wastelands they were dumped into via monies generated by Gambling.

The US Government has recomped those Japanese AND THEIR DESCENDANTS in Money and property that they lost in being dragged off into those camps.


As far as blacks are concerned - they were officially second-class citizens until the late 60's,.. little more than 40 years ago.

From the time of "freedom" up until then,.. Slavery is something they were supposed to just "get over" without anything to recomp or way to pick up and move on.

Today Blacks are VERY aware that even today they are treated differently because of their "start" in this country as slaves.

Okay,... I've reached my end of my somewhat rational thought,.. I'll stop now.

Peace.
 
Eros said:
Here my question, as a black man i am wondering what does luke Cage know about slavery? I thought Cage was useing more cliche token black guy lines, thiers not blackman alive [espically not me] that knows anything of slavery. Comparing the two events was obviously written buy a white man who has only a vague idea of the black culture. When Luke cage has no rights, picks cotten all day, has to call another man his master, sleeps in barns, eats old food,is not be allowed to learn anything, forced to do another man [or woman] wishes, beaten for haveing opinions,shot for trying to run away,raped buy his master,dies of malnutrition,treated like nothing, and when all that happens in civil war Then Luke Cage can compare it to slavery.


Dude you couldn't be more off base and do not know much about slavery yourself so try reading some on the subject before commenting.
Just being black does not make you an expert on this subject slavery is thousands of years old and plenty of white people have been slaves for those thousands of years maybe you should talk to a jewish person on the matter....

Cage's analogy of slavery compared to the SSHRA is pretty spot on and decent writing and your alluding to it being written by a white guy because if doesn't fit what YOU think slavery was like is pretty rude especially since you have very little idea what it was really like.:(
 
Varient said:
I apologize in advance by admitting that I can't go there and remain rational long enough to remain civil on this subject,.. so I'll just say this.

The fact that Blacks didn't come here voluntarily,

That when others did come on here after blacks were freed they were bumped up to the head of the line ahead of blacks because the blacks were seen as former slaves,

that when EVERYONE Else was being accepted on merit,.. Blacks were still regulated to black only drinking fountains, bathrooms, resturants, hotels, sporting events, vehicles, Blacks were told that because of their prior slave status, (can't have the animals living with real people right - and slaves are animals rite?), the best they could have was "seperate but equal" which was a joke since equal translated to "what was left."

That when people can gasp in horror at the Jewish Holocaust,

Sigh in sorrow at the erradication of 75% of the NorthAmerican Indian population,

Drop their heads in shame, at the internment of Japanese American citizens during WW2,

They can crack jokes and minimalize over 400 years of people enslaving Black People.

The sad thing?

The jewish community has recieved Millions of dollars to rectify and help them come back from the holocaust.

The NA Indian Population upon proof of being a tribe under treaty are exempt from a large portion of US laws and allowed to operate independently of the US Government to where they are changing the wastelands they were dumped into via monies generated by Gambling.

The US Government has recomped those Japanese AND THEIR DESCENDANTS in Money and property that they lost in being dragged off into those camps.


As far as blacks are concerned - they were officially second-class citizens until the late 60's,.. little more than 40 years ago.

From the time of "freedom" up until then,.. Slavery is something they were supposed to just "get over" without anything to recomp or way to pick up and move on.

Today Blacks are VERY aware that even today they are treated differently because of their "start" in this country as slaves.

Okay,... I've reached my end of my somewhat rational thought,.. I'll stop now.

Peace.

I am only commenting on one part of this which gets over looked alot.

The black slaves who were handed over to white slave traders were slaves already to yep you guessed it OTHER BLACK people.
Also no white slave traders foraged Africia looking for slaves they were traded yep you guessed it again by OTHER BLACK people.

Slavery existed thousands of years before America and its just sad how America takes the brunt for slavery considering it exsisted for thousands of years before it was ever created.

And for the record slavery sucks since its creation but its as old as prostutition people just seem to forget that and tend to think that just because Blacks were the last openly traded slaves they were the only ones that is not the case again see above ask a jewish person about it they were slaves alot longer than the blacks were.
There is still slavery in today's society just not openly anymore its a sucky world we live in.
 
NateGray said:
I am only commenting on one part of this which gets over looked alot.

The black slaves who were handed over to white slave traders were slaves already to yep you guessed it OTHER BLACK people.
Also no white slave traders foraged Africia looking for slaves they were traded yep you guessed it again by OTHER BLACK people.

Slavery existed thousands of years before America and its just sad how America takes the brunt for slavery considering it exsisted for thousands of years before it was ever created.

And for the record slavery sucks since its creation but its as old as prostutition people just seem to forget that and tend to think that just because Blacks were the last openly traded slaves they were the only ones that is not the case again see above ask a jewish person about it they were slaves alot longer than the blacks were.
There is still slavery in today's society just not openly anymore its a sucky world we live in.
Maintaining my calm with effort, (This is a touchy subject with me.) the thing overlooked by most who do the research you did to come up with blacks being slaves to blacks in africa is this:
1. In Africa,.. the majority of slaves were the result of the spoils of war or as a punishment to a concouered tribe.
2. In Africa among Black People,.. Slavery was not a generational or even a lifetime commitment - in average a "Slave" was absorbed into and intermarried within the concouring tribe on average within ten years.
3. In Africa a slave could own property, including a spot of land and get paid for part of what they produced.
4. In Africa it was unheard of for a slave to be beaten to death for anything short of murder.

I feel (Notice I don't have enough information to know for sure) that those blacks who sold slaves to the whites during that time period were not aware of what they were giving these people over for.

A good anology is to go over into an Asian country and sell your pet for profit believing that he/she will be taken care of unto old age,... where the reality is the dog or cat would be eaten.

The reason this stresses me a bit is it is documented that Slavery at that time in Africa wasn't forever - but was closer to a prison sentence for losing a conflict.

Slavery in America was for life,.. and your children and their children for 16 generations had to suffer it.

It was a heated debate that ended in no contest At the college I went to where someone tried your argument of "whats the big deal,.. the blacks sold themselves into slavery riff."

I'll just say there is a BIG difference between Slavery in Africa and Slavery in America in that time period,.. C'mon,.. read more history,.. why do you think those slaves revolted on those sugar plantations run by whites who were KILLING hundreds of Africans ? And that the immediate result was the doubling of the brutality on the blacks in the states to make sure it didn't happen to them?


okay,.. gotta stop again,...

Peace.
 
This may sound like a question with a painfully obvious answer but Varient, are you black? :O
 
Colossal Spoons said:
This may sound like a question with a painfully obvious answer but Varient, are you black? :O


Official Stupid Question thread, in the sig.
 
Colossal Spoons said:
This may sound like a question with a painfully obvious answer but Varient, are you black? :O
...............................................

Heh.

Where were you when someone had the nerve to cancel the Black Panther,.. then the crew when Priest was writing?

Yes I'm a Black geek-jock who works in Computer repair.

I didn't want to believe the hype while I was growing up,.. so I read an awfull lot about the black experience to try to figure out why it was so hard for me to have a job, not get arrested, and own expensive things,....

That why I will speak up when someone minimalizes the Black Panthers,..
They were a direct result of Whites cruising into black neighborhoods for entertainment,.. that being property damage, beating isolated blacks, and raping black females.

The one thing Whites didn't like during that time were "Blacks with Guns".

EVERY armed conflict that the BP got into until near the end was started by white LE or Federal organization BECAUSE they were armed.


Whoops,... Stop that,.. I'm trying to stay off of this part of my knowledge.

Peace.
 
supermarvelman said:
That was stupid all they did was stand there for like 2 minutes, then they left to do something else.

It wasn't stupid at all. They left abruptly because there was an emergency. They were trying to do some good in other ways than just smacking people around, which as much as I love a good fight in comics is a nice change every once in a while.
 
Purple Man said:
Luke Cage is one of the good ones

WTF!!!
you need to seriously think about what you typed and what it says you think about us...

NateGray said:
I am only commenting on one part of this which gets over looked alot.

The black slaves who were handed over to white slave traders were slaves already to yep you guessed it OTHER BLACK people.
Also no white slave traders foraged Africia looking for slaves they were traded yep you guessed it again by OTHER BLACK people.

Slavery existed thousands of years before America and its just sad how America takes the brunt for slavery considering it exsisted for thousands of years before it was ever created.

And for the record slavery sucks since its creation but its as old as prostutition people just seem to forget that and tend to think that just because Blacks were the last openly traded slaves they were the only ones that is not the case again see above ask a jewish person about it they were slaves alot longer than the blacks were.
There is still slavery in today's society just not openly anymore its a sucky world we live in.
in addition to Varient's points the FIRST slaves were traded by other blacks after the traders realized that the indigenous people had inferior weaponry they "went back to get the rest". Almost all other slaves were defeated peoples taken after a war (including the ones originaly traded by other blacks) No other country was founded on the principals of Liberty and Equality either. Amerika takes the brunt because it's founding practices were in direct opposition to its founding principals nobodies trying to take away from what happened to the Jews but they have a culture and a language AND a country we have... yeah I thought so I'm going to end with a Quote of mine from the race and comics thread on this board
T'Jai said:
The subject of race is such a sensitive one in The US due to the ramifications of slavery. It was largely confined to one group of the population (there actually were white slaves as well but it didn't become a wide spread practice) and the general feeling of "whites" at this time is that "blacks" were either subhuman or animals. With the length of time it went on ( late 1600's till late 1800's) this school of thought became almost universally accepted, and special provisions had to be made as late as the 1960's in order to "insure" that blacks were receiving "equal" treatment. because of the manner in which most African American families arrived in the US ( stripped of family, name, and culture) there has been a huge struggle for Identity in the Black community. In addition the general public is only given a very narrow section of our culture as an example (which is Hip Hop). In general Hip Hop does not provide a very positive image of black culture as it is a "microwave consumerist" culture with a focus on immediate gratification and doing "whatever it takes" to get the things that will bring prestige, and thereby Identity. The "hustle" is a great tool for gaining control of ones circumstances, but the celebration of new "freedom" usually creates more circumstances where one needs to "hustle" the funds are rarely put towards long term investments such as property or legal businesses. African Americans (especially males) have few places to to find positive male leads as almost every prominent Black Male in America is a celebrity and few of those (frequently in the news) are role models. It is a general opinion that blacks are "not capable enough" to handle and interact in a responsible manner. (the number of young black males in the penal system is actually on a steady increase, as is the number of single mothers of black children) Many black families live in the inner cities or in a ghetto and it’s difficult to get a good education or even finish the excuse for education that is provided. For these reasons it becomes vitally important that we find a way to introduce positive examples of Black Males to the youths. Most of the hero’s we see do not have our faces and thereby do not give us a sense of potential that we can aspire to…

 
Varient said:
...............................................

Heh.

Where were you when someone had the nerve to cancel the Black Panther,.. then the crew when Priest was writing?

Yes I'm a Black geek-jock who works in Computer repair.

I didn't want to believe the hype while I was growing up,.. so I read an awfull lot about the black experience to try to figure out why it was so hard for me to have a job, not get arrested, and own expensive things,....

That why I will speak up when someone minimalizes the Black Panthers,..
They were a direct result of Whites cruising into black neighborhoods for entertainment,.. that being property damage, beating isolated blacks, and raping black females.

The one thing Whites didn't like during that time were "Blacks with Guns".

EVERY armed conflict that the BP got into until near the end was started by white LE or Federal organization BECAUSE they were armed.


Whoops,... Stop that,.. I'm trying to stay off of this part of my knowledge.

Peace.

Ha, that's cool. I couldn't tell if you were black or a white guy who was "down for the cause". It's hard to read people around here. :up:

Darthphere said:
Official Stupid Question thread, in the sig.

I believe this is where we fight. Dukes up, NOW :mad:
 
hmph,... a day later,.. no bloodshed.
:confused:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"