• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The New Avengers (Spiderman)

Shazam

Sidekick
Reaction score
I just read issue 19 of The New Avengers. This new Osborn storyline has me locked in.

But I am puzzled by something that has been nagging me about Spiderman in this book lately. Now I'll say right now that I stopped reading Spidey after they screwed over Gwen Stacy with that Green Goblin sex thing. So it's been a while. But there are some things I still know about his powers.

A major issue is his Spider Sense. This group of Avengers seem to get ambushed a little too much, for my taste.

This brings me to Victoria Hand. This mysterious liaison "appointed" by Cap. Why isn't Peter's Spider Sense tingling, if she is indeed up to no good?? I distinctly remember in the Lee/ Ditko/Romita days, that it would alert him not only of an attack, but also of someone even doing fishy stuff. Remember Foswell........Pete would have the classic half-spidey face with the radiating tingling marks??

Or like this scene....:spidey:

Amazing_Spider-man_6_-_Spider-sense.JPG

It seems as if "Daredevil" picked up on either her heart beat and pulse or heard her cell phone call. But Pete is going on nothing except that he doesn't like her past.

Did Pete lose his spider Sense some where in the time I stopped reading or is this just poor writing?

Last edited:
He did lose it, but it's back. I'm sure this story takes place sometime when it was gone. Also, I'm sure the loss of it gave writers some wiggle room in how much warning it gives him.

I think they're doing the same thing with Wolverine after the latest issue of The Best There Is. He still has regenerative healing... but it's unpredictable! I honestly didn't know that book was even in continuity.

It's Bendis' writing... he has no respect for the REAL Spider-Man because he thinks he's writing the fake one from the Ultimate universe...

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

:yay:

He did lose it, but it's back. I'm sure this story takes place sometime when it was gone. Also, I'm sure the loss of it gave writers some wiggle room in how much warning it gives him.

I think they're doing the same thing with Wolverine after the latest issue of The Best There Is. He still has regenerative healing... but it's unpredictable! I honestly didn't know that book was even in continuity.

If his Spider Sense is back, then why isn't it working on Victoria Hand? Daredevil obviously picked up on something. :daredevil:spidey:

Also...this is a recent story, just after "Fear Itself".

Not liking a "depowered" Spidey. He wasn't that powerful to begin with. Those little extras like his sixth sense gave him an edge.

According to Stan Lee, his reflexes coupled with his Spider sense helped him dodge bullets and other things. How is he doing that now?

Last edited:
I know it's already been said, but blame the writer. Now, every writer takes a little bit of creative license for the sake of storytelling, but Bendis has made Spider-Man out to be a joke.

I know it's already been said, but blame the writer. Now, every writer takes a little bit of creative license for the sake of storytelling, but Bendis has made Spider-Man out to be a joke.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with you there. It seems as if all the writers at Marvel have forgotten Pete's science skills. He's just the jokester now. It's tired.

But bring back the Spider Sense.

I know it's already been said, but blame the writer. Now, every writer takes a little bit of creative license for the sake of storytelling, but Bendis has made Spider-Man out to be a joke.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with you there. It seems as if all the writers at Marvel have forgotten Pete's science skills. He's just the jokester now. It's tired.

In ASM, the first thing Dan Slott did in Big Time was get him a job with Horizon Labs as an inventor. And the Spider-Sense came back at the end of Spider-Island.

Actually the Spider-Sense lacking thing is legit in Bendis' current run. Peter lost his Spider-Sense but regained it in Spider-Island. This Osborn story started prior to his regaining it so it's safe to assume he's still without it at the moment. It's fine.

Actually the Spider-Sense lacking thing is legit in Bendis' current run. Peter lost his Spider-Sense but regained it in Spider-Island. This Osborn story started prior to his regaining it so it's safe to assume he's still without it at the moment. It's fine.

This couldn't be prior. "Fear Itself" just ended. I think this is just the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

This what happens when one character is in too many books! He's got 500 spidey books, he's in New Avengers and FF?? :doh:

More the like the right hand doesn't give a s**t what the left is doing. He can't leave the franchise fast enough....

This couldn't be prior. "Fear Itself" just ended. I think this is just the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

This what happens when one character is in too many books! He's got 500 spidey books, he's in New Avengers and FF?? :doh:

What's Fear Itself have to do with it? Spider-Island is when it happened and that ended after the first issue or two of this New Avengers arc came out. I mean, it very well could be that Bendis just doesn't care but he's utilized his Spidey sense in other occassions. I don't know why he'd leave it out now other than the fact that he didn't have Spider-Sense when the plot was planned.

At the beginning of the first arc of the "Avengers" relaunch, Spidey was shown brainstorming with the other "brainy" characters (Stark and Noh-Varr), but that was as good as it got.

In this context, yes, absolutely. Have you read Zeb Wells's new "Avenging Spider-Man" title? It's basically a new "Marvel Team-Up", but focusing specifically on Spidey and other Avengers. So far, it seems to exist solely to show people a good picture of him working with the Avengers (the Red Hulk at the moment), and it's a lot of fun.

Spider-Island happened after fear itself, so this is happening before spider-island. In this regard people are nitpicking bendis a bit too much. Also Peter is kinda the only voice of sanity about her. He doesn't seem to need the spider-sense he straight out tells everyone she's bad and they shouldn't trust or work with her.

[
QUOTE=moraldeficiency;22149513]Spider-Island happened after fear itself, so this is happening before spider-island. In this regard people are nitpicking bendis a bit too much. Also Peter is kinda the only voice of sanity about her. He doesn't seem to need the spider-sense he straight out tells everyone she's bad and they shouldn't trust or work with her.[/QUOTE]

Based on what, though??

Right now Cap recommends her....

The only one that might truly know the truth is Daredevil. He picked up on something.

[

Based on what, though??

Right now Cap recommends her....

The only one that might truly know the truth is Daredevil. He picked up on something.

Common sense? She was osborn's biggest supporter and they just went through a whole thing with osborn manipulating everything to bring the avengers down.

Of course she's probably double agenting osborn the way fury had spider-woman work hydra. Still you can't blame Spider-Man for saying the obvious thing. It's the first smart thing he's done in the NA. Actually her and his back and forth is the first time Peter is funny without just being standard comic relief.

Common sense? She was osborn's biggest supporter and they just went through a whole thing with osborn manipulating everything to bring the avengers down.

Of course she's probably double agenting osborn the way fury had spider-woman work hydra. Still you can't blame Spider-Man for saying the obvious thing. It's the first smart thing he's done in the NA. Actually her and his back and forth is the first time Peter is funny without just being standard comic relief.

I understand that ....under normal circumstances. But in this situation, she has the main man vouching for her. Captain America.....who is also the top law enforcer....etc. Now Cap may be wrong. But he might be right.

Spidey has nothing solid except that she worked for a guy he hates. Last time I checked, "hate" ain't evidence.

I think she's up to something too. But not because I know for sure.

Way I figure it doesn't matter to Peter if god vouches for her. GG is basically responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened to Peter Parker with the exception of Uncle Ben dying so anyone that was his #2 and actually liked him is never gonna get a pass in his book, it makes sense. You idolized the guy that killed my girlfriend and so many other people? Well then I don't want to eat lunch with you.

Now you're oversimplifying things to an extreme. First she didn't just work for, she believed in osborn and what he was doing. Secondly osborn isn't the guy that peter hates for eating his lunch from the breakroom, he hates him cause he's a mass murdering sadistic sociopath that's made it his mission to hurt everyone peter loves or cares for. There's a big difference here.

It's bendis so it's the fury spider-woman thing but with cap as fury and Hand as SW. First rule of a mystery it's never the person you think right off the bat. That even goes for bad writing.

Way I figure it doesn't matter to Peter if god vouches for her. GG is basically responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened to Peter Parker with the exception of Uncle Ben dying so anyone that was his #2 and actually liked him is never gonna get a pass in his book, it makes sense. You idolized the guy that killed my girlfriend and so many other people? Well then I don't want to eat lunch with you.

Now you're oversimplifying things to an extreme. First she didn't just work for, she believed in osborn and what he was doing. Secondly osborn isn't the guy that peter hates for eating his lunch from the breakroom, he hates him cause he's a mass murdering sadistic sociopath that's made it his mission to hurt everyone peter loves or cares for. There's a big difference here.

It's bendis so it's the fury spider-woman thing but with cap as fury and Hand as SW. First rule of a mystery it's never the person you think right off the bat. That even goes for bad writing.

On one thing we agree....it's never the obvious one.

And even though everthing you listed about Osborn and Hand is true, it doesn't mean Pete has anything to go on that is solid.

That's why I was pissed about this Spider Sense thing. I guess that would make it too easy.

In MY opinion, Spidey's spider-sense has always been used as a "writer's tool" depending on the story... if they need himto "sense" something, they'kk use it for convenience... other writers will ignore it to move their stories differently...

:csad:

On one thing we agree....it's never the obvious one.

And even though everthing you listed about Osborn and Hand is true, it doesn't mean Pete has anything to go on that is solid.

That's why I was pissed about this Spider Sense thing. I guess that would make it too easy.

I'll put it to you in this way. There were two kind of people that supported the nazi's. One did so cause they had to the other did so cause they really believed in what they were doing. The later are just evil people. Hand is the later. Basically some people don't deserve the benefit of the doubt especially if they've literally been involved in screwing you over.

In MY opinion, Spidey's spider-sense has always been used as a "writer's tool" depending on the story... if they need himto "sense" something, they'kk use it for convenience... other writers will ignore it to move their stories differently...

That's definitely the case. Sometimes the spider-sense makes peter almost a precog in his ability to know things, other times he can get punched by the rhino.

I agree....and that is crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"