Would you be against Routh replacing Cavill as the "official" Superman in DCU?

Airwings

Waves of air
Reaction score
The multiverse stuff opens up some possibilities.

Keaton is rumoured to do just that with his Batman, to *be* DCU's Bats after Affleck left. He will mentoring younger heroes, but he could suit up when needed.

Routh liked to play Supes again in Crisis on Infinite Earths. When he was asked if he would want to do the same for the big screen, he was positive about it.

Last edited:
If it happens then fine but I don’t think it will.

I actually think we’ll see both again.

Nah, I still think Cavill's the better actor and better suited for the part. He just needs to be directed by someone other than Snyder.

Yes, just a bit. (He said sarcastically).

Reactions: B
I thought Routh was too corny from clips I've seen of him from Crisis on Infinite Earths (I like his Ray Palmer, though). In terms of general audience, I don't think bringing him back would work like it did with Keaton, because Superman Returns wasn't as well regarded and his newer portrayal really has nothing to do with how he played Superman in that. They might as well get someone new if they do replace Cavill.

Would I be against it if he made a cameo if they ever branched into a multiverse on the big screen? No.

Would I be against it if he replaced Cavill as the 'Official' Superman for any future DCEU Superman films? Yes.

Why would you replace Cavill, when the whole purpose for doing so would be to distance themselves from BvS/JL & then replace him with an actor who is associated with a Superman film that was an even bigger failure & was deemed completely unsalvageable? Wouldn't make any sense.

Im not interested in Rouths version of Superman. To connected to the Donnerverse, so Id rather keep Cavill around. Now if they wanted to explore Rouths Kingdom Come version on HBO Max....sure

The point is having two older incarnations of the "major two" and going forward with them. That's the reason why Routh can be called back.
It's Burtonverse and (kinda) Donnerverse meeting each other.

I'm not saying it will be very similar to the clip below but if they use it for inspiration (in a good way), we should enjoy the future of DCU.

Justice League Retro Trailer (1990s) [Fan Made] - YouTube

They should also bring back Shipp as Flash for atleast a guest appearance or two. He doesn't need to get a solo adventure. That would be overkill.
Seeing him on the big screen, wearing the old suit, would be enough. It's still a fanboy's weat dream

Last edited:
Having seen how he's grown on Legends, yes, I'd be absolutely fine. An unironic boy scout is *exactly* what the DCEU needs for a Superman.

Having seen how he's grown on Legends, yes, I'd be absolutely fine. An unironic boy scout is *exactly* what the DCEU needs for a Superman.
He was a bit too young back in 2006. He came off as a somewhat seasoned Superboy.

Now during the last few years, he got the gravitas to play the real Supermands, yes, I'd be absolutely fine.

What kind of DCU will we get with Routh (and Keaton) reprising the old role(s)? How would the tone differ from Snyder's take?
Will Routh only appear in future JL films or can he also get a solo adventure?

Can we just move on from both of these guys? I think they are both good when they’re allowed to be but Superman just needs a fresh start. I’m honestly tired of arguing over which actor did better in his mediocre, underperforming, poorly made film(s). Give me a new actor and a director who isn’t a toxic imbecile.

^ Yeah, as much as I'd like to see Cavill get another shot with a Snyder-free MOS sequel, or Routh reprise his KC Superman in another show, I honestly believe that as far the movies are concerned they've both had their chance.

Yeah. I don’t really fault either of them for the shortcomings in their performances. The source material and the directors let them down, because apparently both Bryan Singer and Zack Snyder see Superman as nothing more than a brooding dope who mourns his responsibility and makes dumb choices that ultimately endanger millions of people. I’m done with that ****.

What about the ideas for the cancelled sequel to Superman Returns?
Would some of them be a part of a multiverse adventure IF Routh appears as a supporting character Supes?

You mean where Superman kills his own son? Pass.

I like 'em both but honestly I just want to see a good superman movie, don't really care who dons the cape.

No. Unless they don't want Cavill back again. Even then Routh would be OK only if they are making a one-off stand-alone Superman movie.

If WB wants a total reboot, for a new series of Superman movies, then get someone new.

Last edited:
No. Unless they don't want Cavill back again. Even then Routh would be OK only if they are making a one-off stand-alone Superman movie.

If WB wants a total reboot, for a new series of Superman movies, then get someone new.

I actually think we’ll get all 3 options, I think Cavill will be in the Shazam Universe plus the Snyderverse should it continue on HBO Max, Routh will get a mini series of sorts (rumours are Berlanti just needs to give the go ahead) and the next solo Superman will be a complete reboot ala Matt Reeves the Batman.

Neither are exactly the strongest actors. But Routh definitely doesn't have the movie star gravitas, so... no.

Routh also hasn't really done anything relevant since? Superman Returns? (no DC TV doesn't count as relevant lol)

You mean where Superman kills his own son? Pass.
It was Brianiac who killed the son.
That part can be changed. The villain can send the kid to Phantom Zone. Or something else that works for the story.

No. Unless they don't want Cavill back again. Even then Routh would be OK only if they are making a one-off stand-alone Superman movie
Couldn't he also appear in a future Justice League of some sort, next to Keaton (and Shipp)?

I think Routh and Cavill both could have hit the mark if it wasn't for the films they were in. I would take even a return to Donnerisms now even, God Jor-El and full-blown bumbling uber nerd Clark...sigh...I would rather not but I would take it.

Just stay far far away from the last two films harping on how miserable Superman is,

Stop making him someone that everything happens to him. Let Superman have his say in things.

Superman is always a victim in recent times.

Stop.

Last edited:
I think Routh and Cavill both could have hit the mark if it wasn't for the films they were in. I would take even a return to Donnerisms now even, God Jor-El and full-blown bumbling uber nerd Clark...sigh...I would rather not but I would take it.

Just stay far far away from the last two films harping on how miserable Superman is,

Stop making him someone that everything happens to him. Let Superman have his say in things.

Superman is always a victim in recent times.

Stop.
I believe Routh is more likely to "hit the mark" now, compared to back in 2006. He's more Superman-like these days. This is a feeling I has.
He would still need the right direction, that's a given.

How would you see a possible film with him? Should they take a step or two away from the Donnerverse style even if takes place inside Donnerverse?

Should they keep Brianiac as the villain, as it was meant to be in SR II?

What about having Batman showing up to help fight Metallo? I remember something about that villain also being set to appear?
And that would mean it's Keaton's Bat. Yeah, it's the multiverse moving forward in the future for DCU

Last edited:
I believe Routh is more likely to "hit the mark" now, compared to back in 2006. He's more Superman-like these days. This is a feeling I has.
He would still need the right direction, that's a given.

How would you see a possible film with him? Should they take a step or two away from the Donnerverse style even if takes place inside Donnerverse?

Should they keep Brianiac as the villain, as it was mean to be in SR II?

What about having Batman showing up to help fight Metallo? I remember something about that villain also being set to appear?
And that would mean it's Keaton's Bat. Yeah, it's the multiverse moving forward in the future for DCU
I would much rather stay away from Donner's creations if we could but I will accept them as long as we don't dwell so much on the messianic stuff. Clark needs to be active and a driving force in the action. Welling got more of that. Let that sink in.

I do very much want Brainiac at some point. I would be happy to see him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"