Would you be against Routh replacing Cavill as the "official" Superman in DCU?

Yeah I need to see Superman face Brainiac in ONE movie before I die. I seriously can’t believe it hasn’t happened yet. I mean, look at some of the other villains we’ve gotten onscreen. How is it that Polka-Dot Man and the Rhino will have both appeared in movies before Superman’s second greatest enemy?

God, DC and WB don’t have a clue what they’re doing, at least when it comes to Superman.

It’s quite sad we haven’t had a Superman film with Braniac yet. WB should lose their rights to the character

Playing devil's advocate, but part of the reason why Brainiac hasn't been used yet is probably "Brainiac does not have a consistent concept and portrayal". I mean, it wasn't even until after the Crisis that Brainiac consistently became an AI, as opposed to some alien supergenius and/or brainwashed human psychic. Even then, what Brainiac is, where he came from, and why he wants to do bad thing have been rather variable. Compare that versus Lex Luther, who was already iconic before the Donner movie, or Zod, who was less so but has an obvious and intuitive premise.

( And it still takes kicking and screaming to get the studios to do a modern Corporate Luther, despite that being the status quo for 30 years, the success of Tony Stark as an obvious heroic analog, and the world we live in having almost literal megalomaniacal corporate techies in the multiples! )

I would much rather stay away from Donner's creations if we could but I will accept them as long as we don't dwell so much on the messianic stuff. Clark needs to be active and a driving force in the action. Welling got more of that. Let that sink in.

I do very much want Brainiac at some point. I would be happy to see him.
I can't help but wonder what Brainiac will be like, Donnerverse style.

Yeah I need to see Superman face Brainiac in ONE movie before I die. I seriously can’t believe it hasn’t happened yet
I'm with you there.
He's been appearing in live action TV, but not any film.
Like you, I also wish to live to see it happen someday.

Is Metallo also overdue for an appearance in a film? Is he a good bad guy for Routh's Superman?

Is Metallo also overdue for an appearance in a film? Is he a good bad guy for Routh's Superman?

I'd like to see a movie Metallo, but ultimately Metallo isn't Main Villain material. He's basically a powerful anti-Superman mook, in nearly all portrayals. The driving force of the narrative is whoever created him, that's who the villain of the movie would really be. He'd be great as the muscle in a Lex Luther story.

How would you see a possible film with him? Should they take a step or two away from the Donnerverse style even if takes place inside Donnerverse?

I'd rather they move away from Donner, if only because I'm tired of the resentment some fans have toward that version.

I'd like to see a movie Metallo, but ultimately Metallo isn't Main Villain material. He's basically a powerful anti-Superman mook, in nearly all portrayals. The driving force of the narrative is whoever created him, that's who the villain of the movie would really be. He'd be great as the muscle in a Lex Luther story.
True, no main villain. But still, it will be a cool character.
They should have had Metallo in Superman IV. Not the stupid Nuclear guy

I'd rather they move away from Donner, if only because I'm tired of the resentment some fans have toward that version.
Are you talking about style and tone now?
Because if Routh plays the same guy from SR, it will still take place inside Donnerverse? Right?

Are you talking about style and tone now?
Because if Routh plays the same guy from SR, it will still take place inside Donnerverse? Right?

I'm talking about everything. Don't bring back Routh or Cavill. If one of them absolutely has to be in the DCEU, use Cavill, but only for guest appearances.

In any event, the main emphasis should be on rebooting the solo Superman films and actually giving Superman a great film before this comic book movie boom slows down.

I'm talking about everything. Don't bring back Routh or Cavill. If one of them absolutely has to be in the DCEU, use Cavill, but only for guest appearances.

In any event, the main emphasis should be on rebooting the solo Superman films and actually giving Superman a great film before this comic book movie boom slows down.
So you're against a Superman from another earth, even though the Multiverse is going to explored in DCU?

How would Routh's Superman react to Keaton's Batman?
What could their chemistry be like in a World's Finest scenario?

I think the two of them would be perfect to clash with Metallo.
Metallo is just the kind of bad guy for a Donnerverse Superman. Because that version was never the amazing fighter. He only relied on his strenght.

Last edited:
I would like to see a “Kingdom Come” miniseries on HBO Max, with Brandon Routh, Michael Keaton, Chris O’Donnell, Lynda Carter, and John Wesley Shipp reprising their roles.

I’m not opposed, but I think the best solution by a mile would be to find a new actor who doesn’t carry any baggage.

I’m not opposed, but I think the best solution by a mile would be to find a new actor who doesn’t carry any baggage.
But that's the point. Routh returns just as Keaton does. They didn't go for a new Batman, but went with an previous version of the character.

But that's the point. Routh returns just as Keaton does. They didn't go for a new Batman, but went with an previous version of the character.

Let me introduce you to a man named Robert Pattinson.

Let me introduce you to a man named Robert Pattinson.
Pattinson isn't going to be in Flashpoint. Keaton is. They bring the first modern cinematic Batman back for that multiverse event
You know so well what I mean.

If somebody is going to replace Cavill, then it should be a new actor. While I like Routh, he had his shot. Give it to someone new...and younger.

I haven't seen Returns in a while. My recollection is that while it's a decent and underrated film overall, Routh himself kinda gets lost in it all and doesn't make much of an impression. I'm having trouble deciding whether that's because of a lack of focus on Superman in the same way that MOS/BVS relegates him to being a glorified Macguffin, or if it's because Routh is ultimately just kind of lacking in screen presence.

Last edited:
Pattinson isn't going to be in Flashpoint. Keaton is. They bring the first modern cinematic Batman back for that multiverse event
You know so well what I mean.

I do, which is exactly why I responded the way I did. Regardless of what’s going on in Flashpoint, we’re getting a new Batman in Robert Pattinson. There’s no good reason why we shouldn’t have a new Superman as well.

I do, which is exactly why I responded the way I did. Regardless of what’s going on in Flashpoint, we’re getting a new Batman in Robert Pattinson. There’s no good reason why we shouldn’t have a new Superman as well.
They could also bring back a previous Superman next to Keaton, even just for a one-time-shot. To acknowledge there is another Superman out there. It's the whole point of the Multiverse theme.

To have a new Superman for his own film is not the same thing. One main draw of Flashpoint is getting old actors back, those that were doing the films before DCU started.
If it wasn't, they could just never care about offering Keaton to return, and go with Pattinson instead.

MCU will include a Multiverse thing too, and they already have started to bring old actors back.

Gerard Christopher is the perfect superman alongside Keaton. Heck, his superboy was practically the Donner version. He looks great now, pumps iron and can spar off with Keaton leading the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"