Wunderland on The CW

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Deadline:
CW Developing Contemporary ‘Alice In Wonderland’ With McG And Chad Hodge
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: The CW is jumping down a rabbit hole to Wunderland, putting in development a contemporary reimagining of Alice In Wonderland. Fittingly, Wunderland hails from McG‘s Warner Bros TV-based production company Wonderland Sound And Vision, in association with WBTV. Written by The Playboy Club creator Chad Hodge, the drama project centers on a young female detective in present-day Los Angeles who discovers another world that exists under the surface of this ultra-modern city. Hodge will write the script and executive produce with McG and Wonderland’s Peter Johnson. This is one of two public domain properties the CW is developing as potential drama series for next season, along with Sleepy Hollow, which also is being produced by WBTV. Lewis Carroll’s classic has been closely associated with Disney via the 1951 animated film and Tim Burton’s 2010 extravaganza. Characters from the book also have been featured on Disney-owned ABC’s fairytale drama Once Upon A Time.

With its premise — a female cop procedural with fantasy elements – Wunderland is reminiscent of the CW’s new fall drama Beauty And The Beast, a reboot of the 1980s series. The new project reunites Hodge with the CW, where he created and executive produced drama Runaway. In addition to Wunderland, Hodge is writing/exec producing a light drama at NBC executive produced by country star Miranda Lambert, which is inspired by her childhood and centers on a couple who run a detective agency while also trying to raise two teenagers. For Wonderland, this is the second project in the works for next season based on a classic story — the company has a put pilot commitment at ABC for Westside, a Byron Balasco-written soap that is described as a contemporary take on West Side Story. Hodge and McG are with WME.
An underground world, huh....... so basically, they're doing what the new Beauty and the Beast should've done in the first place. :o

Anyway, I do think this has promise. I just hope they don't strip it of any and all fairy tale/fantasy aspects that the story should have (like the aforementioned Beauty and the Beast). Aim for something more like the 80's Perlman/Hamilton BatB, and less like the current one. The bit about her being a young female detective makes me :whatever:, though. Don't turn this into a ****ing procedural.

McG has a pretty solid TV record (moreso than on film, honestly), so I remain hopeful.

The Mad Hatter will be her love interest! :oldrazz:

Wow. This is awesome. I love Alice in the Wonderland and I would love to see this story being played out.

Not that excitied for this sadly. Hope it turns out better than it reads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"