Iron Fist Wuxia Style vs. Straight Up Kung Fu

Blind_Lawyer

Full Blown Murdock
Reaction score
I'm just curious what everyone expects out of the fight scenes. In Chinese Wuxia films, martial arts is presented as a magical and mystical thing which I think fits perfectly with Iron Fist lore. Popular contemporary examples include movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero. Basically, do we want Danny Rand fighting like Daredevil or flying around on wires and in extensive and heavily choreographed scenes that up the mysticism factor but detract a little from the intensity of actual real life martial arts?

I would like something mystical in the spirit of Chinese Wuxia films if for no other reason than to give Iron Fist his own identity and separate his fighting scenes from those in Daredevil.

Thoughts?

I love wuxia style. I think it looks the best on film because the traditional Kung fu stuff is so fast sometimes you can't see it as well.

I doubt they'll go full Wuxia since it requires a certain tone to perform well. If anything, it will be more like your classic Hollywood style Kung Fu (Matrix, John Wick). If they want to do more fantastic, they could go somewhere like Stephen Chow without the comical elements, somewhat anime in style with wuxia elements on them.

I think they'll go wuxia. Its what the character is all about, and it helps distinguish him from all their other more conventional martial artists.

Wuxia. Iron Fist isn't Daredevil. It isn't as gritty. Iron Fist is a mixture of 1920s pulp magazines and 1960s Hong Kong action films. Doing otherwise isn't true to the property.

If you want more grounded martial arts, then looks elsewhere since Iron Fist has more in common with The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon than it does with The Raid and Bloodsport. I want to see lots of wire work and fantastic elements. Otherwise, what's the point of adapting Iron Fist?

I wouldn't mind the Wuxia style, but with a harder edge. I think the fights should still be intense when they need to be. I would also like the exaggerated acrobatic wire work to feel less floaty than it can often be.

A mix of wuxia and fast paced Jackie Chan styled fights.

My druthers is... the "fantasy" quotient is higher for Iron Fist than for DD. So... If they can pull it off something that has a pinch of THE MATRIX and a pinch of Stephen Chow, with a smidge of the aesthetics to hand to hand action the Russos had in TWS.

Wuxia. Save Kung-fu for Shang-chi. Iron Fist's fighting style is more fantastical. Daredevil is just brawling.

Wow, I couldn't agree more with everybody on this thread. I only hope Marvel is paying attention. Since the original announcements iron fist is without a doubt my most anticipated show, I hope it happens!

If an old lady can knock Daredevil back 20 feet, then it's Wuxia or nothing.

As long as it's choreographed well, I don't care as much, but keep the wirework minimal unless the story needs it. It works in the context of stories like the Matrix, and looks horrible in others like Daredevil (2003) and Charlie's Angels.

I want to see the spatial distance between the combatants. Long takes make fights work well which is partially why people like the fight scenes in the Matrix, Jackie Chan movies, John Wick, and the hallway scene in Daredevil. It's why I hate R rated material cut to PG-13. Fighting looks too choppy.

Last edited:
I guess wuxia is pretty expensive. We have to keep reminding ourselves this is a tv show.

Daredevil and Jess jones had a tiny bit of action but they had to keep it practical

Daredevil had well more than a tiny bit of action.

I'm hoping for some wirework, some CGI enhancement, and a general more fantastic fighting style than the relatively realistic stuff from Daredevil.

wuxia but more actiony like "Iron Monkey" than martial artsy fartsy like "Hero"

Like the Daredevil vs Nobu fight but more refined, 10x more intricate and inherently lethal. Iron Fist must be showcased as one of Marvel's most lethal hand to hand combatants. Even greater than Captain America in his fight vs Batroc (which was one of the best choreographed fights in the MCU).

I understand completely what you mean chance Jackson. I saw a film recently called "journey to the west" which is pretty much exactly the tone I had envisaged for iron fist. Lots of martial arts but lots of Chinese fantasy and a bit of folklore involved too

I understand completely what you mean chance Jackson. I saw a film recently called "journey to the west" which is pretty much exactly the tone I had envisaged for iron fist. Lots of martial arts but lots of Chinese fantasy and a bit of folklore involved too

Awesome flick. Totally agree. Stephen Chow who was also in Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are closer to how I envision the fantasy elements of Iron Fist howbeit less cartoony and more grounded.

Saw it too a few years ago but I liked Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustke more check them out if you haven't yet

Awesome flick. Totally agree. Stephen Chow who was also in Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are closer to how I envision the fantasy elements of Iron Fist howbeit less cartoony and more grounded.
agree

I think we can go wuxia and keep the netflix tone.

Marco Polo on Netflix had this Wuxia style and Into the Badlands on Amc too, they are both serious tv show.

Into the Badlands can be violent, bloody, intense while he keeping this style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qt3EZ19s_Y

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"