X-Files 3

The Cocreator

Civilian
Reaction score
As we know there was some talk about a 3rd x-files movie, the last one wasn't really good, it was kind of disapointing actually.
I want to believe was a bad movie but it kind of felt like the pilot episode for a new tv series, the main problem was that it didn't resolve any unanswered question, that's why many assume that the 3rd wil be about the alien colonisation.
However the last film didn't really fare well and x-files may never have a proper end, the last news i heard was in 2009, the colonisation is in 2012, does anybody know any news?

X-files 2 was a huge disappointment. It was boring and like you said, it seemed like a pilot episode. Since the first one was about aliens I couldn't wait to see what the sequel would be about. We ended up getting some frankenstein crap.

I keep hearing tid bits here and there talking about how they want to bring back an alien storyline about...what else? 2012. I think they will likely make another film that will be released next year. Just to cash in on the hype of the year.

If that was the case we should have heared something already, but well, i want to believe was very secretive.

I always thought the xfiles was at it's best when it was about "evil powers" or "monsters" rather than Rosswell aliens. The episodes I remember the most are the thing in the sewer, the guy who can make things con-bust dying for a cigarette and the the who can stretch through vents. The other thing is those shape shifter guys with the needle things. The only conspiracy story that stands out was the baseball alien. The last couple of seasons became abit hazy.

I liked the conspiracy ones, expecially when the aliens were more secretive and we didn't see them, the series finale was horrible because it was only reviewing things that happened and why the hell did that alien crash into that wall? That scenne was really dumb.

I agree with Uninspired. The best episodes (lead by "Home") were the monster/urban legend ones. Sure the conspiracy/aliens stuff was exciting but it became really tedious after a couple of seasons.

i love X-Files and would like to see another movie. this time around though it would be awesome to make it a horror/mystery much like the earlier seasons. something that has to do with monsters, ghosts, anything supernatural like that. and push it to the edge as in have the film be borderline R rated.

don't get me wrong, i enjoy all the alien/extraterrestrial stories but it seemed that they overdid that as the seasons progressed.

While X-Files 2 was on the bland side I to would like to see an X-Files 3 that touches on the 2012 mythology.

I REALLY want this to happen! I LOVE the X-Files! I've seen a great deal of the episodes on Netflix and I loved the first movie. Lets hope they don't release an XF3 in Summer again. Especially since its the Avengers, TDKR, and Amazing Spider Man Summer.

I really didnt mind Xf2...wasn't too ambitious, seemed like a solid well done filler episode of the series, I had no problem with it.

One of my favorite shows ever.
This was one of the highlights of the 1990s for me.
More X-Files, the better.
Count me in.

I would see it, but I really do hope that it's focus shifts towards a monster or urban legend based plot.

yes! i agree with a monster/supernatural type plot

have it be creepy and suspenseful like the first seasons were. and why not? border along the PG-13/R rating

Another monster plot?
The last film failed because they did that and it felt more like a pilot episode for a 2nd x-files tv show.
And come on, the reason why they want to release it in 2012 is because that will be the date of the start of the colonisation, another monster plot would mean that the unanswered questions of the colonisation will remain unanswered

I am a big fan of the tv show, back in the 90s it was what got me into the UFO documentaries, reading the Fortean times, all that crazy conspiracy stuff...

But that second feature movie, my god, that was by far the worst comeback for a great franchise that I can think of, much worse than the Star Wars prequels, just absolute garbage, there was no episode of the tv show that was as bad as that movie.

I always liked the mythology episodes, I never really differentiated them from the motw eps in terms of enjoyment , that was usually for me just down to the quality of whatever kind of episode it was, (although in saying that, as I started to get more into the real life ufo docs and conspiracies, I looked forward to the mythology/alien eps more, so when they had great eps, i did enjoy them more than great motw's, as that was a prime interest, and y'know, they contained the possibility of them being a reflection of reality, so I got an extra bonus kick from that). There is no point in making a third movie about anything other than the alien conspiracy, as that is what was set up in the tv series, and a lot of fans want to see the culmination of that.
At least one good thing about the second movie was that they re-established contact between Mulder and the rest of the world, him being in hiding and on the run from the authorities at the end of the tv run, so we don't have to spend the first third of the new movie on that.

Last edited:
The problem now is that since the 2nd film didn't make much money now the new movie will probably have an even smaller budget, and this time it will be an alien invasion.
This time they will really have to make a smarter script or else it will be a big let down.
I think that the story of the 2nd was bad for a movie but it could have actually been a good pilot episode for a new x-files tv show

The problem now is that since the 2nd film didn't make much money now the new movie will probably have an even smaller budget, and this time it will be an alien invasion.
This time they will really have to make a smarter script or else it will be a big let down.
I think that the story of the 2nd was bad for a movie but it could have actually been a good pilot episode for a new x-files tv show

From memory, it didn't make much domestically, but made a decent amount worldwide, it didn't have that high a budget.

Considering it was a terrible film, and came out the week after TDK(iirc), it did pretty good moneywise.

Chris Carter actually directed some very good eps of the tv show, most notably, Post-modern Prometheius, I don't know what the hell happened there with that movie, maybe he just wasn't used to shooting a feature film on that scale, but ironically the tv show eps felt more like a movie than that film did.
Maybe it was a similar thing to Lucas, out of practice, and lost the mojo a bit.

the script was just so unambitious though, it was a film, he really shouldn't have been thinking of it along the lines of 'just another ep of the tv show', which is basically what he said his mindset was for the story, just doing another motw, although with no monster, haha, just some crooks with new tech.

I agree with Lord, some questions need to be addressed and continued to be built upon. We can gather that higher ups in the goverment are working with the aliens/covering up the planned invasion. There's still a lot of weird stuff from those last seasons too. The cool thing about X-files was getting the best of both worlds. Alien based conspiracy episodes, and the monster and urban legend based ones. You would still occasionally have some of the goings on related to the overarching story and alien conspiracy carried across the supernatural-type, sometimes in the background through certain characters. Even following everything the alien-conspiracy episodes give you just confuses a little and we know very little of the whole picture, like Mulder in the end of fight the future. So to keep up the mystery it was best that we had them investigating other strange things between the alien related ones. There were some pretty great episodes based on real legends, and cryptids that were awesome because it showed anything Mulder really believed in could be real(making scully slightly less sceptical over time).
The reason they had to focus so much on the alien stuff is because it formed so much of who mulder was. I mean his sister got abducted while he was in the room. So he himself is obsessed with it and it would make sense that he would mainly focus on those types of cases. It's what basically leads him to the x-files and gives him the chance to investigate cryptids and the like when he's not obsessing over all the alien stuff. I believe he actually enjoys himself more, and seems slightly happier, and more confident in these episodes-- resulting in them being some of the more comedic episodes. It's like a whole episode of comic relief from the main, sometimes darker story of a worldwide conspiracy that threatens every man woman and child, encompasses heads of states, every level of government...and he's at the center of the conspiracy trying to prove something they won't admit like he implies in the bar in Fight the Future. Mulder has pieced a lot more together than the viewer has at the midway point, and by the end of the series, so I'd like to see where this could lead.

Having said that I still love all the cryptid/monster episodes equally as much as I do the continuing alien mythology ones. And the idea of another film focused on a supernatural or mythic creature could be cool, done as more of a horror-style film. I wouldn't be against the inclusion of some sort of monster, but I would still want them to address the overarching alien conspiracy stuff in some way.
I feel that in the context of a film they could find a way to include both elements by having them investigating something supernatural in the beginning, that they later realize is tied into the whole invasion/alien plot. Something like them investigating an outbreak of a form of possession or shapeshifting but it really is another body snatching scheme related to the oil, and occult orders working with the corrupt members of the government to create whole waves of possessed people through ancient magic, that are being prepared as slaves for the new alien overlords.

That's just a quick example of one of the semi-tame theories that actually comes from real conspiracy theorists and could tie a few things to the alien/gov't conspiracy.

2012 NEEDS an X-Files movie. :) Or a new series.

Another monster plot?
The last film failed because they did that and it felt more like a pilot episode for a 2nd x-files tv show.
And come on, the reason why they want to release it in 2012 is because that will be the date of the start of the colonisation, another monster plot would mean that the unanswered questions of the colonisation will remain unanswered
where was the monster in 2008?

It wasn't exactly a monster, but it was a non mythology plot, the x-files franshise needs a conclusion, ans the only way for that to happen is with the conclusion of the colunisation story arc

X-files was onto the whole 2012 thing way earlier than the rest of pop-culture. If they do have a film out by next year, and its not involving the colonization plot, that would be an absolute wasted opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"