X-Files: I Want To Believe

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score

Frank Spotnitz Writing The X-Files 2
Source: SCI FI Wire
May 19, 2006

Frank Spotnitz tells SCI FI Wire that he has signed on to help write The X-Files 2.

"There's still a very good chance that we will all do another 'X-Files' movie," Spotnitz said. Spotnitz was an executive producer on the show, which starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

Another film is expected to get underway once series creator Chris Carter and Fox settle legal matters. Spotnitz says Duchovny, Anderson and himself have deals in place.

The script has not been written, but the idea is in place. "We're not going into the mythology [in the sequel]," Spotnitz added, saying it will be more like a stand-alone episode. "Of course, we will catch up with the characters and what is going on in their lives, but it's not about the alien conspiracy. It's not about that."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14617

:up:

x-files is so past it's sell by date...although I liked the movie it still felt like a missed opportunity-I like the idea of a stand-alone movie-its what the first one shoulda been-almost like a big-budget redo of the pilot.

That would have been a good idea for the long run, but that's the thing about movies: they are always about the thing of the moment. At this point in time, it's remakes, sequels, and adaptations. Hardly anything is original.

I also agree that X-Files is past its time. Seasons 8 & 9 ruined it for me. I had hoped that Fight the Future would really kick the alien invasion storyline into gear.

At the time I thought the X-Files might switch to a movie franchise a la Star Trek: TNG, or that Fight the Future would at least lead to a tighter, more amped up alien conspiracy storyline on the show. But it pretty much remained muddled, and unsatisfying.

Looking back, I always enjoyed the stand-alone eps. better than the alien conspiracy stuff, but the alien mythology is the main arc of the X-Files, and I don't see a point in doing a stand-alone X-Files movie years after the series ended, and interest has cooled.

Perhaps a STV or TV movie/miniseries might be the way to go. Or perhaps a new X-Files TV show, with new characters and a different arc.

As long as Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were involved SOMEHOW in front of the camera, I would watch that.

But I like looking at XFiles, now. I used to be SO scared of it as I was really young, but now with the technology we have now, it's great to look back on this sort of stuff from the 90s (I'm a 90s freak lol)

My favorite parts of X-Files were the mythology parts. The monster of the week were good sometimes, but the ones with the Cigarette Man and the alien conspiracy thing was just more appealing to me.

If the second movie isn't gonna continue the mythology story I probably won't see it.

I will foward to seeing something different with the movie..the alien saga started to bored the **** out of me..which is a shame i loved the series back in the day.

:up:

I dunno, I think time has passed for another XF movie, problem is, the biggest draw of the show used to be the mythology, and the show went on for too long and it ended up becoming a mess - Charter used to say his plan for the show was to last five seasons, it ended up with nine.

It would be awesome if this movie was made. I enjoyed the first one and I used to watch the show all the time. Fortunately, I stopped watching before those last two seasons :) I think I was more interested in "The Lone Gunmen"

A stand alone movie? So I guess they'd probably be back in the FBI doing their thing with Skinner and the cancer man. That's nice and all, but I wanted to see how they were going to handle the alien invasion too.

Aliens, urban legends, etc, that's all 90's stuff.

But paranoia, distrust, suspicious Government behaviour.....that's all big stuff right now.

Kevin Roegele said:
Aliens, urban legends, etc, that's all 90's stuff.

But paranoia, distrust, suspicious Government behaviour.....that's all big stuff right now.

Anything can be made at anytime... Hell, the trendsetters make the most money... With that said... X-Files will not be a trendsetter but more of the same mesa thinks...

Movies205 said:
Anything can be made at anytime... Hell, the trendsetters make the most money... With that said... X-Files will not be a trendsetter but more of the same mesa thinks...

The point is, public tastes change. Audiences are lapping up fantasy now, but in the 90's it was completely out of favour. In the 90's, aliens and conspiracy was all the rage, now it isn't.

i'll watch it, loved the series.. untill the last season and the first movie was actually good IMO

Ultimate Movie-Man said:
As long as Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were involved SOMEHOW in front of the camera, I would watch that.

one of them should write it. wasnt Duchovny an aspiring writer before he turned to acting?

I thought the alien conspiracy as the main story arc. What direction will they take now? Discovering the origin of the stump Indian beggar who liked to stuff himself in people's guts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"