• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

It was nice to see Jean not be totally useless. She was so bad in the original series that in one fight she was running, tripped over a rock, and face planted and knocked herself out.

That internal perspective of being with Nightcrawler when he BAMF’s continues to live in my head rent free.
It was nice to see Jean not be totally useless. She was so bad in the original series that in one fight she was running, tripped over a rock, and face planted and knocked herself out.
Long gone are the days of Jean moaning so suggestively and sexually, you hoped your mom wasn’t around to hear it and mistake it for something you shouldn’t have been watching. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
That doesn't sound "big" to me. More like "incredibly minor."

Someone can just say Beyonder cut Cap a break and sent him back to Earth instead of the void with Red Skull. Or made it so he was found frozen in a block of ice and unthawed instead.

Spider-Man: TAS ended with Madame Web presumably taking Peter to find Mary Jane. So that's how they are back together. It's not a very satisfying explanation that all these things happened offscreen, but that's all we can assume.

ezgif-5-7e4540905d.gif

ezgif-5-8c04c32a6a.gif

He's lucky that someone is always willing to take a shot for him.

What episode was that?

That internal perspective of being with Nightcrawler when he BAMF’s continues to live in my head rent free.

Long gone are the days of Jean moaning so suggestively and sexually, you hoped your mom wasn’t around to hear it and mistake it for something you shouldn’t have been watching. :oldrazz:

Scott: Jean can you pass me the salt?

Jean: Yes, I shall use my powers!

Levitates salt for a second, slouches and nearly faints!

Logan and Scott: JEAN!!!

Jubilee and Bobby roll their eyes.

Jean: *moans* It's too heavy Scott!

Just finished the last episode this morning. Wow, what a series! The last few episodes in particular had me absolutely hooked. My only complaint is that the ending felt a bit out of nowhere....like it's purpose was more so to set up the second season instead of servicing the end of the first season.

All in all, fantastic show that exceeded my expectations considerably.

I rewatched all of the original series in the last few weeks leading up to watching X-Men '97 in the last few days or so.

Some thoughts on the original series at first:

*I still remembered pretty much every episode from the first 2 seasons despite not having seen the show since the 90s. Those two seasons still held up really well for me with some classic stories in them such as Days of Future Past.
*S3 was a mixed bag for me. The Dark Phoenix storyline was cool and having a few multi-episode story archs was a big deal but the season felt too cosmic for me. Not enough of what X-Men really is for me (mutants and humans being in conflict)
*After this the show was starting to lose steam for me and S5 in particular was really rough to sit through because the animation had just dropped so much by this point.
*Overall I still had nostalgic fun watching the show again but as an adult I could definitely see the cracks I did not see as a kid. I also think a lot of the legacy of the show hinges on the first 2 seasons (and maybe to a lesser extent some episodes in S3).

Which brings us to X-Men '97:
*I love that they both manage to stay true to the original but also update the visuals significantly. From a visual standpoint the show ruled, and seeing that updated intro was a joy, characters getting a new updated look felt appropriate in most cases.
*The one exception I'm torn on is Morph. I'm not sure why they changed Morph's appearance and the new look kinda just made me think of Chameleon from Spider-Man. Just felt a bit like a different character than compared to the original run.
*First 3 episodes start off really strong and while I was familiar with the Scott-Madelyn-Nathan lineage from the comics I was surprised (in a good way) to see how they dealt with that here.
*4th episode kinda sucked in my opinion, no way around it. But I find Mojo to be maybe the most annoying character from the original run and more of him was bound to get on my nerves. Just felt like a filler episode.
*As a big Gambit fan I'm torn on what they did with him this season, and I'll leave it there.
*6th episode was my second least favorite and again mostly because the cosmic stuff reminded me of S3 and the stuff I didn't care for that much with the show. The Storm stuff was fine.
*I do think the last run of episodes were mostly great and as someone who got into X-Men comics around the time they started doing the prime sentinel stuff, I really enjoyed this.

Overall I'm quite hyped for a potential S2 and I guess we'll see what happens!

I rewatched the original series and then X-Men 97 and one of the things that stuck out was that in the original series Cable had a son named Tyler in the future that he was always eager to get back to whenever he had to time travel to the past, yet in 97 Cable just seemed to be reduced to Baby Nathan returns from the future as an adult. Cable is in no rush to get back home to his son. Obviously with Apocalypse around in present day, it's handy to have Cable on hand but the writers do currently have seemed to forgotten that Cable actually had a life and family in the future.

Speaking of Apocalypse, I think they are probably going to do an age of Apocalypse arc for the 2nd season. Given that Rogue was sent back to 3000BC to when Apocalypse was not yet Apocalypse, I wonder if Apocalypse is going to bring back Gambit as some weird twisted gesture to Rogue for helping him in some way in the past. I read somewhere that Wolverine became a Horseman in the comics to get his adamantium back, so maybe with Gambit potentially being Death (as he was in the comics), maybe Wolverine becomes War.

As for when Sinster abducted Jean to clone her, it's possible he may have grabbed some of her DNA during Beyond Good and Evil in which to make the clone, but I don't think he abducted her until the time skip between the two series as he didn't have the time or opportunity in the original series. The Phalanx destroyed his lab, forcing him to work with Beast and Forge, then when the matter was resolved, he high tailed it out of there. If Jean went missing, the X-Men would've immediately started looking for her, and it's not like he just photocopied Jean, making a clone would've taken a little bit of time especially if he was starting from scratch. I think he had the clone body ready to go and just needed Jean in order to upload Jean's memories into the clone. That way the switch would be quicker and the X-Men wouldn't realise a switch had taken place. The real Jean escaping was a wrinkle in his plan and he figured where she would go hence why he activated the Goblyn Queen when he did.

When we last saw Cable's son Tyler in the future, he was a fully grown adult, so Cable probably isn't too worried about him right now.

FYI:

In the comics, Tyler breaks bad and becomes a new disciple of Apocalypse, basically becoming a proverbial Apocalypse as well. He kidnapped Wolverine, attempting to make him his new Horseman of the Apocalypse and tried to fuse some stolen adamantium back to his now bone skeleton.

Wolverine rejected the adamantium and mindwipe, and it sent him into a feral rage, during which he butchered Tyler. It turned Wolverine into his "feral" beast-like form he had for a couple years before he basically turned back to normal without explanation by the time Operation Zero Tolerance rolled around.

Cable eventually forgave Wolverine, but there was always that awkward vibe between them because Wolverine killed his adopted son. Cable thought he'd have a chance to turn Tyler good again.

This is a missed opportunity. I guess those are waiting for Bishop, Jubilee, Beast and Sunspot would have to wait til next year.

We got a Bishop figure in the first wave, but I would like those other characters and costumes from Season 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"