X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

This was an INTENSE episode!

Everything Jean was superb ��. Mads breakdown as Sinny takes her over was great. Her battle with the team in the mansion was great. Do i wish they stretched it out? Yes but 10 episodes is not a lot of time. We'll see if it was worth it or not.

Which Jean has been which since their first encounter? I'm fine with them not answering that. Some things you leave up to the audience to decide and this is one of them.

This last episode...
giphy.gif

They streamlined and kinda sped through a lot of stuff, but did it in a way where it didn't feel rushed.

Glad that they found a way to do right by both Madelyne and Scott regarding the reveal, the abandonment aspect with Nathan, and letting Madelyne break free of Sinister's control. I guess as the series goes on we'll get clearer answers about when the switch happened.

But again, I really liked it. When Maddie did her henshin it reminded me of Sailor Moon. LOL

Now THAT was a speedrun of Inferno if I've ever saw one! Was kinda hoping they would have down a stinger with Cable watching from afar just to tie the two threads together. But overall a fun episode. SOOO many easter eggs for comic fans its scary. And agreed it was nice to give both Maddie and Scott a clean break. And especially a clean departure between Jean and Maddie. Kinda reminded me of what they did with Peter and Ben over in Spidey. But at the same time I do feel things maybe got too clean of a break? Are Scott and Jean just going to back to the way things were or now that Jean knows just how MUCH Logan cares about her will change things?

Like sands through the hourglass...these are the Mutants of our Lives.

Morph Cameo List: Spiral & Magik/Darkchylde

As long as you’re having a good time with it dude, enjoy. :up:

Hopefully the films get the kids in as big fans so X-Men can continue to get a lot of love in the years that follow.
I actually don't want this. I think the biggest problem with entertainment IP currently is inability to let these franchises naturally run their course. I don't need future generations to love the characters I love. I want future generations to create their own characters and tell their unique stories.

I actually don't want this. I think the biggest problem with entertainment IP currently is inability to let these franchises naturally run their course. I don't need future generations to love the characters I love. I want future generations to create their own characters and tell their unique stories.
That doesn't stop future generations from creating their own characters/stories.

Comics are like modern myths/fairytales. They've been in constant use for 80 years. They help people create original properties.

Lets keep it real though, this show was made for the kids who grew up with the original and are now grown adults. You can tell this show matured with its original audience and i really appreciate that. I agree that we’re in this nostalgia mining era where everything from 20-30 years ago is getting ressurected but this is an example of doing it right.

X-Men in particular I don’t think have been done at their best in live action films yet. There have been good films about X-Men, just not great team X-Men films that give us the best of the individual X-Men characters. So I at least want to get that once before I’d be happy to see them sail off into the sunset.

That doesn't stop future generations from creating their own characters/stories.

Comics are like modern myths/fairytales. They've been in constant use for 80 years. They help people create original properties.
No it doesn't, but it can prevent them from being the face of the brand. The other issue I have is I feel mainstream superhero comics have become merchandising for the films rather than their own thing. Comics are being written in anticipation of being adapted rather it being its own thing. Granted, I've found the genre as a whole incredibly underwhelming for about four years now and have become and incredibly cynical bastard.

My best friend Dave used to own a comic and tabletop game store. He used to say "comics are a medium wasted on superheroes." and while I don't agree with him, I do understand where he's coming from these days.

squeekness, I'm sorry your boy is currently in the C-plot, but hopefully, he gets some focus soon!

Random question about episode 3 with the shower scene…

That pretty much confirmed that Morph and Logan are FWBs at times right?

Just saying lol
It was implied that Morph has some feelings for Logan. I'm curious how that's going to play out.

Another banger of an episode. Once again, I have to rave about the animation. The fight with
Goblin Queen
was spectacular. And the Sailor Moon transformation was STUNNING!

I can't believe how well this series captures the soap opera element. More so than any other series or movie. It's fantastic.

Also, three consecutive episodes without Logan as a significant focus are wildly refreshing. Marvel gets the X-Men. You can tell a fascinating, personal, and engaging story without focusing solely on one character! I have no worries about the future movie. This has to be what they strive for.

Last edited:
squeekness, I'm sorry your boy is currently in the C-plot, but hopefully, he gets some focus soon!

It was implied that Morph has some feelings for Logan. I'm curious how that's going to play out.

Another banger of an episode. Once again, I have to rave about the animation. The fight with
Goblin Queen
was spectacular. And the Sailor Moon transformation was STUNNING!

I can't believe how well this series captures the soap opera element. More so than any other series or movie. It's fantastic.

Also, three consecutive episodes without Logan as a significant focus are wildly refreshing. Marvel gets the X-Men. You can tell a fascinating, personal, and engaging story without focusing solely on one character! I have no worries about the future movie. This has to be what they strive for.
My poor neglected boy. :( Not liking it.

Plus, sometimes when I watch Disney+ the audio goes off and doesn't match the screen. Did that to me today. Really sucks watching lips move with nothing coming out. Reminds me of bad dubs on old Godzilla movies. :(

You just know some adolescent boys and girls had their first sexual awakening watching this episode, regarding the look and design of a certain character, if you get what I’m saying. :cwink:

I mean, gyat damn! :hubba

They are really speedrunning thru these storylines aren't they?

I didn't enjoy this ep as much as the first 2. Jean's storyline is so tiresome in this franchise. And I've never been a fan of psychic battles.

Poor Cyclops. Life just sucks for him right now.

I enjoyed all the Goblin Queen material and all the psychological horror aspects.

I did have a few problems though.

The X-Men have already met Forge and know who he is. So why not just go see Forge now?

Also, didn't the X-Men already encounter this virus before? Wasn't the "Not the Legacy Virus" plague in Season 2 the same basic thing? In season 2, Cable even called it the techno-virus. Also, Cable gave Wolverine the virus to help develop the antibodies to prevent it from spreading it to mutants. Wolverine's healing factor basically became the catalyst to curing the plague. Beast tested Wolverine's blood at the end of the episode, basically examining the antibodies, so now there's a cure to this plague.

Also, this technovirus was created and designed by APOCALYPSE, who Mr. Sinister was working for in Season 4. So is this not the same virus? is it a totally different virus? I feel like there are clarifications that need to be made here.

I can only assume Jean got switched in Season 4 when she was kidnapped by Sinister and his cronies.

Another great episode. I thought this would be a 2-parter, but it managed to tell all that story in one episode fairly well. With Bishop gone, I hope we see more additions to the team permanently, namely Archangel, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. And, I guess Morph and Logan are... :awesome:

Damn, Beau DeMayo was a jerk but he was good. Loving his vision of the X-Men.

I'm glad with how this whole story played out.

Regarding Morph and Logan, having queer bating and queer coding in the X-Men doesn't surprise me. But with these two it does.

I'm curious to see where this goes and would love to see their take in openly queer characters.

Last but not least, here's my "hope to see spin-offs" comment again.

Kevin Feige might be reading this.:o

#SupportMutantRights #SupportSpinOffs

And oh, I guess we won't see this hot ass couple:

images

Lawd everything with Jean in this episode was fantastic. I also really loved the subtle yet very unique animation when it came to certain sequences like all the psychological horror stuff.

They are really killing it with the animation in this show.

Also, I completely forgot just how awesome and evil
Mr. Sinister
is.

They are really speedrunning thru these storylines aren't they?

I didn't enjoy this ep as much as the first 2. Jean's storyline is so tiresome in this franchise. And I've never been a fan of psychic battles.
Glad I'm not the only one. This episode was less enjoyable for me (beyond my audio being off). Fact is my top faves are Gambit, Wolverine and Beast. Gambit isn't get much love so my interest is already waning. Jean and Cyke have been done to death for me so I have little interest there. :( Maybe the next episode will be more my speed.

This show is phenomenal. The soap opera elements, the animation and the captivating fight scenes, the obvious love for the source material... So good. This episode had a really cool anime influence, I loved all the horror stuff. I'm so happy we have this show now. Having said that, this episode was a bit too speedy for my liking. I loved the pacing of the first two episodes, there was an ease to it, which I felt was somewhat missing for a good 2/3 of the episode. It was incredibly good, but I could've used a two-parter for this particular storyline. I'm obsessed with Morph. And with Jean. Cyclops too, I think. Rogue, Magneto, and Gambit on the sidelines, I want to see what happens. I'm hooked, can't believe we have to wait seven days for another episode.

The animation in this episode was simply beautiful.

Clone Jean’s turn to the Goblin Queen was a bit fast but understandable for a half hour show.

Loved this ep! They did so much in 30 mins it was crazy but such a fun ride heck im rewatching now after having seen it this morning.

Poor Cyclops. Life just sucks for him right now.

I enjoyed all the Goblin Queen material and all the psychological horror aspects.

I did have a few problems though.

The X-Men have already met Forge and know who he is. So why not just go see Forge now?

Also, didn't the X-Men already encounter this virus before? Wasn't the "Not the Legacy Virus" plague in Season 2 the same basic thing? In season 2, Cable even called it the techno-virus. Also, Cable gave Wolverine the virus to help develop the antibodies to prevent it from spreading it to mutants. Wolverine's healing factor basically became the catalyst to curing the plague. Beast tested Wolverine's blood at the end of the episode, basically examining the antibodies, so now there's a cure to this plague.

Also, this technovirus was created and designed by APOCALYPSE, who Mr. Sinister was working for in Season 4. So is this not the same virus? is it a totally different virus? I feel like there are clarifications that need to be made here.

I can only assume Jean got switched in Season 4 when she was kidnapped by Sinister and his cronies.
Continuity has never been a strong point of this series. Or of X-Men in general.

I want more Gambit and Storm.

And I do so miss southern belle Rogue. Movie Rogue was just…not it.

This show is phenomenal. The soap opera elements, the animation and the captivating fight scenes, the obvious love for the source material... So good. This episode had a really cool anime influence, I loved all the horror stuff. I'm so happy we have this show now. Having said that, this episode was a bit too speedy for my liking. I loved the pacing of the first two episodes, there was an ease to it, which I felt was somewhat missing for a good 2/3 of the episode. It was incredibly good, but I could've used a two-parter for this particular storyline. I'm obsessed with Morph. And with Jean. Cyclops too, I think. Rogue, Magneto, and Gambit on the sidelines, I want to see what happens. I'm hooked, can't believe we have to wait seven days for another episode.
Agreed with this. I thought it was really good if someone was forcing you to cram this storyline all into 1 episode, but all the same I’d definitely have preferred it to have been split into 2 parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"