X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

I want more Gambit and Storm.

And I do so miss southern belle Rogue. Movie Rogue was just…not it.
There’s nothing like sassy Rogue, I will always need that in my life. :tearsofjoy:

I can’t blame X-Men 1 at all for going the route they did, but they could have upped the sass factor from the sequel onwards. It will be unforgivable if we get a MCU Rogue with a sass factor below 9,000. :cwink:

OK, rewatching the episode, based on Beast's dialogue, he does recognize the Techno-Organic virus as the same one Apocalypse created and called it a "variant" strain.

That said, it's still rather convenient Bishop doesn't mention Forge by name, the same Forge who all the X-Men know and have already met.

Didn’t Sunspot appear in his mutant form on the original series? Maybe not a speaking role but I could have swore he was in a scene. If so, then yes, continuity is selective for this.

Didn’t Sunspot appear in his mutant form on the original series? Maybe not a speaking role but I could have swore he was in a scene. If so, then yes, continuity is selective for this.
From what I can find online he was not in the original show, cameo or otherwise.

The animation of the new episode was amazing. It also made me wish they made another X-Men Legends game .

It was great to see Mr.Sinister too, he has always been one of my favorite villains. He does not seem to have any redeemable qualities so you can just hate him. I doubt we ever see his true version in a movie, his look won't translate.

This show is good it is keeping its momentum was not bored at all and the adult themes in this show is astounding! Marvel needs to approve another 5 seasons asap

And Gambit is dreamy in real life too.

Couldn’t really tell they recast these roles.

OK, rewatching the episode, based on Beast's dialogue, he does recognize the Techno-Organic virus as the same one Apocalypse created and called it a "variant" strain.

That said, it's still rather convenient Bishop doesn't mention Forge by name, the same Forge who all the X-Men know and have already met.

I don't think Storm was present in 'Cold Comfort' when the X-Men faced off against X-Factor (and Forge).

Anyone think this series might actually be taking place in an alternate timeline? The thing that throws me off is them acting like Xavier is dead. He did NOT die in the original series. He left to go to space with Lilandra. While its plausible that the world may think he is dead but in '97 the X-men are acting as if he is really dead which makes no sense given the series finale. Now with the recent episode planting the seeds for Cable's return, I wonder if we are heading towards a dark future and are due for some time travel/alternate universe shenanigans to fix things that realligns things back to point before Xavier is killed

I don't think Storm was present in 'Cold Comfort' when the X-Men faced off against X-Factor (and Forge).

She wasn't. But she was present in the Phalanx Covenant when Forge rescued the X-Men from the Phalanx hive. She's also standing right next to Forge at the end of the episode.

434334385_7362008207201359_2503316182746857558_n.jpg

As mentioned earlier the continuity in this stuff is never perfect. IE Star Trek Wrath of Khan. Khan remembers Chekov despite Chekov not being in Khan's episode of the original series and Chekov never interacting with him

Technically, Storm should already know Forge and remember him from the Phalanx encounter, but they didn't really interact. It's just narrative shorthand, but I still feel like Storm should've had some recollection of Forge after the Phalanx incident.

Anyone think this series might actually be taking place in an alternate timeline? The thing that throws me off is them acting like Xavier is dead. He did NOT die in the original series. He left to go to space with Lilandra. While its plausible that the world may think he is dead but in '97 the X-men are acting as if he is really dead which makes no sense given the series finale. Now with the recent episode planting the seeds for Cable's return, I wonder if we are heading towards a dark future and are due for some time travel/alternate universe shenanigans to fix things that realligns things back to point before Xavier is killed
I don't know if it's so much as them acting like he's dead, rather that he's gone forever. The way I took the ending in the original show was that while he was leaving to go to space with Lyandra, the mood from the rest of the team seemed like they were probably never going to see him again. In order for Xavier to live, he had to leave his world behind type of thing.

She was not!

Forge has appeared and had multiple encounters with the X-Men He worked with Beast and the others to stop the Phalanx incursion, and he helped free the X-Men from the Phalanx hive. She's standing right next to Forge at the end of the Phalanx two-parter.

I don't know if it's so much as them acting like he's dead, rather that he's gone forever. The way I took the ending in the original show was that while he was leaving to go to space with Lyandra, the mood from the rest of the team seemed like they were probably never going to see him again. In order for Xavier to live, he had to leave his world behind type of thing.

Yeah, it's one of those proverbial animated show deaths. They came up with a way so he's not literally dead, but it's like he's dead because he can never return home. He's only there in "spirit."

Yeah but a lot about this show is built around its continuity with the original series.
But that's the thing. The original show didn't have any continuity. It contradicted itself dozens of times.

I dont know. That doesnt make sense to me. He's a telepath and can comunicare with them from space even if he doesnt return to the mansion. The dialogue flat out has them talking about him as if he is dead and gone in the first episode. Unless we learn that the Shi'ar werent able to save him and he did in fact die out there, it al seems odd

But that's the thing. The original show didn't have any continuity. It contradicted itself dozens of times.
It did have continuity even if there were some contradictions

Im still gonna go off my theory that this is an alternate timeline and not actually a direct continuation from the OG series

She wasn't. But she was present in the Phalanx Covenant when Forge rescued the X-Men from the Phalanx hive. She's also standing right next to Forge at the end of the episode.

434334385_7362008207201359_2503316182746857558_n.jpg

As mentioned earlier the continuity in this stuff is never perfect. IE Star Trek Wrath of Khan. Khan remembers Chekov despite Chekov not being in Khan's episode of the original series and Chekov never interacting with him

Technically, Storm should already know Forge and remember him from the Phalanx encounter, but they didn't really interact. It's just narrative shorthand, but I still feel like Storm should've had some recollection of Forge after the Phalanx incident.

Lol fair enough; I haven’t gotten to Phalanx yet on my rewatch. I think that’s S4 or S5

I just think the truth about Xavier could be backfilled in a later episode, or stinger for S2.

I was assuming that Xavier somehow messed with their minds & hid his true whereabouts, or maybe the Shi’Ar contacted the X-Men since taking Xavier to say that they couldn’t save him in the end

I don't think it's significant and needs to be addressed further. To me the finale was decisive enough to get across the idea that Xavier can't be brought back and this was the only way to save him. IMHO it doesn't warrant further explanation.

They can always do some trickery and have Xavier return in a later season. Or maybe it will be an Xavier impostor or Cassandra Nova.

I mean it did have relatively strong continuity. Yeah it certainly did contradict itself but it did get better over time. I would simply like it if this show tightened it up a bit more.

I just think the truth about Xavier could be backfilled in a later episode, or stinger for S2.

I was assuming that Xavier somehow messed with their minds & hid his true whereabouts, or maybe the Shi’Ar contacted the X-Men since taking Xavier to say that they couldn’t save him in the end
Not to mention there is a comic mini series that is coming out now that is supposed to take place during the gap between the old show and new show.

I think if there's a gap miniseries, it would be better to explain how and why Shard is no longer there and why Bishop is stuck in the past right now, along with Morph choosing the current face.

Also, why is Bishop just now joining the team and what he was doing all that time after they beat Apocalypse? Like maybe there's a scene of Shard and Bishop attempting the time jump, but Bishop's time band malfunctioned and it somehow allows him to stay anchored to the 1990s.

Previously, Bishop said the time bands have a two day charge to keep you outside the timeline. But that was before he got stuck in the Nexus and met Immortus/Kang.

Another question. I get how Madelyne can be confused but how is jean confused about when the switch happened? With her memories restored, she should know the last thing she remembers prior to waking up? Madelyne went on to have time with the X-men that she did not so she should know when the divergent point is for her

I don't think it's significant and needs to be addressed further. To me the finale was decisive enough to get across the idea that Xavier can't be brought back and this was the only way to save him. IMHO it doesn't warrant further explanation.

They can always do some trickery and have Xavier return in a later season. Or maybe it will be an Xavier impostor or Cassandra Nova.
You really dont think the X-men's founder and most prominent figure to them is significant enough to address? Wow. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I will sat having watched the series finale nad starting this is jarring to say the least when it comes to that plot point

I think if there's a gap miniseries, it would be better to explain how and why Shard is no longer there and why Bishop is stuck in the past right now, along with Morph choosing the current face.

Also, why is Bishop just now joining the team and what he was doing all that time after they beat Apocalypse? Like maybe there's a scene of Shard and Bishop attempting the time jump, but Bishop's time band malfunctioned and it somehow allows him to stay anchored to the 1990s.

Previously, Bishop said the time bands have a two day charge to keep you outside the timeline. But that was before he got stuck in the Nexus and met Immortus/Kang.
Thre's currently a tie-in comic that bridges the gap between the series. So far, Storm's hair change, Bishop being stuck in our time, Jean's pregnancy with Sinister have been touched on. Presumably other questions will be answered there too

ETA: Just saw it mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread

• Link

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"