X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

That funeral for Gambit was one of the most heartbreaking X-Men scenes period. There are obviously ways to bring him back in the future, but I think it was way better for the story not to. At least for now. Incredibly well written episode.

I said it before, but I'll say it again, Lenore must be feeling some real emotions during these recording sessions, because she had another powerful scene in this one. This time with Nightcrawler.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of
Bastion in the 90's,
but I'm still excited to see where this is going and how they change and twist some aspects of those comic arcs.

Rogue has been one of my favorites since forever.

It feels so good to see her back in the medium where she's not a victim, where she's not this gloomy person or on the sidelines doing much of nothing.

Seeing her rage, her grief, her love and her emotion in this one episode was a million times better than anything I've seen in the movies and other cartoons in the last 24 years.

Even Cap didn't want any smoke with her and she damaged a base that was designed to keep the Hulk, THE HULK at bay.

I truly missed my Rogue.

Oh yeah and...

Bastion gave me goosebumps. He was VERY creepy. Good work on Theo James part.

Great episode; this series continues to surprise.

Emma’s diamond form revealed—I expect we’ll see more of her in Season 2.

The Prime Sentinels / OZT was a good reveal. It’ll be fun to see how Forge is/was involved, and where Valerie Cooper is…

Also, was Sinister implying that Bastion is a character we know from the original series?

Josh Keaton continues his voice animation role as Captain America (Steve Rogers) . I wonder if we’ll see The Avengers in Season 2.

Another enjoyable episode. We finally see Rogue cut loose and do damage this was her best episode.

I was not expecting Cap to be in a scene with her but that was a fun interaction.
Cap mentioning his team and then the army guy mentioning Hulk, really has me hoping for Avengers appearance.

I wonder why Storm did not rejoin yet, we know she found out in the last episode. I can only assume not letting it known that the human weapon is not permanent. If they knew then they would advance more on it I guess.

Great episode; this series continues to surprise.

Emma’s diamond form revealed—I expect we’ll see more of her in Season 2.

The Prime Sentinels / OZT was a good reveal. It’ll be fun to see how Forge is/was involved, and where Valerie Cooper is…

Also, was Sinister implying that Bastion is a character we know from the original series?
I can't say I recall Bastion in any episode or video games I played.[I/SPOILER]

I wish characters would at least say the name of other characters they're speaking to (at least once) so that those of us who don't read the comics know who is who. I only knew who Bastion was because I've played the game X-Men: Next Dimension of which he was a character so the look was familiar then the end credits confirmed it. Without that, I wouldn't have known who he was so the the big reveal would've been ineffective because he would've been just some guy who Sinister is working for.

It was nice to see Bella Donna and Gambit's father at his funeral.
Again though, at least name check the characters. Who was the woman with the white hair at the funeral?
When Bastion was shaving Magneto at the end, all I was thinking was he really should be using shaving cream otherwise Magneto is going to get a rash.
Magneto being alive isn't unexpected as there were clues such as not appearing in Xavier's vision. I kind of wish he was actually dead as it was nice to have an episode where the whole Xavier/Magneto dynamic had no bearing on the plot and actually shows that the X-Men can function without either of them and still be great to watch.

One minor thing that did bug me in the episode is that when Rogue was crying over the loss of Gambit, Nightcrawler brought up Magneto too. Obviously this was to set up the reveal that Magneto was alive but it kind of came across as Rogue: "Boohoohoo! I've just lost Gambit, the man I loved!" then Nightcrawler chips in: "Also don't forget the guy you cheated on him with!"

Rogue letting Trask commit suicide/killing him was kind of dark. Obviously it turned out Trask was no longer human so there were no consequences to her decision narratively but up until that point a few minutes later, that was really unexpected.

I've got a question about Morph. I thought his power was just shapeshifting, a little bit like Mystique but in a different way, yet apparently he can replicate other mutant powers too as shown when he morphed into Quicksilver? How is Morph not a one man band curb stomping Machine? He could bulldoze enemies if he just morphed into Juggernaut.

Terrific freaking episode. A lot jam-packed, but some theories confirmed which I'm glad for.

Did not expect to be proven right when I speculated that this episode would start off with Gambit's funeral. That was heartwrenching.

Confirmation of Bastion being the one behind Genosha! Magneto being alive didn't surprise me, but Bastion keeping him prisoner did. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Seeing Cap was cool albeit spoiled due to that one trailer. And needless to say, I always love when Josh Keaton pops up in Marvel media.

Rogue going down the arc of grief and rage is compelling so far and I'm very curious to see how it develops. Moreso her reaction when she finds out Magneto's alive.

I will say, my one nitpick is that they kind of speedrun Scott finding out Cable is Nathan.

More Hank, please. :bst:

And more comments like the ones he expressed to Trish. If anyone should feel this way, it's him.

Nightcrawler's eulogy was beautiful.

Roberto's scene with his mother was pretty much a coming out scene. It was a little too familiar. :teardrop:

What is happening in X-men97 is everything I ever thought of for a future live action

I always imagined Sentinels vs X-men in a city, Bastion for the main villain. I'm surprised to see Bastion in this.

OK Xavier and Storm will be back soon. Cyclops finally knows Cable is Nathan is a good thing

Is it just me, or does it

feel like the seeds of Avengers vs X-Men are kind of being sown here for season 2? Rogue's scene with Cap felt very like when Scott tore down Cap for not helping with mutant rights, and Scott seems to be going dark. Maybe Dark Phoenix Cyclops seeds being sown?

I really want this to lead to a proper 90s TAS Avengers series!

Oh yeah, I got that vibe too. :like:

By the way, does anyone know who the white-haired woman was at Gambit's funeral? Don't seem to recognize her.

Also kind of interesting that right when Rogue and Nightcrawler are talking about her grief over losing Gambit, that there's a Dia de los Muertos celebration going on with one shot focused on a skull. Now, I think this is quite far-fetched to assume given this example, but it could also serve as more potential foreshadowing for Gambit returning as Death?

And forgot to mention, Beast quoting Mr. Rogers was everything. :don'tcry:

Is it just me, or does it

feel like the seeds of Avengers vs X-Men are kind of being sown here for season 2? Rogue's scene with Cap felt very like when Scott tore down Cap for not helping with mutant rights, and Scott seems to be going dark. Maybe Dark Phoenix Cyclops seeds being sown?

I really want this to lead to a proper 90s TAS Avengers series!

I clocked that too. I think you’re right.

So…

None of yall are going to talk about that creepy ass scene at the end with Bastion? What the hell was he doing to Erik and why did it feel like Reservoir Dogs?

I have so many questions.

bc1SPML.gif

2tm05v6.gif

3E3YpEG.gif

Jean Grey is really fantastic

So…

None of yall are going to talk about that creepy ash scene at the end with Bastion? What the bad place was he doing to Erik and why did it feel like Reservoir Dogs?

I have so many questions.
Could it possible that he wants to use a brainwashed Magneto to kickstart a faux retaliation of Genosha so the war between humans and mutants finally escalates to its cataclysmic degree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"