X-Men: character designs

N

Nairo_Warp

Hello there. :yay:

As far as you're concerned, which version of the X-Men do you like best based on the way the characters are dressed up for battle? Do you prefer the cartoon styles (90's show, Evolution or W&TXM), the Marvel comic books, the movies?

My prefered character designs are in X-Men Evolution. But not the regular costumes; I loooved the ones of the grown up X-Men shown in the mind of Prof X (season 4 finale). I like the costumes better when they are sober, dark colors, unlike yellow spandex or yellow and blue combinations. =S
So, what about you? =D

I like the character designs in Evolution better for the most part, but the costumes in this better. I hate how Wolverine looks in this cartoon so much. I think Wolverine looks odd in his costume and hate how Beast looks.
I wish they gave this show the look Hulk Vs Wolverine had. it seems like animated movies only get that style but not animated series.

Last edited:
Overall I still prefer the Evolution designs, probably because Steven E. Gordon had more influence over them and used his default style, which is usually something I like to see. He's a contemporary of Don Bluth and I was still a kid when Bluth stuff was still in animated films. But that said, some of his costume designs were hit or miss.

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN has a more stylized type of character design, but it usually uses comic inspired costume choices more often, and that works better. So they each have some charm to them.

I like the designs and costumes of this show. 90's X-men just looks clunky and weird, not to mention the series had some notorious animation studio issues.

My only thing about the costumes of this show is that they make the feet and ankles look really weird. Wolverine almost looks like he has bell bottoms.

Last edited:
My favorite costumes are Astonishing and Blue team/Gold Team strike period!
so TAS and WATXM animes

Thx for your replies, guys. :)
Oh, and in design I mean costumes AND character artwork - as in how each character is drawn. For instance Storm in Evo has nothing to do with Storm in W&TXM. I prefer the former's hairstyle but the latter's face is prettier (I like the nose ^_^).

In general, I find the girls prettier in W&TXM. Jean, Kitty and Storm are the best examples. Rogue though, my favorite character, is debatable.

i dont care for the character designs in W&TXM at all. i like Scarlet Witch, but that's it. everything else looks idk too little kid cartoony, and cheap.

Evolution looked great! i loved that style, and everyones anatomy looked normal!

For the most part, I prefer XM:E designs, except for Storm, Scarlet Witch and Shadowcat, their current designs (W&TXM) are better to me

Last edited:
I think I prefer all the X-Men Evolution designs now that I think about it. :wow:

why does quicksilver look so old??he looks like magnetos brother instead of his son?!?

I've still got a soft spot for the 90s series designs.

I thought it was because his super-speed ages him faster than what he should.

I don't like how Kitty and Beast have just been given some generic yellow costumes. I prefer the Evo colour scheme, the dark blue being the primary colour on must costumes. Although I like Gambits design, but the armour on his jacket is a little too much I think.
Scarlet Witch looks much better than in Evo. All of the Characters look better than the 90's, I believe somebody has already stated that they all look way too muscley, almost as if Xavier went round to all the local gyms to find his mutants.
Speaking of Xavier they have been incredibly lazy in his present day design, it's almost identical to his Evo design, which I kind of like.
The only other character design I have a problem with is Storm, what's up with her hair? It's huge!
I'd also like to see abit more battle damage detail on their clothes, I noticed they showed a few rips on Wolverine's costume a couple times, but I'm talking about the old school 90's show style damage where he would be missing half of his costume.

Putting my soft spot for the 90s designs aside, if I were to compare the Evolution designs with the Wolverine & The X-Men designs, I'd have to give it to Evolution, though Jean Grey & Emma Frost in Wolvie & the X-Men don't look too bad, and Wolverine didn't quite look like himself when he was unmasked in Evo. Rogue in Wolvie & the X-Men, however, looks like a horribly failed attempt at creating an animated Anna Pacquin and giving her the 90s Rogue costume.

Thx for your replies, guys. :)
Oh, and in design I mean costumes AND character artwork - as in how each character is drawn. For instance Storm in Evo has nothing to do with Storm in W&TXM. I prefer the former's hairstyle but the latter's face is prettier (I like the nose ^_^).

In general, I find the girls prettier in W&TXM. Jean, Kitty and Storm are the best examples. Rogue though, my favorite character, is debatable.

I agree. There's just something about Evo Storm's hair that makes it look much more...Oh, I don't know, somewhat normal compared to her hairstyle in TAS and W&TXM. But, I always thought the way everyone's face artwork in EVO were too bland and simple. Rogue, for example. Although the gothic look fit her personality in the series well, it really turned me off since I've been more familiar with her sexier TAS look. But that's just me.

And I agree with Panthro on the Anna Paquin wanna-be look for Rogue in W&TXM. It was just a poor mixture of her TAS costume and her movie..ish design.

All in all, W&TXM character/costume designs are pretty good.

Picking random characters...

Wolverine: I'll go with the Ultimate look from S3 & 4 in Evo. I like WATXMs mutton chops but his muscles are ridiculous.

Blob: Grunge punk vs pantless leotard? Evo.

Jean: I'll give it to WATXM's. Evo's was hot but in a dime a dozen way.

Toad: Hard to say. WATXM's looks more badass but is just as pathetic (maybe moreso) than Evo's. This one's a tie for me.

Magneto: I loved how in Season 1 Magneto was just this looming presence in a cape and shady helmet with glowing eyes and a sinister voice. But once he got character development and we saw his face, the illusion was sort of gone and he was a guy in slick top armor and...black pantyhose. WATXM's costume looks better complete and he kind of sounds like Ian McKellen. So close but WATXM's for the win.

Beast: Both were good but WXM's for getting the feet right.

Nightcrawler: Hmm...this one's a tie for me. Evo's was original and cute but props to WXM's for getting the eyes right.

Shadowcat: Another tie. It all comes down to who looks cuter on any given day, really.

I like all three animated series looks for different reasons: I like the iconicastic Jim Lee looks in the 90's series, the updated looks of Evo, and the mix of styles and inspirations in WXM (all with their exceptions, of course).

WXM is taking the Evo look and giving it a stylized, anime inspired look. Sometimes it works: Emma, Scott (out of uniform-the human condom look was never becoming...), Domino, Angel (phwoooaaarrr!!!), Nightcrawler, Scarlet Witch, Magneto, Mystique, Firestar (hurrah!)

and sometimes it doesn't: Rogue (please someone make her sexy again and fix her hair!), Storm (ditto), Selene, Polaris

And please someone put Gambit in his X-treme X-Men costume!

Two of our cosplayers, Psylocke and Shadowcat, are Wolverine and the X-Men-based :)

============================================================
166yn29.jpg

The Philippines' X-Men Cosplay Team's Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/The-Philippines-X-MEN-Cosplay-Team/382570465251

http://www.facebook.com/migueljosefrias
http://mikefrias.multiply.com

I don't really like Shadowcat in Wolverine and the X Men. Or Gambit's coat, the armor plates looks ridiculous. I prefer the Evo style Gambit where he would have just been able to walk around with his coat on and just look normal.
Cyclops looks better in WATXM, I really like his coat. It almost signifies his grief over the loss of Jean. Hopefully he'll lose it now she's back.

There's one big thing that bugs me though about the overall design of the show and that's that they all look kinds shorter, or smaller in scale. In X Men Evolution they all looked much taller.

^^Do you mean you dislike Shadowcat from a design standpoint or from a characterization standpoint?

Design wise, Shadowcat definitely looked better in Evo.

Scarlet Witch though looks better in W&TXM than Evo. At least I think so.

I meant the design. I don't really have a problem with the characterisation, but she hasn't really been explored that much so far.

I agree on Scarlet Witch, I didn't really like her in Evo that much. I think out of all the characters they've handled her best

I meant the design. I don't really have a problem with the characterisation, but she hasn't really been explored that much so far.
Ah, gotcha. No, they haven't explored her much in this series. Hopefully season 2 will fix that.

I agree on Scarlet Witch, I didn't really like her in Evo that much. I think out of all the characters they've handled her best
She was definitely a highlight of the current series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"