X-Men: Days of Future Past vs. Captain America: Civil War

Guard82

Civilian
Reaction score
Here are two comic-book movies that are, in my opinion, among the best of the genre. They are certainly among my favorites because they tell great stories with highly compelling and interesting characters. Feel free to select which one you think is best!

I personally love both films, but if I had to pick one, I would have to choose DOFP because the writing is so clever, the story is both highly entertaining and emotional, and the cast of X-Men are so fun to watch onscreen. CW is great too, but I'm going with DOFP because it was especially moving and satisfying.

Two overrated movies.

I voted for DoFP. It's a dumb movie, but not a fully boring one like Civil War is. It has a few redeeming scenes, in contrast with Civil War I had trouble staying awake, and I have a hard time recalling any scenes from Civil War that weren't in the previews.

I recall that Scarlet Witch and Purple Man made a paprika joke in the kitchen at some point, but I don't remember what the joke was or if it was funny.

DoFP has a few good scenes that work in isolation of the story or even work for real, such as the Quicksilver prison escape, and the future xmen being killed by future sentinels.

I never got the appeal of DOFP. It seemed like a really solid movie, and I'm always amazed that people were floored by it. For me, I think, it represented everything I dislike about the Fox take on the X-Men mythos, while also creating more dissonance under the auspices of correcting the timeline issues, that and XMA nuking the most interesting aspect coming out of DOFP (Mystique as Stryker delivering Wolverine) really sinks the value of this movie to me.

Civil War is an overstuffed gunshy version of the Winter Soldier to me. So, CW wins this battle everytime.

I'm not a fan of DOFP at all. It's a story in search of a sensible plot.

Both are great, but DOFP is one of the best in the genre.

I really like the Rogue Cut of DOFP, but nothing in it blows me away. It's just very solid. Civil War is my favorite MCU film and my second favorite CBM, so easy vote there.

DOFP by an inch for me.

Very tough, both movies are up high on my list of favorite CBMs. I might just give it to Civil War by a hair.

Civil War by a wide margain. DoFP along with Dark Knight Rises and Spider-Man 2 are the only CBM films I would feel comfortable calling vastly overrated. Don't understand the appeal of any of them, especially Rises and DoFP from actual comic book fans. Truly baffling.

Haven't felt the urge to watch either of them again but I'd take CW. I liked DOFP mostly because Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, and Hugh Jackman were in it. Felt meh about everything else.

DOFP for me, both very good, but DOFP is top 5 stuff for me. We all know CW will win this though.

I don't know how anyone can watch DOFP and not feel a huge amount of emotion as scary ass sentinels are killing mutants in the future, Magneto and Xavier say goodbye to each other, Wolverine drowns, and McAvoy acts his effing heart out to convince Mystique to not murder the man who tortured and killed her friends.

As a huge comic book fan, I think the movie adds a huge amount of depth to a comic book story that is relatively short and simple.

Last edited:
Civil War.

I liked Days a lot, but haven't felt the urge to watch it since the theater. Which was the case when it came out on Blu-Ray, let alone after seeing the disappointing follow up. It's the high point in an otherwise overwhelmingly "meh" series of prequel films.

As of right now, I'll take Civil War over anything that isn't The Dark Knight. Absolutely love it.

Were this any other MCU film, I would probably tend towards DOFP. But this is Civil War.

I don't know how anyone can watch DOFP and not feel a huge amount of emotion as scary ass sentinels are killing mutants in the future, Magneto and Xavier say goodbye to each other, Wolverine drowns, and McAvoy acts his effing heart out to convince Mystique to not murder the man who tortured and killed her friends.

As a huge comic book fan, I think the movies adds a huge amount of depth to a comic book story that is relatively short and simple.

:applaud

Civil War. DofP has gotten worse for me. I thought it was great after watching it but the more yoi think about it the more it falls apart. Nonsensical script saved by great performances.

Days of Future Past.

As a huge comic book fan, I think the movie adds a huge amount of depth to a comic book story that is relatively short and simple.

Because most of the movie X-Men are underdeveloped so their deaths aren't all that impactful. This is especially problematic in the case of Storm, who has had four damn movies and still nothing to show for it.

DOFP is the more powerful, exciting and thought provoking movie. Civil War is a mix of storylines that don't belong together and rely heavily on coincidences, it has an odd pacing and an unsatisfying climax. Still a good movie but nowhere near as good as DOFP

DOFP is my least favorite X Men film - I actually prefer the entertaining messes TLS and Apocalypse over it - so Civil War takes this easily

Days of Future Past. It has less spectacle, but it has more emotional weight and a lot more for me to chew on in terms of themes. I know Civil War will on this board, and I like it, but it still feels like it is fighting with the kid gloves on, and it lacks the gravitas that good Singer can bring to the mutants. Like everyone talks about Tony Stark at the end of Civil War, but Charles Xavier as played by James McAvoy throughout DOFP is just a beautifully tender and heartbreaking performance. And nothing in Civil War has the horror of seeing the future X-Men die or the catharsis of seeing everyone alive in 2023. That is like Wizard of Oz in terms of just release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"