The Amazing Spider-Man 2 You decide! How did Gwen…[spoiler]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say, it was a bit of both. Let's say she didn't hit her head, the whiplash alone would have killed her, especially snapped her spine. So, you could say the whiplashed killed her, and she hit her head pretty hard

She didn't hit the ground.

Edit: Nvm. Just watched in slowmo. She definitely hits her head. Haha.

It was the whiplash that caused the head to snap back.

Her body was far enough off the ground that she hung there with only the ends of her hair brushing it, so she couldn't have hit her head.

^ As I said above, the only thing touching the ground while she was hanging limply before Pete reached her was the ends of her hair, meaning she couldn't have died from impact trauma.

The film makers clearly meant for it to be her head hitting as stated in this interview.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/weirdest-debate-spider-man-gwen-stacy-death-neck.html

So, what of this weekend’s big-screen depiction of Gwen’s death? The filmmakers more or less dodged the question. While falling (inside a clock tower, not off of a bridge), Peter fires a web and snags her, but gets her too late, and her back and head hit the floor. If he’d fired sooner, would the whiplash have killed her? We’ll never know, and producer Matt Tolmach said that’s by design: “It’s not about the forensic details of that fall at all. I would say that there’s a tragic inevitability once you get into the clock tower… The cause of death here is love, commitment, personal choice.” In an interview with ScreenCrush, director Marc Webb said about the scene, "Originally, she didn’t hit the ground. She just bounced and her neck was supposed to break. But, what was interesting was people, when they watched that, the web represents salvation to people. They did not understand or believe or were not willing to accept that she had died — which is how it was done in the comics. So, we had to add a moment where there’s an impact wound. And then people understood what it meant."

^ In that case, the visual doesn't quite match the intent, but Word of God trumps visual depiction in cases where there's discrepancy. :)

^ As I said above, the only thing touching the ground while she was hanging limply before Pete reached her was the ends of her hair, meaning she couldn't have died from impact trauma.

That is because Peter raised his webbing up to tie it to a pole before jumping down to her. She hit the floor

To everyone who says her head didn't hit the ground, find it on YouTube or any of video site. All kinds of bootlegs are up. It's clear as day that her head smashes into the ground.

Everytime i read this thread title i think ..got pregnant..

To me it looked like her body hit the ground. It looked like the web got her when she was like a half a foot form the ground but that the momentum of the fail cased her to hit the ground has she was to close to the ground to have the web stop her in time.

I've come to the conclusion that...

[BLACKOUT]Gwen died.[/BLACKOUT]

It's kinda cool how people have different views as to what happened just like how it happened in the comics. Sort of.

She wasn't near enough to the floor to have hit her head.

If you pause at the right moment you can clearly see that her head does hit the ground, and even her shoulders, arms and feet. Her back bends 90 degrees at the moment the web goes taught. The web stretches and then raises her back off the ground, bouncing slightly.
It's actually pretty brutal.

Also, the scene was entirely silent from beginning to end, so there couldn't have been an audible thud (or snap, for that matter).

It wasn't silent. You watch a bootleg?

Last edited:
Yeah that's how I saw it that she hit and then boced because the web when it got to her wasn't far enough form the ground so the foce made her continue and hit the ground. So I think the web got to her before she hit but that she continued to fall for a spilt second. If the web had got her a split second quiker then she would have still fail for a split second more but would have came up just short of hiting.

I'm loving the ambiguity, JUST like the comics :)

The ambiguity of it did make it seem more like the comic. That's how I felt when I saw it. It happens so suddenly that I wasn't sure if she hit the ground or not. But in reality there is no ambiguity about that, she definitely hits the ground.

If that was the case we'd see a big consensus one way, just like in the comics, it was later confirmed as whiplash, but at the time you couldn't tell. Now in theatres, you can't really tell, but when you slow down frame by frame the scene in question it becomes clear, very cool regardless.

Just watched it again on Youtube and Gwen's head did hit the floor. She may have also broken her neck because that is what happens in the comics but the main factor was the head trauma.

So... It's confirmed! She hits the floor!

It wasn't silent.

Yes, it was. They went slow-mo with the web tip forming a hand, Gwen mouthing Pete's name, the webbing snagging her body, and the brutal sudden stop, and pulled all the sound out of the soundtrack for the entirety of the sequence, which made it all that much more effective.

You watch a bootleg?

No. Saw the movie in theaters on Friday.

I'm looking at it right now. It's not silent. There's a thud.

"The force of the web yanking on her torso"

Christ, really? Is it not obvious? She hits her head. Her neck MIGHT have snapped too, but the main thing is the head impact, thus the nose bleed.

I swear, she could have got shot in the ****ing head and you guys will still debate the cause of her death.

EDIT: And Gwen hitting the ground ISN'T silent.

"originally, she didn't hit the ground".

http://screencrush.com/amazing-spider-man-2-ending/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back