Young Justice Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ion Kenshin

Torch Bearer
Reaction score
via BleedingCool
Apparently there is a new animated series in the offing, Young Justice League. Very little is known about it. Is it more of a Teen Titans (collection of sidekicks and younger superheroes), a Young Avengers(new characters mimicking existing superheroes) of Her-Oes(de-aged characters in a new setting)? No idea.
But we do know it that Stephanie Lemelin is doing on of the voices, that of Arrowette. Because she went and blabbed on her blog, and even provided this little snippet of artwork.
Arrowette is of course a character from the Young Justice comic book, whose mother had previously appeared in sixties Justice League Of America. So can we assume that Young Justice League is some kind of animated adaptation of that now-abandoned youthful revamp Young Justiceby Todd Dezago and Peter David? Pretty please?
Stephanie is better known as the character Thorne in Cavemen, and played Mei Ling in Kung Fu Panda.
Arrowette-Avatar3.jpg

A forum poster "AnimaTed"
also recently spread word of this series among others. Here are a few quotes:
Cartoon Network OFFICIALLY Announces "Young Justice" animated series, and Mad Magazine
Have you heard the news? Today Cartoon Network announced not one, but two new shows sure to bring a smile to regular readers of THE SOURCE. Here’s the skinny:

MAD MAGAZINE is an animated sketch-comedy series produced by Warner Bros. Animation that uses the iconic MAD Magazine, published by DC Comics, as inspiration. Expect a chaotic mix of animation styles and twisted humor to pull back the curtain and expose the truth behind movies, TV shows, games, pop culture and, of course, curtains.

“You can expect to see some familiar faces on screen and big names behind the scenes,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. “The show will unleash MAD’s irreverent take on pop culture and today’s headlines, and feature classic characters including Alfred E. Neuman and Spy Vs. Spy. Our partners at Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network are helping DC Entertainment revitalize the cherished MAD brand across all media.”

Behind the scenes, animation buffs will find some distinguished names. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken) and Mark Marek (KaBlam!, The Andy Milonakis Show) are the producers.

Pretty fantastic news, right? But, wait, we promised there would be more and, yes, there’s more…

YOUNG JUSTICE is an all-new series produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon the characters from DC Comics. In YOUNG JUSTICE, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over – to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? How much harder will it be to prove yourself in a world of super powers, super villains and super secrets? Are you ready to come of age in such a world? Are you ready for life or death rites of passage? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? The members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—are about to find out.

“There’s much more to come from DC Entertainment,” said Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer. “This is just the beginning.”
Young_Justice_toon.jpg

Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.

sweet but none of you pics show. I loved Young Justice.

who is the green girl in the back behind Superboy?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's probably Miss Martian...

Ok weird now I can see the pics. CBR confirms:

Though it's been rumored for a number of months now, an animated version of the DC Comics teen superteam Young Justice got its official announcement today via DC's The Source Blog and the Cartoon Network 2010 upfront announcing new programming for the coming year. Presumably based on Peter David and Todd Nauck comic of the same name which ran for 56 issues starting in 1998, the "Young Justice" series will feature a "junior Justice League" consisting of Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash, Miss Martian, Artemis and Aqualad.

However, at this point it's unclear exactly how much these characters will synch up with the original "Young Justice" series or the modern DCU as there are changes to the team evident even in the early teaser image. For example, Artemis is a name that's never been associated with a teen heroine in DC Comics, though the design of the character does resemble the former YJ member Arrowette. Similarly, the new version of Aqualand produced for the show is black, adding a bit of diversity to the all-white lineup of what is obviously a one-for-one comparison to the classic Justice League (although Green Lantern appears to have no teenage representative).

At the upfronts, Cartoon Network also announced plans for a satirical "MAD Magazine" cartoon which will operate as an anthology-style show featuring "some familiar faces on screen and big names behind the scenes. The show will unleash MAD’s irreverent take on pop culture and today’s headlines, and feature classic characters including Alfred E. Neuman and Spy Vs. Spy. Our partners at Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network are helping DC Entertainment revitalize the cherished MAD brand across all media,” DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson told The Source.

Aside from these two shows, the latter of which includes producers from "Batman: The Brave & The Bold" and "Robot Chicken" aiding in creation, the network also announced a new take on Warner Brothers classic Looney Tunes called "The Looney Tunes Show" though now air dates were announced as yet.

Check out The Source for more information, and come back to CBR as soon as more news on "Young Justice" and "MAD Magazine" is available.

Man I hate Superboys dumb damn tshirt he looks ******ed next to all of them:cmad:

I was talking to Todd Nauck this weekend and he's looking forward to this show. I LOVE Todd Nauck.

Great...looking forward to this show.

Nothing will ever replace Justice League Unlimited (and I was never a fan of how they did Teen Titans), however I am beyond pissed...where is Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)?

Here are 2 designs that I feel would have fit Young Justice perfectly!!

Version 1: a younger Cassie
cassie2r.jpg

Version 2: an older Cassie in a Donna Troy-ish costume
cartoonwondergirl.jpg

I'm kind of pissed they aren't using the actual YJ lineup. Where's Secret or Wonder Girl?

And while I love to see minority characters, why not use Empress? There aren't enough black female heroes.

Hopefully it's good.

So its the Teen Titans basically. But I guess that was the only way they could pitch the show. I'm glad, now that Tv to stepping up to the current comics. Superboy makes his first debut beyond the comics. Gotta love the race bending. They made Aqualad "black" or at least the dark skinned of the group. Surprised they didn't just use the female Speedy for the green arrow counterpart. I wonder who will actually lead. Superboy is pretty front and center there while robin is off to the side.

ugh, I got all excited about this announcement when I saw it on the Hype's home page...

and then I saw the picture.

If you're gonna call it Young Justice, it should at least resemble Young Justice. I understand that they're trying to distinguish it from the Teen Titans cartoon, but a major way to have done THAT was to make it YOUNG JUSTICE. The only shared character there would have been Robin, since they didn't use Kid Flash and Aqualad but for a few episodes of TT.

Characters? hey, let's change them and use crappy ones for the sake of "diversity". We can make Aqualad black, sure. And who wants two white females on the same team? let's keep the Artemis chick (who we just made a new name for instead of calling her Arrowette, or even using the current Speedy) and get rid of Wondergirl. We'll use Miss Martian, because she's not white...and people LOVE her....

for character designs, I don't see why they made so many changes. Miss Martian is pretty much the exact same as her comic counterpart. but they gave Kid Flash goggles and shoulder pads? The Robin design I think looks pretty good actually, even though I will always want Tim in green. can't really see much of the Aqualad costume, but it looks fairly reminiscent of Garth's Tempest suit. but why for the love of God did they give Conner a brown belt and shoes when he's wearing a black t-shirt? that still bothers the hell outta me.

this series looks like it could have some real potential, but I really don't understand some of the changes they're making. I've already got a negative view of this thing, so hopefully more promo pictures will be released that'll change my mind. and hopefully the writing will be good enough to keep me interested.

Last edited:
Frankly, getting Greg Wiesman after he was jerked around by Sony & Marvel on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN is a coup for Warner Brothers Animation. Disney has hired, then fired Greg quite a few times, and hopefully they appreciate his work. His addition as producer alone almost ensures that at worst, this show will be above average, with excellent character interaction.

It's called "Young Justice" although it does seem like a mix of that and Teen Titans, only hopefully less "anime fluffy". It looks cool. It is fun to see that DC has more stones about giving other characters a shot on TV than Marvel tends to.

FYI, "Aqualad" is actually closer to Lagoon Boy from YJ.

Hopefully Warner Animation gives Greg the respect he deserves. :up:

Hopefully this will be closer to Legion of Superheroes than to Teen Titans.

Legion was actually pretty good.

Looks good but would be alot more excitied if WG/Cassie was part of the lineup. The Wonder family always get the boot in these things.

fits his 'farm-boy' persona.
Totally. That's why Clark never wore a proper costume, either.

Oh, wait. :dry:

Anyway, this looks interesting. I don't really mind that Aqualad's black or that Arrowette's got a new name, and I like the cast as a whole. It would've been nice to see Cassie, but I'm not a huge fan of her or anything. Even though the look is definitely more Teen Titans than Young Justice, I hope the content of the show skews closer to the Young Justice comic. That was a lot more fun than any Teen Titans comic I've read.

Last edited:
I like the T-shirt look. Its not like Superboy needs armor or anything.

It bugs me that he's in plain clothes, even though he's heir to THE superhero legacy. Superman embodies everything superheroes are all about, and costumes are part of that.

But plenty of people love the boring shirt and jeans (or fatigues, it looks like, in the show), so I'll just shut up. I've had this argument like 4 times now and I don't feel like doing it again. :o

I know he doesn't need armor but he wears the same thing in his regular persona. Jeans and tshirt fit on the farm not fighting bad guys.

I came up with a costume for Connor:

ojk1v7.jpg

Artist's Comments Well this is my first ever entry here and it's sort of a frankenstein Project. I've always hated Superboy's tshirt and jeans look, I think it's ridiculous. I might be in the minority here but I like my hero's to look super.

So I saw a redesign of Conner by Wiernigo that I love the 'S' shield on but the rest was a bit plain. So I posted it over at the superherohype.com fanart board asking about how other would redesign a real costume for him.

One design by the Corpulent1 I really like elements of so I took a Mik Mckone drawn Superboy body (since I suck badly at drawing) and put together elements that I liked and another poster M.O. Steel Helped me clean it up and here is the finished product and what I would love to see him in.

Awesome...Definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully we get to see some appearances by the original members of YJ since most aren't in the lineup being described for the show.

I'm in the Connor doesn't need a costume boat. He works with just the shirt and jeans.

He's a superhero though nothing super about shirt and jeans.

I didn't like the jeans and tshirt at first, but it grew on me over time....there might be nothing super about shirt and jeans but it really doesn't matter when he rips apart the getaway car you're driving in

It's not a terrible look for him or anything, but I just don't think it's fitting for the heir to the greatest superhero legacy of all time to be bumming around in a t-shirt and jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"