Your Perfect Joker

batman_01.jpg

Everything ... even the fact that he isn't perma-white. I like the realism and the angle that he enhances himself for theatrical purposes to compete w/ this new Batman legend.

Love this characterization too ... he's the harlequin of hate, the GRIN reaper. Someone who is very intelligent, and mysterious. I love the combonation of the original Joker look (black eyes) and characterization, combined w/ the fresh take of Lee Bejermo.

I love the "chelsea grin" angle ... a tactic used by mobs in England, where they cut a smile and made you laugh to split your cheeks open. Takes it back to the concept Joker was originally based off of aka The Man Who Laughs, where a rival gang disfigured the character.

This Joker is truly the most terrifying interpretation. Not overly comical and corny, but still a freak of nature with an accent of the theatrical. Entertaining, but not with out losing his lethal prcense. IMO, the perfect Joker. A Joker I could believe could exist.

BOOM said:
Smile: The Joker does not have a permanent smile or a chelsea grin. This Joker is able to express a free range of emotions. Like The Guard said, The Joker is terrifying because of WHY is smiles. That is taken away if he has a smile permanently fixed onto his face. He smiles because he wants to, not because he has to.

I diasgree. Heath's Joker can still express emotion, and really smile when he wants. See above picture for example. It's just the image that he can't not change the fact that even when he is expressing anger, there is still this disfigurement that places a smile on his face. It's creepy. Plus, the Joker has been described as having disfigurement. His smile isn't natural. It's rictus and abnormal. Like Batman's lenses, which in real life would be a fixed shape, changes in the comics to show emotions. This is what I believe to be the case w/ the comic book Joker. And even if you argue otherwise, I believe the man with the "change less mask like face" as described in his original creation, is more intimidating and compelling.

In regards to the make up issue, I like it ...

It isn't strictly his skin being bleached that makes him crazy or the Joker, it's A PHYSICAL DISFIGUREMENT ... whether it's a scared smile that makes him "stranger" or his skin being bleached white, that sends him over the edge.

Plus, for the first 11 years of the Joker's existence, he just WAS. They didn't explain his look, or whether his skin was bleached or not. In fact, in his first issue, he says he is the master of disguise, and he is seen not having white skin. It very well could've been makeup. It's open to interpretation.

Plus, I think the idea he sees this scarred smile on his face, and he deliberetly applies make up to accentuate it, and then runs w/ this character he creates out of insanity "the Joker", makes him all the more interesting.

The voice is a little too high-pitched for a live action flick. At some point it would just be freakin' irritating.
Seriously. I personally found it annoying even as a child watching the cartoon. His performance didn't frighten me even the way Nicholson's performance did. Yet everyone always proclaims it to be the "definitive"

:grin: = HIGH ON CRACK

I thinl Ledger's voice is the perfect combination of gravely terrifying lows, and crazy insane shrieking high pitch tones.

Overview:

Build: Impressively, though naturally, lanky. Long lean muscle, but not much of it, because I imagine him to have the kind of body type where not eating enough and moving enough consistently means the muscle just keeps sliding off. Not girly sort of frail, just bony and long-limbed. Pretty bendy, very fast, but not enough muscle to have much endurance. Sharp shoulders, very narrow waist, quite narrow hips too.
So mostly as in the current age comic canon, really.

Personality: we're looking at someone quite erratic. Similar to schizophrenia, but also with a mentality that's given up on the societal norms entirely. Societies crumble and leave people raving monsters, so nothing he does is going to change that. Of course, add in some severe bipolar and a lot of unexpected triggers. He's not 'crazy' so much as 'painfully unstable', I guess. I mean, he IS crazy, but that's not what defines the way he acts.

Background: Chemically induced brain damage and some pretty thoroughly repressed memories stop it from being something he knows. Maybe Batman could work it out, if he really tried, but it's not really the main issue, so Bats ignores it, I guess. It'd take a lot of effort better used in making people less killed.

Specifics:

Skin - not albino-pale, where it's translucent, but the pigmentation, the melatonin in his skin, is actually WHITE. So obviously it can still blemish and bruise, and he can blush, and where the skin vessels are so close that they change a dark-skinned man's skin tone - nipples, genitals, lips, around the eyes, in the nose, etc - you can see some colour. Which also means that it can be sort of patchy-ish, if there's something wrong with his skin somewhere, and since he eats reeeaally badly when he's broken out, malnutrition has left faintly grey patches on his skin. Also, there's some roughness from scars and burns that leave super obvious marks on his white skin.

Hair: Green, but not totally solid single tone. It's a 'natural' green, so like a natural brown or natural blond, there's various shades in there. In some spots, there's almost a brown tinge, and as he 'greys', it's going wintergreen at his temples.

Facial structure: Narrow and bony, but not a caricature. Long-faced to a believable extent, wide mouth, long sharp nose with a narrow bridge. No giant chin, no impossible/improbable nose.

Eyes: Probably naturally rather vivid green, for preference, though a pigment-free red might work, with small pupils from the high adrenalin, and makeup, yeah. He doesn't like the veins crisscrossing his eyelids from lack of sleep and so on, and the pinkness, so sometimes he wears eye makeup, sometimes not. Depends on the mood.

Mouth: Doesn't need lipstick, his lips are so close to pure red, so delicately free of pigment - from being damaged by the chemicals, so they're thin-skinned and prone to split easily - that holding a red swatch next to them, there's no difference visible. Free movement, though rather broad outwards, and slightly thin.

Smile: The smile itself, not a frozen one or a chelsea smile or anything. He grins automatically when he's feeling awkward, or cheerful, or nervous, or angry, or most emotions. And he's pretty hyperactive, so he finds a lot fun.

Clothes: BIG WARDROBE. Like, super huge. He likes purple suits and coats, because they flare out against his skin and hair and look so vibrant, but he likes to impress. Sometimes he'll go for a suit, sometimes he'll go for something shabby. Depends on mood, really. No totally automatic costume to wear. He's trying to accentuate the 'clown' aspect while still being snappy enough to intimidate and cause people to double-take.

Themes: Would be - mocking. Sometimes grimly, sometimes cheerfully. How bleak the humour was would have nothing to do with how terrible the crime was. World-weary cutting sarcasm humour Joker stealing a few hams for the hyenas, giggly childish, bright-eyed Joker gassing thirty Arkham staff members - either works. Sleight of hand and other things which involve hand dexterity, too.

Acting/Effects:

Voice: Close to Heath's, but without the twang to it. Think of Heath's voice, with Mark Hamill's inflections and nuances, and then add in Cesare Ramero's absolute delighted little sound, and Heath's growl but Hamill's various laughs. A bit more expressive than Heath's voice, which was ominous; I reeeallly liked that depiction and had a pathetic man-crush on him for a while because of it, but Joker's most jarring when he's bizarre. (I think that's why the Nolanverse works so well; it seems so close to real, which makes our 'heroes' and our 'villains' both seem utterly warped. I like it, though Joker seemed less crazy, to me, than Crane in the preceding movie.)

Makeup effects?:

Perhaps an albino actor with powder. Eyeliner and shadow on the eyes, but not too panda-esque. Red lips, probably with pencil rather than lipstick, so they look naturally coloured and not glossy.

My favorite portrayal of The Joker is the way he's portrayed, character-wise, in The Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, and The Dark Knight, which obviously used those as inspiration and was pretty in line with them. The perfect mix, IMO, of humor, menace, evil genius, and maybe a hint of a tragic past.

However, physically, I didn't like Ledger's scars, hunched posture, makeup, or hair. I never liked The Joker with a perma-grin, he should just have this freakishly wide Cheshire Cat type grin, and I like his build to be lanky, rail-thin, with his hair not as disheveled. My ideal Joker puts more care into his appearance.

My Joker has a long, thin face but not to a caricaturish extent. I always pictured someone like Paul Bettany as at least physically fitting "my" Joker, especially seeing him in Gangster No. 1. Bettany was my pick for the role before I knew anything about Ledger.

The voice I hear is somewhere in the general area of Mark Hamill's but not as cartoonish. I liked Ledger's voice fine too, but I "hear" Joker being a little more high-pitched than Ledger but not as much as Hamill. Kind of a happy medium I guess, between Hamill's giddy helium voice and Ledger's sinister growl.

I liked Ledger's wardrobe, but I always thought the coat should have been longer, almost down to his ankles.

I always picture him moving smoothly, almost gracefully, kind of a little weaving dance when he moves. I don't mean literally dancing, but having that bouncy, erratic quality to his movements. Almost having a kind of otherworldly way of moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"